Tiny Tanks Alpha Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Tiny Tanks Alpha Demo

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#1]
First I applogize for multiple topics on this project. I didnt think many people were looking at the screen shots topic, and since it was not properly named to indicate the demo. I made a new topic.

here is a small movie if you dont want to be bothered with downlaoding the demo. but the movie and demo are about the same size, and I hope you snag the demo because I need to see how it performs.
http://www.empowergames.com/TinyTankLow.wmv

Please post here if you cannot connect. Im not sure if I have the ip config file set just right on my webserver,my router ip may not be what i think it is. easy to adjust on my end if need be.

EDIT -7th june- : Updated Link
About 14mb download.
http://www.empowergames.com/TinyTank_Alpha.zip

remember its just an alpha, its somthing ive messed with in my spare
time for the last two months wich equates to a week or less of real work.

Please let me know what "gltiches" you see in there. The active server
atm will be named RIFS REMOTE EEPC, the other listed servers are down
right now, or local listing for my router.

============QUICK HOW TO PLAY============
: its CTF so the object is simple enough.

---IN GAME GUIS---
in game hit enter to start typing in chat, enter again to send
hit escape or mouse button 2 , this will bring up the quit/options menu
when in the options menu you cannot aim your cannon.

I suggest you change the resolution from the main menu on your first go, its set at a min default of 800x600x16 .

--GETTING WEAPONS & POWERUPS---
weapons & PowerUps periodically are dropped from the sky in crates, they float down on parachutes until they hit the ground, you can then pick them up.

---SCORING ---
you get stat increases for the following
Capturing the enemy flag (Cap)
Killing the player who has your teams flag (Save)
Repairing a teammate for 50% (Repair)
Killing a player from the other team (Kill)
Getting Killed (Die,death)
Rank ( a tally of all the above, if it goes above 10k you get +1 to rank)

if you get a very high rank you can switch to certain weapons at will with the 1 - 5 keys. But this would take a very long time.
When tally is made each cap is +25, save + 10 repair +10 kill +1 death -5

You have 5 weapons and two possible power ups.

---Mortar cannon: AOE : Medium damage fast reload time.

---EMP Cannon : AOE : Very low damage : Fast Reload: It adds reload time , reduces movement speed, and removes all powerups from effected targets

---SNIPER CANNON: Single Target : High Damage : Med Reload :Will track a target if its close enough to the projectile.

---NANO REPAIR BLASTER : LONG RELOAD : Shoots a laser carring nano bots that form a repair wrench on the playfield, the first friendly player to touch it will get half his health back. If he uses all the 50% health from the wrench the player who placed the wrench is awarded a repair point.

---LAND MINE SLINGER: AOE : MED RELOAD : Slings a mine into the playfield, if an enemy gets to close it will detonate and nearly one shot that player. Mines will self destruct after a time.

---POWER UPS--- .All powerups last until hit with emp or death.

--Plasma Shield ( reduced all damage by 50% )
--Engine Upgrade (increases movement speed by 50%)

Wayne(Posted 2009) [#2]
I could ping 67.65.59.83 from a command prompt, and see it took 238ms, but pinging that ip from the game resulted in server not found.

I assume your router at 67.65.59.83 is forwarding whatever port you've selected to your server at internal IP at 192.168.__.__ ?

Destroyer(Posted 2009) [#3]
Same as Wayne, took 175ms via command prompt, but could not get in game

Thanks
Destroyer

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#4]
Wayne, I just told my router to allow all inbound traffic to reach the eepc.. Not sure if that will do it or not. Network setups confuse me to be honest. That is a pretty high ping at any rate, IF you manage to get in and it disconnects you for high ping let me know ill make another upload. The copy of the client up now disconnects at 250ms ping i think.

BTW, I have a 2WIRE router, and use the homeportal to set if up. If anyone knows that system and wants to shed some light on this for me that would be great.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#5]
i couldn't connect aswell. in game there was no server info, i couldn't even ping the ip from the command prompt, kept getting 'Request timed out.'

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#6]
Ok, i have to order an additional feature for my service in order to set up my router properly, im on hold now with my isp. Ill post when i think its ready.. Sorry for the delay

EDIT:

well at&t wants 300.00 USD to come out and reset the line. Not happening anytime soon, so I guess ill just keep working on this testing locally for now. Thanks guys.

If anyone knows a trick to get a server working on a dynamic line, im game. My actual address from my router has not changed in three years, but its technically a dynamic line.

Wayne(Posted 2009) [#7]
I'll try it again when I get home.

As for dyanmic dns you can setup a free account here: http://www.dyndns.com/

Many routers have a dyndns setup. So, when the router detects it's external IP has changed it sends the info to dyndns site, the end result is users/clients just use a www.dyndns.happypup kind of url to find you.

I'll make sure my end is working aka not being blocked, says it's not blocking but I'll make sure TREND is not lying to me.
8)

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#8]
ok.. I have an account at dyndns but I cant make sense of how to get one machine from my routers pool set up with it.

as far as checking your end, dont bother I know its my end now. Wish I had my cable internet back.. that was easy to set up. :)

Xzider(Posted 2009) [#9]
Too bad, couldn't connect either. I would be glad to host this whenever I get my normal internet back. (About a month). Good luck with this.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#10]
Thanks. Im hoping to solve the server thing soon but who knows.. If im not up and running by then im sure ill take you up on that, and anyone else for that matter.

skn3(Posted 2009) [#11]
Same issue but after reading the thread i see why.

