Blaze of Glory Demo Video

Community Forums/Showcase/Blaze of Glory Demo Video

Rico(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi I made a video of my BlitzMax game 'Blaze of Glory'. It is my first Blitzmax game, and I am using Brucey (and Erin's) Box2D module for physics. All the info about it, is on the video information in YouTube. Click 'more info'. It does have proper bitmapped graphics but I forgot to switch them on in the video! Anyway its all about the gameplay! (which is a lot like Space War)

Please watch it in full screen mode (click button on bottom right of video control) because everything looks very small otherwise. The video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BkTo2sT03Y&feature=channel_page

I hope you like it :)

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#2]
That's pretty cool.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#3]
Hey thats looks like it could be a lot of fun.. lots of physics going on

Give that game a purpose/levels/story and you've got something there.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#4]
i love physics games.. looks good.

Rico(Posted 2009) [#5]
Thank you for the nice comments. It has taken me quite a long time, but there is lots more to add. I plan to make quite a few levels. At the moment items falling on the ships have cause no damage, but I plan to make it so they will crush or damage the ships.

The AI of the enemy is just terminator like at the moment, so its not like fighting a proper person. Thats why I am always running and turning cos he is so accurate. You can also beat it a bit my circling, cos he turns slower, but my piloting skills are too rusty to show that off. I am working on pathfinding and making it better :)

I might make a small vid with the actual Graphics - but they are pretty terrible anyway. I had to draw the players ship in lots of pieces which took ages (so it can have bits shot off).

Please I welcome all comments good and bad on my game.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#6]
Rico, I think it looks good as is. But i was wondering while watching the video . Is it possible to skin the shapes with textures ?

Rico(Posted 2009) [#7]
Ah I don't know. They are drawn just using standard Blitz drawing commands. Someone more skilled could maybe do it. I quite like old-skool bitmapped gfx, so i like that look anyway.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#8]
Right, I like it too. I was just curious

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#9]
it looks very good, just add some levels and youre good to go

Yeshu777(Posted 2009) [#10]
Looks good, reminds me of Oids on the ST.

Rico(Posted 2009) [#11]
Thank you both. Yes i have lots of ideas for new levels. There are also some extra weapons I will try to add (as long as they don't mess with gameplay). The big ball shot at the end will actually be a wide energy beam weapon, but you are just seeing the collision outline. I would like homing missiles too (fairly loose tracking, so you can dodge them) I also would like to have some with moving walls and also opening/closing gates - that can crush players if they mistime their passage through.

yeshu777 - yes a few people have said similiar things. I borrowed the Nucleur reactor from Thrust - a precursor to Oids (tho it was drawn from memory). My game is more based on Space War, whcih has the same kind of control system. I have Space War on the Vextrex and it is great fun. You can also get bits shot off your ship, so I borrowed that too :)

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#12]
I just watched it again, I guess I didnt see it all last time.. It looks really fun. The little guys are a funny touch. I could have fun with a physics version of Chopper. Quick maneuvers send your rescued P.O.Ws falling from the heli :)

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#13]
Just a tip, when you do the finsihed version make the screams cute, instead of bloodcurdling. Like the lemmings for example.

Rico(Posted 2009) [#14]
Thanks for the tipIts the scream from Psycho at the moment (Janet Leigh?). lol, so quite extreme. It gets played at different frequences. There's a slow motion mode where it plays really slowly. I am making a new video with intro and actual graphics turned on, which features slow motion mode. They are just placeholder graphics so they look rubbish anyway!

Thank you RifRaf. There is a lot of unnecessary cruelty to little men going on in my video :) That sounds like a good idea - its always funny to see small computer men get hurt. But at least you can pick them up again? In Defender they used to explode if you missed catching them!

Yeshu777(Posted 2009) [#15]
Looks good, please keep up the development...

