Another shot of Tiny Tanks

Community Forums/Showcase/Another shot of Tiny Tanks

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#1]
Yet another shameless promo shot of my pet project, sick as a dog and all I can think about is coding. Here I have the CTF core structure in place, you can get personal scores as well. The server can be set up for persistent score + reward, or score reset per login. Trackable stats are
Flag Captures
Flag Saves
Kills
Deaths
Teammate repairs
Rank

The rank is only usefull if the server has persistent tracking on, as the player score breaks 20k points the rank goes up one point. The points are tallied on the server based on the other stats. More deaths than the combined saves,caps and kills means your overall score does not go up so you cannot rank up, once you rank up your other stats start at 0 again. The idea is to reward high ranking players, with abilities and weapons at spawn. as well as little stars over their tanks indicating their level, or maybe a big announcement when they logon , pimping their greatness.

Http://www.empowergames.com/tinytank_progress.jpg?

puki(Posted 2009) [#2]
Not bad.

I like the Dalek - what is that for?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#3]
You mean the statue on top? Its nothing, just a prop added to the scene.

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#4]
Cool graphics.
Kind of cartoonish looking but cool nonetheless.

Snixx(Posted 2009) [#5]
It did look good, its gone backwards.

JustLuke(Posted 2009) [#6]
Snixx: It still looks good.

RifRaf: Antialiasing your icons, using a cartoon (two/three tone) light map, and adding a fitting sky texture (some fluffy, swirly cartoon clouds perhaps?) will make it look even better.

WALNUT: Cartoonish is always a good thing! NPR graphics for the world! :)

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#7]
I love it :) I think, the grass could be a bolder green though. The textures used for the rock are lovely, nice and bold. The grass looks a little dull though. Love the rock texture used for the road part!

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#8]
Thank you all

While I respect your opinion Snixx,perhaps a reason why its gone backwards will help me fix somthing, but if you dont care enough to elaborate it's ok. I know its hard to care enough to waste time posting about other work somtimes, especially if you have your own projects underway. Thanks anyway.

I will say that some people I know like the outlines, but they dont know the full extent of the problem doing outlines in blitz3d, because they have to be done by doubling vert counts, and all media has to be made just so or they look even worse, its just not practicle for me to do that on my own since im not that artistic to begin with, as well as if you zoom in or get the camera close to an object it can peer under the outlines.. looks bad imo.

My largest issue is interface finess, I look at games like Naked War and just stare at the videos, not wondering how they code the pretty fluid moving animated interface.. I could code it up.. but how they plan it out to flow so well. I wonder if it takes an artist to plan that type of thing as well, I have a hard time with it.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#9]
Latest shot.
I've got everything in and working aside from warp tunnels, and the destroyable bricks, wich I think ill have working in the next day or two. Im really excited about getting the destroyable bricks in there because it will allow alot of stradegy, blowing up bridges or walls of defense, alot of other refinements and additons have been made for effects and such, but nothing that changes the game itself in terms of design.

this shot is not much different than the last, but it shows that I have the air shipments in for power ups and weapon swapping. Controlled server side if they are random or specfic items per drop area. They start out about 200 meters above the ground and float down , once on the ground the proper markings appear on the box to show you what it is.

I really want to get a test client moleboxed soon for some real tests.. I wil post the link here when its ready. I hope some of you can help me out with that.

Sokurah(Posted 2009) [#10]
Well done. That looks SO cute.

Does it scale to your monitor (looks to be widescreen) or is this picture cropped?

Are you using B3D or BMax?

skn3(Posted 2009) [#11]
I don't really like the grass texture. It looks wayyyyyy too flat. I don't like the menu/icon style either. Aside from those two bits everything else is looking excellent!

Perhaps with the icons a more "designed" menu bar could be done? kinda with everything less spaced apart and clearly all part of one "gadget". At the moment they kinda look like something that was added quite quickly without too much thought.

Ever thought of making the ground explodable? Would be fun if you could make crators in the ground.

nrasool(Posted 2009) [#12]
Hi RifRaf,

This looks awesome, its really progressing quite well. Like skn3[ac] says, the grass texture looks strange, but other than that it looks pretty good. I see you are making this multiplayer which will suit this style of game onto the ground, but I was wondering, will you also be making it so a single player can run it. I know maybe it was designed to be a multiplayer, but add in single player as well

Matty(Posted 2009) [#13]
Looks good, nice style, parachute sail could maybe be just 1 colour not the stripey look it has...looks like it would be fun to play.

skn3(Posted 2009) [#14]
What about mission mode in single player. kinda like how the red alert series of games does it...?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#15]
Hi,

Sokurah, right now I dont have a "game settings menu" for selecting resolution. but it can run at any res . Im using sprite candy for the gui and for the game hud. That shot was originally 1400x900 but i scaled it to 800x somthing so it wouldnt take too long to load here. I will add a way to change the res before I release the test client.

Im not a very good artist im afraid, the grass texture is supposed to be the underside of actual grass models that will be placed about that will be shaped like the grass mask you see on the texture. the three fingered shape. But it may end up looking bad as well.

Skn3, I have considered a training mode, where you get x amount of time to destroy all the targets on the level, but as far as making A.I Bots to play against.. im not sure about that. as far as menus, yes I know they look bad, my artistic bone was broken durring birth and I cant seem to get an eye for this type of thing. I was considering a gui wheel that spins and on each quarter there are more buttons/options.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#16]
Ok, added resolution settings

Steve Elliott(Posted 2009) [#17]
This is looking good. More shading in the sky and the clouds maybe. Icons are work in-progress I assume.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#18]
Yeah, the icons are.. I plan on giving them some blended edges at some
point. Heres a shot of them re-arranged. Do you think this arrangement is
any better?

im not sure where to put the "quit game" button. I would like it at the bottom right, but with the chat strung across the bottom it just gets in the way.