Can't really help with the speciffic router im afraid. Doh!

degac(Posted 2009) [#12]
...well, I just download your program TTAlpha.zip.
AVIRA tells me

Begin scan in 'D:\temp\TTALPHA.ZIP'
D:\temp\TTALPHA.ZIP
[0] Archive type: ZIP
--> TinkTank_Alpha.exe
[DETECTION] Is the TR/Crypt.MWPM.Gen Trojan
[NOTE] A backup was created as '4a6b8a6a.qua' ( QUARANTINE )
[NOTE] The file was deleted!

Maybe it is just a false positive, but I got my lesson once time...
Please give a check.

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#13]
I can't download the file, it seems your server is down?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#14]
I doubt theres anything in there, im running from a fresh hd wipe just a few days ago, and blitzbasic.com is the only place I visit on this pc.

My scan shows nothing abnormal on the drive.
However I will take the file down for now as soon as I can, I cant run a server from my modem until I figure out a way to do it from a non dedicated line, and ive added a few features. fyi, there seems to be an issue with my webhost as well I cannot access my ftp right now , hopefully that gets up soon

When I get the server sorted ill reupload a new version. Thank you to everyone who downloaded to help me test. I hope you will help me again when I get the server going.

Xzider(Posted 2009) [#15]
Doubt it has any malware.

@RifRaf
Did you try forwarding the correct port to your internal IP on the router? Usually the problem.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#16]
Xzider, I hate to admit it.. but im really lost with network setups unless they are cut and dry. I looked on my modems setup website and I couldnt see anything about port forwarding.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#17]
I *think* I have it sorted. At least I can connect to a server on my eepc from my desktop using a public ip address.. So im assuming an outside computer could as well.
NEW VID SHOWING JUMPING AND DESTROYABLE SCENERY
http://www.empowergames.com/TTALPHA2.WMV

NEW DEMO LINK
http://www.empowergames.com/TTALPHA2.ZIP -removed
you *should* be able to connec to the - REMOTE EEPC - server.

fyi the old demo will no longer work. It should lag a sec and kick you back with a connect fail error as the version # is no longer valid.

Some changes from the explanation above.
1. the right mouse button no longer gets you to the option/quit menu. Only escape does that now.
2. New powerup is in there, called Spring Tracks. Basically a jump feature for the tank, you have to pick it up first though. once you have the power you use mouse button # 2 to jump.

3. Destructable objects are in. There are holographic force field generators, destroy the generator and its solid holograms will fade away (bridges and so forth). Each Generator has its own health value, and respawn speed after its been destroyed. When it respawns it will reinitiate its holograms.

4. if you happen to be in there with someone else, and they arent responding to your chat. remember to type /ALL before your message if they are on the opposite team. Global messages will be yellow.. your team messages will be your teams color.

5. i reccomend setting the resolution before you play its default is 800x600x16, wich unless thats your native res will look pretty bad. I kept it there because my eepc, and other low end netbooks can have a native res of either 800x600 and 1024x600, and I didnt want to leave them out because this is written in B3D x DX7 old hardware can play it, I would hate for a pc to be left out just because of its resolution limits.

A few things I know need work, are camera tracking. Sounds/Voices (yeah theres some voice work in there). Almost all sounds and voices are placeholders until I can get proper people to do them. Yes the voice in the game is me.. go ahead and make fun of me, its ok.. my wife did :) I tried to sound like an old army guy or somthing like that.

Thats it.. please give it a try and hit me with a Crit(ique) brick so I can make it better.

Thanks so much, and if it still wont let you connect.. just send me a box of tnt so I can nuke my dsl modem properly.

edit : just ran this on a vista laptop with the 3d desktop effects on and got alot a bit of sluggish mouse response in game.. anyone else with vista that can report on this? I would appreciate it.

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#18]
Is it possible to play without connecting to your server? It's not responding at the moment.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#19]
Warpy, its stricktly multiplayer. The demo will not update for awhile so when you have a minute here and there please try to connect , im going to continue messing with router settings.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#20]
same as my last post #5

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#21]
Not working here either... no ping return from server. I notice that you have a couple internal ip's listed there (192 addresses)... do you have forwarding enabled on your router for the ports used by your game to reach your server?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#22]
ok guys give me a few to mess with this some more. im sure I can get it.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#23]
Are you (hopefully) using UDP for the protocol? you will need to either put your server in the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone=no firewall) or forward the port to the internal IP of your server.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#24]
ya im using udp, im trying to forwad the port I have a 2wire modem. Ill try DMZ next. the portforward check websites always report closed ports for me so far.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#25]
Are you running firewall software on your server?

Xzider(Posted 2009) [#26]
Downloaded TTALPHA2, pinged server with no response. And nothing pops up in "Server Info" just like last time.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#27]
yeah, read above sorry im still working on it.. You wont have to redownload anything to try later.. when i get the router figured out, it will all just start working.

Im using port 2222 on the server I cant seem to forward to it even using DMZ doesnt work.
Anyone know if I need BridgedLLC or RouteLLC setting to get port forwarding working?

Skully, theres a firewall in my modem yeah. In the firewall menu is where I setup port forwarding.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#28]
well i give up for now, need some food. If theres anyone who has a dedicated line or knows they can host a server , I would be happy to send a copy of the server to you so I can test it with multiple remote players. Just let me know. Ill just need to get the IP from you so that I can add it to the server list. FYI its written in Bplus, so it would have to be a windows machine.

edit : Not to sound ungratefull to anyone who speaks up, but i would realy like someone to help that could put the server on a machine thats not used for active gaming or bit torent downloading/hosting ect. Otherwise I wont have any idea how well the server really performs.

