Completed remake: Omega Race 2009

Community Forums/Showcase/Completed remake: Omega Race 2009

Sokurah(Posted 2009) [#1]
I remade this game in Blitz 3D back in 2006 but I wanted to make it better, easier and prettier, so I rewrote it from scratch in Blitz Max. It's taken 3½ weeks.

You can download it here; http://tardis.dk/wordpress/?page_id=181

Let me know what you think of it.

EOF(Posted 2009) [#2]
Very nice and polished
How do you do the glow vectors? They are sweet

Thanks for supporting EeePC (1024x600) too!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#3]
Looks like you're drawing a `glow` sprite at each vertex?

Sokurah(Posted 2009) [#4]
>How do you do the glow vectors? They are sweet

I'm using Indiepath's Texturedpoly module.

GW(Posted 2009) [#5]
I'm using Indiepath's Texturedpoly module.

So your using an old build of Blitzmax to compile the game?

Sokurah(Posted 2009) [#6]
Not that old, but I'm a firm believer of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Updating often breaks things so I'll update when I have a need for it.

Besides, I'm not actually using 'texturedpoly' as a module. I've edited it and is using 'include' instead. Much easier that way.

EDIT: Because the game was a bit too difficult I've tweaked it to be a lot easier and uploaded a version 1.1.
Just download it again if you didn't get anywhere. :)

dmaz(Posted 2009) [#7]
nice, though the original was controlled with a dial. you really should add mouse control so you get that analog feel to the ship rotation.

So your using an old build of Blitzmax to compile the game?

the source is available for Indie's texturedpoly.mod just not for his poly.mod but the compiled mod still works with the latest blitzmax version. or you can just rewrite that module as I did.

Besides, I'm not actually using 'texturedpoly' as a module. I've edited it and is using 'include' instead. Much easier that way
hmmm... ;)

GW(Posted 2009) [#8]
the source is available for Indie's texturedpoly.mod just not for his poly.mod but the compiled mod still works with the latest blitzmax version. or you can just rewrite that module as I did.

I never could get it to work. Something about the dx7.device has changed a few versions back of Max2d and it wont run.
the reason I asked was because I wondered if someone had fixed it to work with later versions of bmax.

dmaz(Posted 2009) [#9]
well, I'm pretty sure you do need to recompile texturedpoly.mod but poly should be ok... the source for texturedpoly.mod is http://www.modules.indiepath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11

Sokurah(Posted 2009) [#10]
Just wanted to say that I've updated the game to v1.2 and a lot of things have been tweaked for this version.

Here's the changes I can remember right now;

* Added a lot of sounds: when enemy fires, when enemy transforms, when shots hits or go through walls, a few others.
* Added a "check for update" option.
* Added mouse control (The original arcade game is using a spinner, so some people may prefer this).
* Added an option for better sound on Windows Vista (I'd like some feedback on whether this works or not).
* Added the possibility to enter name using joystick, to make the game more cabinet friendly.
* Game will now keep increasing speed and spawing the red enemy if you stay too long on a level.
* Tweaked inertia a bit. Now the ship takes longer to slow down, but loses a bit of speed when hitting the borders.
* Many more minor changes to the difficulty.

@GW
Have you made it work? - I can post what I'm using if you'd like?