Vehicles in 2.24

Community Forums/Showcase/Vehicles in 2.24

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#1]
I got vehicles working well, finally. Thanks to Dave Gravel for his help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq2Qp3uFyZw

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#2]
i would like to see a vehicle driving on one of those tropical islands

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
I'd like to see a video that isn't completely uglified* by youtube's video encoding.

* This word may have been made up.

*(Posted 2009) [#4]
what about physics like skidding, and damage on the vehicle ;)

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#5]
nice demo.. how about a little more skidding like edzup said? it seemed like the vehicle simply turned 90 degrees with no rolling or skidding.

AdrianT(Posted 2009) [#6]
you can try adding &fmt=18 to the end of youtube links to get the high quality version. Not sure if that works in the UK but here in the US all videos on youtube have a higher quality version, almost twice as good.

Try the link below, see if it worked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq2Qp3uFyZw&fmt=18

The vehicle handling reminds me a lot of Torque, though the collisions are MUCH better :)

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#7]
You can get different behavior by adjusting parameters. I think I used a 4wd vehicle with pretty high tire traction for that video, but you can adjust it for more sliding if you want.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#8]
The vehicle stuff looks great, the only thing that struck me was the detail map or whatever your using for the ground, blurs out so close. it would look fine in first person but in 3rd person it looks a bit odd. This engines really moving along. have you done any animated mesh demos yet?

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#9]
The first-person weapon in the demo is an animated mesh.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#10]
I'm eventaully gonna be forced to buy this.

Can the terrains get big enough and stay fast enough for a flight sim?

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#11]
4096x4096 is the max resolution, and you can adjust the meters per tile to make it bigger than that. For an FPS game I recommend 2 meters per tile, which means the max terrain size is 8.192x8.192 scale kilometers. For a flight sim you would not need this density, so you could increase the meters per tile to make the terrain much bigger.

Terrain rendering speed is dependent on how much terrain is within the camera range. If the camera has a limited range, terrain much bigger than the visible range will not be evaluated in the rendering routine, so it makes no difference in speed.