Playing the game and hosting on the same machine is a pointless test i think

Matty(Posted 2009) [#29]
Hey RifRaf have you tried playing over LAN or are you wanting to try playing over Internet?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#30]
Hey matty,
i can play over private network, in fact had some good testing last night with it . My worklog has a video of it here , if you watch you have to know that the people im playing with are my kids ( 5yr old son & 9 yr old daughter) and thier friends, who dont play PC games much. The mouse + keys will take them some time to get used to.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=69&log=1686

But, im really anxious to get some real net testing under my belt with this title.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#31]
Well, I still havent gotten a server secured for TT. But I have gotten the TT server and client to a place where I can stop adding "features" and work on making it prettier by redoing the particle effects, making better textures where I can , sounds ect.

If I just keep adding features it will go outside the original design wich was simple/fun. Nothing to complex. The feature list is below followed by a small screenshot.

--Destroyable Scenery
tricky for me, but I came up with a method that both lends to interesting play and is light on bandwidth. Instead of each scenery object having its own health and tracked by the server. Each scenery object can be assigned a generator and only that generator is tracked by the server for health ect. This I explain in the game by calling the generators "Solid Holographic Generators" the scenery they are linked to are holograms created by said generator. Generators can have set health, and respawn delays.

--Warp pads
Easy enough, just warp areas on the map that a player can step in to go from point A to point B. Warp pads can be set to allow only one team, or both teams. They can also be set to allow one way travel or both ways (source to dest, and dest to source)

--Damage and Special areas
-Damage areas cause damage or healing every so often if the player is in the range of the area, like everything else these areas can be set up to allow only one team or both to be effected as well as set to turn on and off at certain intervals(or stay on all the time). Also they can have a set of particle/sound effects attached to them.
-Special areas are set up just like damage areas but are given special flags that tell the client that in addition to any damage to act in special ways.. Such as Slowing the player, Making them invisible , or Causing them to be shot into the air.

I still have 5 weapons and 3 powerups in the game.
Weapon types = Mortar,Emp,Sniper,Mine,Repair
power ups = Plasma Shields, Speed Booster, Spring Tracks

The server can be set for map rotation and cap limits, to allow or not allow persistent stats, and a few other things.

Everything is controlled server side, I made it a point to stay on that path of design. The client asks for everything rather than just telling the server what hes doing.

So far thats it.
the following shots were all taken in performance mode wich reduces alot of visuals. (been testing on my eepc (900 mhz + integrated 3d chip)

Xzider(Posted 2009) [#32]
Yo RifRaf, I can try hosting it for you now. If you are interested, (Email Removed) and MSN me for info.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#33]
ill take you up on that, it will be a little later today and ill send you an email. Thanks!

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#34]
ill have that email to you pretty soon i think. I just got home. For anyone who helps test, here is a small overview of the demomap to help.

Ill link the new client here in a bit. Thanks again.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#35]
Email sent Xzider.

New client link is here

Note, One bug im not sure ive killed yet if you login, and you entered a password, next time you login if it tells you you have entered an invalid password. Simply leave the (character) password field blank. Awhile back the server occasionaly would save a blank password. If this happens let me know.

as soon as Xzider sends me the IP ill update the master server list.

EDIT: while we wait for Xzider, you may try my EEPC server again ive been messing with my router some more.. but no promises on that one. Its on the master list when you start the game, listed as REMOTE EEPC

Xzider(Posted 2009) [#36]
Alright, sent email with IP. Need the port to forward to router as well.

You may want to try to connect yourself before sending link to everyone else, just to make sure everything is in working order.

Edit-Found port:)

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#37]
2222 is the port it uses by default, you can make config if you need another.

Simply open notepad , type in the port number and save as hostport.txt in the host root folder. (same as exe)

Xzider(Posted 2009) [#38]
Server is up and running on port 2222, if you want to try and give it a go with the IP I gave you.

Edit: Strangely, I just tried the IP that was already listed, and it seemed to work (Could actually ping successfully and log on), no one was on though. Maybe you fixed your router?

josk(Posted 2009) [#39]
Just been on with the EEPC server. First impressions good, just need players now.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#40]
Thanks.. I know a few things to tweak/fix now , ill get on those and upload a new client.. I wont remove the old client and allow it to function as is. The only issues ive found so far are.

I broke the chatroom before I uploaded last client, the text doesnt scroll instead you get one line and its removed when new chat comes in.

I moved from keydown() to an api call to GDI_VKEYDOWN() (from the archives) and with that one if I hit wasd when chatting it moves the toon still..

Xzider, your server after the first round was giving me like 600ping, and I cant seem to log into my own, while I do see you poppin in :)

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#41]
Thanks for that, was fun.. I now know that I have to remove a few fire traps. :)
EDIT: New version is up , fixing the chat bug. same download link.

Ked(Posted 2009) [#42]
Do you need to sign up to download this?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#43]
no way, download anytime.

Ked(Posted 2009) [#44]
Oh, well your link doesn't work. :)

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#45]
Sorry, it does now
edit. so you dont have to scroll back

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#46]
Please try to connect to the EEPC server first. Thanks

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#47]
Hmmm, tried your download RifRAf, some feedback for you - I got the TINY TANKS splashscreen with music but then nothing else. Did not seem to want to move on from that screen. How do you connect to the server first? Prior to running the game ?

Ctrl+alt+delete also failed..... Power off button on PC only way to off it. Regards, BP.

All that asides it does look a very appealing game.

josk(Posted 2009) [#48]
The light effects in the tunnel and the lava looks good.