I thought Oids was brilliant.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#16]
ok nice to hear

Rico(Posted 2009) [#17]
Its a bit rubbish but here is my new vid, with dodgy intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B1WoQD9Jc0

All the graphics are rough, and the people are meant to be the pilots, because you will be able to choose your ship. (they will be replaced with people who look more like pilots later). The red stuff is actually going to be proper flames.

If you skip past the intro there is some gameplay with the graphics switched on (its exactly the same game program) . Unfortunately FRAPS made it go a little slow, but it is smooth normally. As you can see the graphics are still scratch (placeholder) graphics. I just wanted to check I could do graphics ok.

I am not actually that pleased with the speed of drawing, since it only runs smoothly in non-debug mode, and I have quite a powerful computer now. I'm sure something must be wrong.

Apologies if this vid is a bit boring but its mainly showing the graphics and also having slow-motion shots of the men falling out of the ship.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#18]
the intro is exactly like a dodgy arcade action-game intro from the 80's-early 90's ha ha ha

Rico(Posted 2009) [#19]
Yes. lol. I hoped it might be quite entertaining. It will get better, but I can't see it improving much :)

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#20]
:) is perfect...

i like when you get out of scenary :) and the physics!

the red one, fire directly to the position of the enemy...
if the red is command by a IA. maibe you can fire directly ahead, using the enemy speed to calculate how much ahead you must fire..
the only way to avoid that fire, is changing your speed or direction...

that makes a ia more intelligent...

regards...

Rico(Posted 2009) [#21]
Thanks Latatoy :) Yes thats a very good idea. I will look into doing that when I improve the AI. I need to add some pathfinding too, since its just tracking the players position and using line of sight. It also tries to avoid getting too close to platforms at the moment, but not much else. Thanks for the tip.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#22]
maibe you can add some waypoints for the IA..

points like defense points, atack points or patrols, corners, obstacle (stay away), or something like that...

but the IA in the video has good moviments... realy nice...

regards!..

Rico(Posted 2010) [#23]
if anyone wants to see this game its here now (i lost my old Youtube channel :( )

Gameplay Video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZHZFAlGJ6c

Dodgy early 90s Intro for game + shows ingame graphics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2jWMFFr_Xk

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2010) [#24]
Wow, that looks cool & fun.

Jason W.(Posted 2010) [#25]
I forgot about this, so I'm glad you re-posted vids!

This would be a good android game ;)

Jason

Rico(Posted 2010) [#26]
Thank you :) a guy asked me if i could make a flash version, but i wanted to make a new game instead. i will go back and finish this one day :)

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#27]
That's one of the coolest little demo's I've ever seen! :)

Dabz

Rico(Posted 2010) [#28]
Hi Dabz, thank you very much :)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#29]
The vid seems to have disappeared...

Zethrax(Posted 2010) [#30]
@John Galt - Read Rico's second post above yours. He posted links to the new video locations.

Those videos give a whole new meaning to the phrase 'Breaking down the fourth wall'.

I'm guessing the sprite graphics characters at the start of the second video are what got you into trouble with your original videos. I'd recommend that you remove those, if they're stolen from another game.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#31]
Whoops... thanks, Bill.

This looks like a lot of fun. The enemy AI looks pretty impressive.

Rico(Posted 2010) [#32]
Hi :) thanks very much Bill and John.

Bill - oh no it was another video i had up, they said it was advertising and terminated my account straight away. strange because they allow people to post whole TV commercials on there. i would of at least of liked a warning. i contacted them a couple of times but they never answered, so i gave up and made a new channel :)

those characters at the start of the intro are taken from the King of Fighters games (by SNK) . one day they will be replaced by pilots :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#33]
Very cool looking game, it raised a smile when shooting the bad ass line of code initiated the AI of the 'enemy' rocket. Nicely done!

Rico(Posted 2010) [#34]
Thanks Blitzplotter :D that was real code i copied to make that sprite/bitmap - not the bad ass bit though obviously lol. in the actual game that might be a cheat code to give you all weapons.