;------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit.. i just realised that shot was at the min 800x600 res.. here are a
few more at my monitors max, but scaled in psp to reduce the image
loadtime here.
;------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.empowergames.com/tinytank_progress5.jpg?
http://www.empowergames.com/tinytank_progress6.jpg?

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#19]
i really like this style. it kind of reminds me of polymaniacs. the dof is also a nice addition. keep up the good work!

skn3(Posted 2009) [#20]
What about something like this...

And then hide the other options like 3d, dof, quit in an ESC menu?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#21]
good idea, i like the left panel. ill get that in. The weapon icon will have to go up some, the chat room covers all over the bottom on the lowest res of 800x600

skn3(Posted 2009) [#22]
cool :) Is it a turn based game?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#23]
no, it's real time ctf.

EDIT: the dots you see around the tank in some of the shots arent turns, when you fire you get a reload time, the longer the reload time the more dots appear arching over the tank. The server wll send out messages to remove each mark , when they are all gone you can fire again. Each mark lasts about two seconds. The mortar cannon only gets one mark for reloading, and if you time it right you can fire one right after the other, as the server sends out the gametick every two seconds.. So if you fire one second after a gametick, you can fire again in one second as long as the reload is one dot. Im trying to make a ctf game that is fun, but not too frantic as I want my son to be able to play and hes 6 years old. Theres no way he can keep up with some of the current games out there, not to mention they are too violent.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#24]
Ok, i changed it around. You can now hit esc to toggle options menu, or hit the second mouse button. The shots below. I havent added a alpha channel to the PNG of game icons yet, but later I will and the transparency on the grey bars will be in there.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think it looks alot better.

skn3(Posted 2009) [#25]
cool :) I was wondering what the little target icon things were!

I would like to help with graphics but Im so damn busy with work at the moment GRRR! (he says whilst on blitzforums when he is supposed to be working at weekend!).

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#26]
just another low res progress shot.. beta link in a day or so.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#27]
Looks good, wouldn't mind getting a copy to try with some people (LAN not Internet).

CodeGit(Posted 2009) [#28]
Hi RifRaf

I am trying to purchase your development tools but I am unable to use paypal. Is there anyway that you can setup a different pay method (ShareIt) so that people that do not have access to Paypal can purchase as well????

Thanks

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#29]
CodeGit,

Originally I never put them on shareit or any other download service was because they were being updated so frequently. Email me GameMaker@... and we'll work somthing out.. Remind me you are CodeGit from BB.COM

thanks

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#30]
Hmm...it looks kinda basic. That's all I can say from what I see. Are those filler textures?

I just don't see anything that makes it stand out and say "buy me because I'm an awesome tank game!". Please take it in a positive manner though, no bashing meant and I can elaborate more if I'm not clear enough.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#31]
Are those filler textures?

Nope, because I cant grow artistic talents overnight they will be what I use unless the unlikely happens and someone with real talent in that area offers their services for free. I may try to tweak them or make some more, but theres no pretending that I can produce high quality art.

Hmm...it looks kinda basic

I just don't see anything that makes it stand out and say "buy me because I'm an awesome tank game!".

No offense taken at all. It is quite basic, but i've never said im selling it you must have assumed I am.. and I guess thats the compliment ill pull out of that :)

However it has the features I planned on it having before starting so im pretty happy with it.

Play style is not hectic, but still fun.
Solid network play
5 weapons
Power ups
Destroyable scenery
Persistent stats
Server Lobby
Chat
Weapons that lend to co-op play instead of every man for himself.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#32]
Ill be posting a beta demo tomorrow for sure. It wont have the destroyable scenery in it, im still tweaking that. But im anxious to get a real test underway.. I guess ill make a new topic in the Showcase as I dont think many would know the demo was posted in this topic , ill list a small bit of info along with the demo.

Thanks in advance to anyone who checks it out.

Ive went back to the outlines.. and created a modified version of Easybuilder that outputs every peice of data i need for server and client.
I also changed the font, and smoothed a few of the sharper looking low poly models like the trees and rocks in this shot.

heres a shot of the main lobby so far, all the objects in the back are moving or animating in some way.. clouds float by, the sun spins and wobbles , and the landmasses at the bottom wobble about as well.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#33]
and heres a small vid i put together.. its not the best , but its 2 a.m here. Just me tinkering on the demo map by myself, most of the particle effects are placeholders until I get time to make an editor for my mesh particle lib, wich is in the archives.

http://www.empowergames.com/TTBETA.WMV

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#34]
Man, that looks so good. You should be very proud of that. I can see that being lots of fun!

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#35]
Looks good. Are you going to add AI Bots to play against as well as online?

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#36]
Thanks guys.

Stevie, I may. But right now its not a commercial project so im just putting in what I need to have a multiplayer game. If I ever decide to start selling it then I will start adding all those "must have" features. bots wouldnt be hard to add though.

Trying to get the demo together now, should be a few more hours.. Some last minute things I have to do with it.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#37]
Two running topics regarding one project is too much, So I started a worklog for tiny tanks http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=69&log=1686.

ill let this topic die , if you want to comment please refer to the demo topic I have created. http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=85073
Just as soon as I get can a dedicated server running from my dsl modem ill post there.

Thanks