What part of the scenery is destroyed when you destroy the generators?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#49]
@Blitzplotter,

if the game cannot connect to the master server (my ftp) for any reason theres a delay while it retries.(i should add a message for this) . Im sorry you had to power off, if this happens again try waiting a few minutes first if you can and then if a runtimeerror doesnt pop up , report again. in my next release I will add a message stating what is going on so the user doesnt think its locked forever. also , low end hardware can have issues somtimes (edit, ive not tested intel cards on this yet)

For example.
My mini laptop eepc (900mhz, some very poor internal gfx chip) can hang at menu .. what ive found (dont ask my why it works this way) is that if the exe is set for compatability mode, then I uncheck it and it works. If it is NOT set for compatability mode, I check it for windows 20000 mode and it works. There is another bug that pops up from time to time, sprite candy throws out an invalid object error when I try to set the alpha on the in game escape menu.. this happened twice in 3 months and I havent figured out why, or under what conditions yet.

@Josk,

There are four generators on this map. Two destroy blue scenery two destroy red. You will see tall walls surrounding each base. The generators at the foot of the tunnels destroy those for about 5 minutes. The generators at the top of the bases destroy the hover pads to prevent the other team from hopping across if they have the spring tracks.

but everything is set up in the editor, what scenery belongs to what generator, the range, damage , visuals , and intervals of any traps ect. So its not set in stone what scenery gets destroyed for any generator it will be completely different from one map to the next.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#50]
Oh, btw. The game supports both PC Dual Stick Axis pad , and Xbox360 PC joysticks, I have tested the AXIs , but dont have the Xbox controller. So please report on that if you have one.

Constrols for both controller types are.
- left stick to move -
- right stick to aim -
- left bumper to jump -
- right bumper to fire -

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#51]
ive decided to go from fullscreen to window mode, so that I can have ads in the lobby if I decide to, as well most testers have asked for window mode anyway.

I think removing the titlebar and buttons looks best, and will allow users to get the fullscreen look if they choose a resolution equal to their desktop res.

You can still click on other areas (windows/desktop) to minimize tiny tanks, and maximize again. This shot is an 800x600 window on my 1440x900 desktop.. I actually like playing like this. Even though the res is low it looks very clean since its not streched to fit the screen.

Edit: you dont have to redownload to play the demo, but if you prefer the window mode , the same link has been replaced with this version.

Edit : if you want control of your mouse for other things, while you are playing then you need to hit escape to bring up the in game menu.. otherwise the mouse is reset to center all the time.

Ked(Posted 2009) [#52]
Woot! Downloading now.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#53]
wait how did you get the default windows stuff around the window to go away?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#54]
wait how did you get the default windows stuff around the window to go away?

you will need the users32 decals and the win32 constants.. search archives and/or forums for those.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#55]
Nicely done. It gives a whole other look to it!

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#56]
just gotta say anyone who hasn't checked this out yet really should, its a very fun game.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#57]
in about 20 minutes from now, ill have a new version up that fixes the following.

1.Mav on Setobjectalpha() after logging off and rentering.
2.fire pit damage range was too high. Requires server reset though.
3.every now and then the program locks up after game exit.
4.xbox360 controller was not aiming left and right with second stick, this should be resolved, but I cannot test myself.. no 360 controller.

Ill edit this post when its ready for download
EDIT : new version is up.. same link
http://www.empowergames.com/tinytank_alpha.zip

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#58]
this is definitely one of the most awesome games ive seen in b3d. I probably spent hours on it :) definitely worth a try.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#59]
Thanks,

im actually very happy with the comments im getting from blitzers and from guys over on gamedev. I put out a post for help on sound , website dev, and 2d art. And have gotten a reply from a sound engineer who has commercial work on ps3, and xbox titles! How neat is that. Ill put a small plug for the same here if any are interested.. My most immediate need is a good HTML coder to get a site up asap. I wont go on about that here, this topic has gotten pretty large just discussing the demo. Email me though if you want to help. GameMaker04@...

EDIT : the demo has been updated. Same link ( http://www.empowergames.com/tinytank_alpha.zip )

Xbox360 and AXISPAD dual analogs should both work now
Added a controls information reference image, use F1 to view in game.
Fixed a few bugs

Server updated as well, but will require a server reset.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#60]
If you get a version error, you will have to redownload the client. Anytime I make changes that would not sync well with a previous build I have to change the version number. Sorry for this, but the download link will always be the same, and should always be up to date.

I made a version change today, so you will have to redownload to play.

Thanks again to those who have helped so far. I really do appreciate it.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#61]
yeah I was about to say, looks like the servers broken then I read your post. downloading now

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#62]
i just dl'd the new ver about 10 min ago and i can't ping the server, i'll keep trying though.

edit: several tries later and i'm in now :)

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#63]
so I got the same thing as kingnothing.
it says it couldnt connect :(

and the geom code is coming ok. im still working on the subdivision stage tho.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#64]
oops now it works! :)

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#65]
hmmm spoke to soon, i did get in but coudn't shoot, transport or pickup flag. i quit out completely to start fresh can't ping server again, so i'll keep trying.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#66]
Same here king. Server is probably down. Timothy is hosting it for me atm, and has been for several days. Im very thankfull for that, but he never promised to keep it up forever. Im sure hell have to take it down eventually, if he hasnt already :)

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#67]
both nate and i and some anon are in right now so seems ok again.
edit: well i can shoot, but still can't trasnport and global chat doesn't seem to be sending right now either.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#68]
my server refreshing bot isnt able to ping it. for now I put my server live on my eepc, but it should be laggy as im on a 1.5mb dsl line with 4 PCs connected.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#69]
just wanted to let you know i just finished a match with ( well i was more like cannon fodder for ) timothy on the XZ server and every thing was fine.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#70]
New version up. Fixes
--a memory leak that could lead to game lockup when entering and exiting matches often. Note to all, free your timers !! :)
--xbox360 right anolog deadzone seemed to be a little to small, So I increased that
--if you were destroyed when map changed you would not respawn
--lag cheat.. There was an exploit in server client comms, that allowed very high latency players to fire more often , circumventing the reload time.
--end match text would read "blue team wins" after a tie game.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#71]
i sent you an email RifRaf, but i was also just thinking about what we were talking about with the toggle for global/team chatting..

perhaps /a for all and /t for team instead would be better, as theres less to type but it also takes up less room on the chat line.

josk(Posted 2009) [#72]
Wouldnt it be better to use y and u like some other games do.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#73]
perhaps, Y is team and U is global ?

josk(Posted 2009) [#74]
Y is Global and u is team by default in some of the games i have played like Left for Dead, Though others do have different keys.

