Erika E. Eppeley

Community Forums/Showcase/Erika E. Eppeley

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#1]
I made a nice platform game called "Erika E. Eppeley".

My goal was to make an oldskool platform game as in good old times, though I did try somethings with the engine that may make it not as oldskool as it looks. :)

The game is completely freeware, and I'm am planning some expansions, but I'm not planning a commercial version, so the game will always be free to download.

Some nice features Erika E. Eppeley supports
- Levels in "worlds". Each world (except the final one) has 3 levels following the theme the world was set up for.
- Compatible in both MacOS and Windows (MacOS is a PPC build, but I tried it on an Intel Mac too, and it works perfectly).
- Cheat codes if you hate fair play, you can try out winning the game with those :)
See if you can figure them out :P (I may post the cheat codes later)
- Patching. Erika E. Eppley has a patching system, that allows you to play EEE without modifying the original game, though I never created any tools to make use of the patching system, a document on how that works is provided on my download site. :)
- Customizable keyboard setup. If you don't like the keys as I set them up you can change them.

Standard keys
Direction keys - move Erika
Alt - Jump
Ctrl - Fire
Space - Activate switches
F1 - Pause game
F5 - Save game*

* To prevent save game abuse, the game only saves either the start of the level or the state of the game when you activated your last checkpoint.

Known bugs
- Sometimes when standing on a "moving platform" your feet may get stuck in it. I'm not quite sure how to fix that, but I am working on it.
- One grave at the beginning of "Twilight Zone - Level 1" may block the way while that was not intended. However you can jump over it. I know how to fix that and will do so in the next version of the game.

If you see parts in which the game can improve, let me know (however, I must impress that I know that some graphics suck. I am a poor drawer and I didn't have the luxury of having a graphics designer. If you know somebody who can do a better job than I did, lemme know. I'm always interested).

Go to my site

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#2]
I hate you for making me download an installer.:)
I had a couple of laughs with it. pretty masculine voice for a girl. it needs a bit of a background. it's a nice game. I bet you can improve alot of things with out my opinion so I'll leave it at that.

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#3]
Sorry about that installer, but I figured that when total nitwits download my stuff an installer is the easiest way :)
(I know the people on this forum will all know how to play the game without an installer, but the page was mainly set up for a general audience).

I can asure you that Erika's voice has been done by a real woman, so no males with morphed voices. I recorded her voice just for what it is, and she has a voice that sounds pretty cheerful, and maybe even funny. That's why I asked her to do it for me :)
I hope she doesn't feel insulted by your remark about her voice though :D

it needs a bit of a background.

Background is a word that can be interpreted on several ways. When you say background, you mean that there should be more background graphics while playing a level, or are you more referring to that the game needs more story line and more background on the character Erika herself?

I chose to focus most on the game and its engine, so that caused less background on Erika herself. When it comes to graphical background, maybe you should take a look at the "Bitotopia" levels and the "Space" levels and tell me if that is what you meant. If you don't want to play the entire game to get there you can use the "SCOTTY" cheat code and you can go to any level you want to. (They are sorted by level code. The Bitotopia levels are codenamed "BMP" and the Space levels are codenamed "Space")

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#4]

you mean that there should be more background graphics while playing a level

yes
sorry about the voice, it sounds "faked" thats why I assumed. Let me shut up before I get in more trouble.;)

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#5]
I don't think she'll be crazy enough to buy a ticket to the US in order to teach you a lesson, so I suppose the "trouble" won't be that big. I haven't spoken to her yet. When I have I'll let you know what she thinks of it, ok? =)

When it comes to background in the game, I'll look into it, but I suck on the graphics part, but maybe there I can find some people to help me on it :)

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#6]
Alright, to let you know... She took it pretty well, though she wasn't happy to be taken for a man :)