I would have thought that they would have worked out the best default keys but I think any two keys next to each other would be good.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#75]
although i have played games in the past where y and u where used, and even though not my favorite choice, i suggested (a)ll,(t)eam just out of easiness to remember in a jiffy. all in all though either way would be better and quicker then typing /all or /team, but if you put the toggle in we were talking about then it wont be so bad anyway.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#76]
right, (A) is used in WASD config.. ill slap the Y/U in there. thanks.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#77]
New verion up, same link ( http://www.empowergames.com/tinytank_Alpha.zip )

System4 Studios(Posted 2009) [#78]
Nice game you have here.. ;)

I was just in about a sec ago.. Love the style of gameplay...

If you need server hosting.. Let me know.. I have no problem with it.. as I'm hosting a server/chat bot for another online game.. (Street Fighter Online)

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#79]
Thank you, and yes as soon as i get more testers ill want another host. So thank you very much for the offer.

Newest version just went up.
>fixed. If i mine self detonated near a tank on fire, it would destroy that tank when he respawned.
>fixed. auto text wrapping would leave off the last character
>changed, when typing your input box text color now reflects wich chat you will be sending to (team or global)

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#80]
Hey blitzers.

While I initially wanted to give TT out for free, im finding I cant successfully get the word out on my own, and a free game that nobody knows about is really pointless. So ive contacted a publisher who has now sent the game to the production team for further evaluation.. What I want to ask any blitzers reading this is that if you have time, here and there please try the demo and jump in the server. You may actually help me get published if the production team is able to see some other folks in there when they check it out. Now I dont know when they will check it out, I was told they will get back to be in the comming "weeks" so its a pretty big window.

If you have the time, and would like to help out in that dept, please do. I will be forever gratefull.

Thanks again to everyone who has been helping so far, here are some recent shots I took for the publisher. Its too bad I had to take them today and nobody else was on :)

http://www.empowergames.com/ttshots/TinyTanks1.jpg?
http://www.empowergames.com/ttshots/TinyTanks2.jpg?
http://www.empowergames.com/ttshots/TinyTanks3.jpg?
http://www.empowergames.com/ttshots/TinyTanks4.jpg?

josk(Posted 2009) [#81]
It would be good to get 10-12 players on to see how it goes.

I will be on at 21.00 gmt tonight and Saturday 5pm gmt.
Will be able to go pretty much much any time on Sunday if you let me know.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#82]
hey I emailed you about a really awesome cheat I found rifraf which you really dont have to take out. :)

and its looking cool. I haven't noticed much different except the fire pits range and the menu seems a lot smoother now and never freezes.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#83]
Hey nate, thanks. I knew about the messed up tris in the demomap, Ive just been too lazy to reexport the map model. I will before long.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#84]
Updated.. quite a few under the hood changes.

This update changed the version number so you will have to redownload.
Good thing is from now on, when you get the version error, TinyTanks will allow you to update straight away without manually downloading the update.

The server has been updated with this feature as well, it will actually update itself when needed and reset, it should maintain itself with updates and addons even if left alone for days on end.

>added/fixed a few small things pertaining to client / server comms
>added: Announcements for players entering and leaving the game
>fixed : Land Mines now sync properly. There was a very small chance they would be offset by a small fraction in their location.

This "should" be the last time I link this zip, after this install it should all happen from Tiny Tanks itself.

http://www.empowergames.com/tinytank_Alpha.zip

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#85]
only possible problem I can see with this is vista UAC. but other than that sounds cool rifraf. so no more manual downloading :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#86]
Okay, I can do 2100 GMT Saturday, I'm writing this at work so cannot try it out just now.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#87]
thanks,

ive updated the client. please let me know if it does not allow you to uptate when you run Tiny Tanks.
>fixed : sometimes players would seem to ghost a bit when using teleporters
>Sever Message of the day added
>The rank system is now active. You can go up and down in rank.
Higher the rank the more items you can select at will. using 1-8 keys.
Score Tally is calculated like so.

every kill = 1 pnt
every successfull repair over 50% = 1 pnt
every cap = 10 pnts
every flag save = 2 pnts
every death = minus 2 pnts

in this alpha version maxrank is 70, and you need a 100 pnt score to rank up. You cant get a negative rank.

if your tally > 99 you go up in rank and all other stats start over
if your tally < - 9 you go down a rank and all other stats start over

I want to add other benefits to rank aside from selecting items at will.. im still considering what those benefits may be.
The test server has persistent stats on.. with a server with them off, the required scores for going up in rank would be reduced to 25 to allow quick rankups and rankdowns in short matches.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#88]
new version is up, link above if you need to download. If you have downloaded before, the program should self update.

I completely rewrote movement and position communications , removed all gravity , physics ect for remote players and went directly to positioning and interpolating remote tanks. This works better than I hoped. I decreased my update packet frequency from every 6 game logic loops to every 32 ! and despite that reduction in bandwith, the game plays smoother and more accurate than before. However because I removed collisions on remote tanks, this opened up an entire can of repairs and mods to be made as alot of the things that happen to a tank are checked against collision normals or time in the air (no collisions then a collision) So I had to find little ways to check conditions without collisions.. but I did manage to get it done.

This is an exciting change for future development of Tiny Tanks too because now im not limited to how the tanks can move or interact locally because all I have to do is send the end position and orientation to the connected players, meaning I could add real physics, more playful velocities when moving around and so forth without any communications hastle.

Changed: You can no longer score points for capping if there are no players on the opposite team.

Changed: You can no longer score for healing yourself, only team mates.

Replaced : Many in game sounds, as my sound designer creates more, ill add them.

Fixed : The broken triangles in the demomap model, that allowed players to sneak behing a wall.

Fixed : Warp pad ping pong.

Fixed and changed so many little things that I cant even recall right now :)

Thanks again to all the testers who pop in from time to time. The test server was down all day yesterday because I had to use the EEPC for local testing .. its back up now.

Ked(Posted 2009) [#89]
Sent you an email, RifRaf.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#90]
emailed you too RifRaf.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#91]
Got them, also theres a new update to be had via auto update, or newcommers can download the entire thing with the link posted above.
New exlposion effect from land mines(send the enemy flying+tumbling)
shortcut key to change camera view ( c )
fixed: bug wich played the "generator online" voice very loud

On a side note, if anyone has decent Html/php talents and would be interested in making the Tiny Tanks website(2d artistic ability a plus), please email me. GameMaker04@...

Thanks

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#92]
Just for the fun of it I made a video in a test game with NateTheGreat.

In this video Nate and I have our rank set to max, so we can choose whatever weapon or item we want every 10 seconds, without collecting crates.

Http://www.empowergames.com/RIFvsNATE_low.wmv

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#93]
Your multiplayer looks really good Rif. Good job man.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#94]
hey rifraf, your vid doesnt work here :(

btw. your email in post 91 is wrong may wanna correct it

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#95]
Thanks, I updated that post..

The video is just a wmv exported from windows movie maker, not sure why it wouldnt work for you Nate.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#96]
While i may not have very many testers, im very thankfull for the few I do
have. Your input is fantastic. I added first person camera and effects
to the camera options because of tester input, and im very pleased with it.

This option is not in the active build yet, I will upload this and edit
this post when its there. I wont change the version number as this doesnt
break any client/server comms. So the updater will not know to get it.
You will have to download from the primary link again. Ill let you know when. Thanks

EDIT.. ok the zip has been updated. Http://www.empowergames.com/TinyTank_Alpha.zip

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#97]
I put up a small website for TinyTanks here
http://www.empowergames.com/tinytankwebsite/index.html

Its not much, but has a download link, forum link, and screenshots. At least its somthing :) Ill make the forum a bit more robust later.. atm its just one topic.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#98]
nice job on the site... now you just have to find a way to get the game out there and well known and it would be awesome.

josk(Posted 2009) [#99]
Good to see a site up, I think the background is a bit too busy though.

With a few new maps for the game and an influx of players this game would be great.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#100]
Thanks.. I took the contrast of the background image way down now. Hopefully that helps some. I also added three forum topics for Tiny Tanks. Bug reports, feature requests, and general. The single topic was a bit strange imo.

Maps, yeah I can whip out a map in a few hours when I see more players comming in ill get a few more out.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#101]
new movie made, however I didnt make this one.
Http://www.empowergames.com/TinyTankLow.wmv

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#102]
hmm the movie still doesnt work for me... perhaps its wmv format?

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#103]
Hmm...I think I'll host a server! I got an extra computer that sits around 98% of the time.

josk(Posted 2009) [#104]
This is really coming along.
Some ideas

When you rank up maybe you should only be able to hold a maximum of 3 different weapons, the last 3 weapons you collected.

Maybe give some weapons a timer or limited shots before you have to collect them again.

The springs really do give you an advantage. Maybe limit some weapons if you have springs, mines for example.

I would still like to see an acid weapons that corrodes your tank over time, maybe it destroys springs and weapons instead of damaging your tank.

Dont want to complicate things though.

Like the new Logo.

Is it worth attaching the tinytanks forums to your other ones?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#105]
Emp will remove all power ups, springs included.
Next weapon I have on the list is a grenade launcher.. like the mines they explode and send you flying.. the grenades will bounce off walls a few times before exploding and dont detonate just because an enemy is close by, they will explode when their momentum is near zero or a timer has elapsed.

I think grenades should do far less damage than a mine, but have a faster reload, they should be alot of fun, at least I seem to enjoy watching my opponent fly out of my base when he trips a mine.

Im also going to reduce movement speed to flag carriers, to create a situation where it will take more teamwork to cap a flag, rather than simply a distracted opponent.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#106]
Also you could do a flash grenade and a smoke grenade.

Xzider(Posted 2009) [#107]
I like the ideas so far. You should update the download link of the first post, maybe more people will download it.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#108]
Just downloaded and will test tonigth.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#109]
Hey,thanks. I will be updating the version tonight or in the morning, so please try it tomorrow as well. I Added alot.

-improved first person view, so that you can steer the tank with joystick #2, mousespeedX, or left/right arrows while in that viewmode.

-reworked the sniper rifle entirely, it used to fire a semi slow projectile that , when near an enemy player would target and track them. Now its an instant shot like you would expect a sniper rifle to be. The sniper allows you to zoom in while in FP viewmode, and while zoomed you do 50% more damage. See the vid below.

-added sonic grenades (low damage, high velocity explosion)
the only weapon with kickback velocity to the user. Primarily a defense weapon as it does little damage.

-reworked the way projectiles are communicated from client/server

-added velocity bouncing if you land from a high jump
-removed default velocity damage.. right now if you are hit with anything you bounce in the air some.. not anymore. Some weapons will launch you in the proper direction from the explosion, but not everything.

-added lots of visual cues, and effects .. general polish here and there
such as an energy consume effect when you get a powerup, flashing red and pulsing in scale when you get damaged..

-changed , the camera now instantly telports with the tank, instead of trailing behind.

-the demo map has more crate drop locations, including another spring track crate near the fire traps in the middle, another shield , and two sonic grenade crates.

-added placeholder language filter that only captures the top 10 curse words, when I acn speed this up ill add an extensive list of words.

-Tiny Tanks has always had position tweaning, but has used a dead reckoning rotation sync. I have changed that to rotation tween/interpolate as well so the movement is smoother than ever

-Added ,Land mines have always taken 3 seconds to arm after hitting the ground, they blink three times as a visual cue. I have added an audible cue as well. Many times a mine may be arming right around the corner out of sight.. now you have a small window that you can hear them and act.

-Changed, Crates used to drop in random order.. now they drop in sequence, and repeat. This i think will allow players who get to know a map well the ability to judge about what time they should be hanging out by their favorite drop zone.

Most of my updates from here on out will be novelty features, bug fixes, and polish. for example im considering adding a radar. At some point ill be adding a more typcial splash screen/title menu startup sequence, and like I mentioned just basic visual improvements and polish.

here is a small vid showing a few of the changes.
http://www.empowergames.com/newsniper.wmv

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#110]
Goody goody :D

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#111]
Is the turret supposed to keep returning to pointing almost straight up? It's really annoying...not sure if it's supposed to do that or not.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#112]
are you using a joystick/gamepad Chroma, if so might need to calibrate it a bit. i had to play around with my 360 controler plus raf tweek some stuff and it works good for me now.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#113]
What king said, try calibrating it in windows and see if that helps. I personally prefer keyboad+mouse but I tossed in joystick support for anyone else. I may put an enable / disable joystick on the main menu.

What kind of joystick do you have ?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#114]
Alright, Version Ac2.0 is live, either run the game updater, and redownload the zip file.

Too many small changes to mention. the more noticable changes were listed a few posts above.

Time for a nap :)

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#115]
I'm using keyboard + mouse and it's doing that. I do have a Logitech 3d Pro joystick but I don't have it selected. Definitely something wacky going on there.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#116]
Well, yes and no. Right now the game checks joystick parameters by default.

Tiny Tanks only supports the Xbox360 and AxisPad series Joysticks right now, if your joystick doenst have similar stick readings to either of those its likely reading a still position on your stick as a value equal to aiming up on one of the supported sticks.

The only option for the time being would be to unplug or disable the joystick in windows.

I will add a joystick disable button on the main menu, so that users with incompatible joysticks can play with mouse+keyboard without the joystick being read by the game.

System4 Studios(Posted 2009) [#117]
Might need to work on your client updater.. It freezes if I pull up any other Windows.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#118]
Yeah, someone wrote a bmax updater for me, but I cannot compile it until I buy maxgui.. unfortunatly that could be a bit.

Before alpha is over , ill have a replacement for the one you see now.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#119]
Ok the updater has been reworked to be in a native windows format so that it does not stall if it looses focus.

The new updater for version Ac2.0 is here
http://www.empowergames.com/TinyTank_ClientUpdate.exe

im uploading an entire new project zip as well so new users will have the new updater in the main download.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#120]
is anyone willing to setup an agreed time to get together for a few matches. it'd be nice as to help out rifraf to see how it plays out with more then 2-3 people. just a thought, post if your willing to play and what day/time would be best for you.

this game is coming along nicely and i've said it before that its a really fun game, it just needs more players.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#121]
I'd like to play with some people :D No idea when though because everyone's time zone is different. Mine is GMT -6

josk(Posted 2009) [#122]
I'm on GMT, between 9pm and 11pm would be great for me. Would be able to manage some other times though.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#123]
No idea when though because everyone's time zone is different

thats why i suggested we try to get a bunch of people together to try to agree on a day/time ;-)

i'm eastern time (gmt -05:00), i constantly check on/off throughout the day to see if anyones on and if so i usually join. most days right now i'm game for anytime between when i get up til maybe 1am or so depending on how things are going or how tired i am.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#124]
I am now testing and debugging a new version, that puts map files in raw format , and packs everything else into catagory containers. This version also fixes a few game mechanic bugs.

At the moment im troubleshooting some issues with the updater, so if you are having issues updating just hang tight. Ill edit this post when its all sorted.

EDIT:
Ok things should be sorted, however im not sure if the old updater will be able to sort it out. It *should* be able to , but you may have to run it twice. Ive already overwritten the old updater on this end, so I cant even test it out. I just have the new stuff now.

if it fails after a few tries just redownload the main zip. The new updater checks crc values from the server and downloads any mismatches, instead of just going by version number.

The main exe is now called TinyTAnk_CTF.EXE , dont run the old one (TinyTank_ALPHA.EXE) It will always fail.

The primary reason for this was to allow maps to stay in the open, so third party map editors can just drop the data in and go, so each server can run its own custom map rotation easily, as well as taking the primary binary down to a 2 meg download per update instead of the entire project at 20mb and counting.

- Fixes and changes , aside from the updater and paks ---
>Fullscreen mode and windowed mode listings on resolution menu
>can no longer shoot through walls by running against them
>sonic grenade reload moved up one notch to 3, to prevent spam blasting

Its probably best to just download the new zip, and start fresh with the new updater.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#125]
New version up,
-joystick on off option at main menu.
-credits display on main menu
-auto download of maps in place ( now i have to make more maps)
-added some effects to generators when they get damaged, and increased sniper rifle effective range.
-minor bug fixes

Next up, if I dont have too many bugs pop up out of this latest update, is a map editor polished enough that I can put it up for download

I packed it with a different encryption key by mistake, the crc wont match up with your old paks, and it will redownload them all, sorry about that.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#126]
:D A map editor, that's cool.

Btw I get an error trying to update using the second version of the updater.
"could not receive a required file [ 1523ABB4 ] , please try again later. If this persists, there may be technical issues with the Tiny Tank master server."

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#127]
Thanks,

Thats the original updater that does that. Redownload the main zip and give it a try. If you already downloaded the new one.. clear your cache and try again, and remove the old files first.

System4 Studios(Posted 2009) [#128]
Good job on new update..

off-topic:
Btw.. Rif.. check your email as well..

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#129]
checked, nothing from you in there yet.

System4 Studios(Posted 2009) [#130]
^

No I was the kazaamafia@... dude for your EasyBuilder3D.. :D

Thanks for the return email lol...

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#131]
Its probably best to just download the new zip, and start fresh with the new updater.

I downloaded the new one, didn't realize the link was updated.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#132]
hey rifraf, sorry I have been away for a while (no internet for 2 weeks!) but I see you got the grenades and map editor done :) (downloading now)

btw cant wait to get on tinytanks again!

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#133]
Yikes.. not sure I want to imagine what no net for two weeks would be like. Ill keep en eye on the console for you. I just missed KingNothing and josk, they were on before I got back from lunch.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#134]
hmm I spent about 30 minutes trying to get it to work... it wouldnt so I tried to delete it but it says its in use... do you have a program running in the background or a mem leak? if so what is the name so I can end it and redownload tiny tanks

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#135]
No nate I dont have anything in the background, just TinyTank_ClientUpdate.exe that runs after it closes TinyTank_CTF.EXE

are you trying to run the old exe still ? TinyTank_Alpha.exe ???

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#136]
nope not trying to run the old one... ill just do a shutdown and restart :)

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#137]
alright, sorry that happened. Ive not seen it happen before to anyone else. Keep me posted.

its possible that somthing prevented the TinyTank_CTF.EXE from closing after it ran execfile "tinytank_clientupdate.exe" wich would explain any errors trying to download a new Tinytank_CTF.EXE. however im not sure what could cause that.

EDIT: Are you running vista or xp ?

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#138]
im running vista

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#139]
I wonder if its a UA thing, i have a vista machine here. Works fine, but UA is turned off.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#140]
Ok, well aparently vista doesnt like to close things down if you call execfile before the "end" .. so I may have to resort to a runtimeerror asking the user to run the updater themselves.

A side note, you can run tinytank_clientupdate.exe direct, you dont have to let the client start it. Doing that should remove any possible error from the client remaining open.

I wont be able to meet you in there for a few hours, I have to run the kids around for icecream and a movie. Let me know if running the updater directly works for you. Thanks

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#141]
when in the game in the main menu if it asks me if i want to update now and i say yes, it appears to exit out of the game and proceed on with the updater. when it's almost done it says bad stream or some such and doesn't finish. i've went into the task manager and there was 1 sometimes 2 tinytank_ctf.exe (or whatever it is) running upon ending them and updating straight with just the updater worked fine. this happend two different times on an xp comp.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#142]
ok, thanks king

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#143]
as a side i figured the game was still somewhat running because the music was still playing while updating.

josk(Posted 2009) [#144]
Tested as well, as KingNothing says works fine from updater but through the game it gives you a bad stream warning and closers.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#145]
I updated(and have tried without using the updater too) but when I open the game, it just stays at the "Verifying Data. Please Wait." screen and doesn't do anything, or let me leave.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#146]
how long did you wait it takes a couple min ( give or take ) also do you have a firewall on, the first time i run an updated ver it looks like it hangs for a min (sometimes i have to ctrl+alt+del into taskmanager to exit out but not always) and set my firewall to accept the new exe

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#147]
When the game verifies data on program boot it does a crc check against all the pak files, this is a byte by byte check, if your pc is old or say under 1ghz it may take a bit. My 3.2ghz takes about 10 seconds.

It will also do a crc check on map data when you start a new map

EDIT .. i take that back its about 10secs no my eepc i think. its more like 2 or 3 seconds on my desktop.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#148]
i may have slightly over exagerated with a couple min, but when you really want to get into a game and start playing even a sec or two seems like an eternity lol, but ya it should be less then a min depending on your computer specs ofcourse.

edit:

just tested and its approx. 12-14 secs for me

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#149]
but when you really want to get into a game and start playing even a sec or two seems like an eternity

That is SO true! Once I got my new computer and opened up Garry'sMod I noticed the speed increase, but as I get used to it, I wished it was even faster.

how long did you wait it takes a couple min ( give or take ) also do you have a firewall on

Actually I let it run for.. I don't know... 10 minutes? But you may have a good point with the firewall thing. A few times I've tried joining a server for different games in full screen, and my firewall pops up a message asking me if I want to allow or block it but I can never click it because I'm in full screen. I'll try doing it with my firewall off later, thanks for the idea though.

EDIT: Yep it was the firewall's fault

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#150]
Alright, Ive fixed the updater crashing thing. and a few other under the hood improvements.. Main exe and gui.pak should both update when you run

TinyTank_ClientUpdate.exe

the main download .zip is being updated as well.