Children of Arcadia

Community Forums/Showcase/Children of Arcadia

jhocking(Posted 2009) [#1]
My collaborator Mark Skwarek and I have been working on this piece for a long time. I just uploaded to YouTube some video from the reception on Monday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSi04a8Wq7I

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#2]
looks interesting cant really tell much about the details from the video

puki(Posted 2009) [#3]
Looks cool.

I want that huge screen thing.

jhocking(Posted 2009) [#4]
What sort of details are you referring to? I mean, you're absolutely right that's a pretty grainy video, I'm just curious what details exactly people are missing.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#5]
Looks like the big screen is showing the whole scene live with all the characters. And it looks like th elittle screen is showing someone moving around form their perspective, and while they are moving on their screen, you can see where they are on the large screen.

How many small screens are there and how many people can "play" at the same time?

jhocking(Posted 2009) [#6]
Yep that is how it's setup!

There's just one first-person station in this installation, so there's just one person while all the other characters in the space are computer controlled. We would certainly like to have more than one person in the space (our original schematics showed several) but for now we're limited by the simple practical consideration of not enough computers for additional stations.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#7]
Is it a Blitz3D job? Cool setup anyway!

for now we're limited by the simple practical consideration of not enough computers for additional stations.

Why not allow people to hook up their own laptops via a wireless connection? They could copy the client from a shared folder and run it themselves.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#8]
Why not allow people to hook up their own laptops via a wireless connection? They could copy the client from a shared folder and run it themselves.

The logistics, support and expense would likely be beyond the capabilities for the museum.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#9]
The logistics, support and expense would likely be beyond the capabilities for the museum.
I think if they can afford a massive telly like that, they should be able to manage a few more quid for a bit of wifi hardware.

jhocking(Posted 2009) [#10]
Actually that's not a massive telly, nor did they purchase it. That's two projections Mark spent days lining up perfectly side by side, and the projectors were lent by us to the museum for the show. It was kinda annoying that I had to shell out for a projector for this, but at least I only had to purchase one and anyway I was kinda thinking of getting a projector to use at home anyway.

Is it a Blitz3D job?

Yep!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#11]
Whoa, Blitz3D job, fantastic. Very impressive looking work, I like the acoustic music too.

I was so impressed I watched it a second time - I don't do that very often with you tube, I could see the characters moving around on the sand by the beach the second time I viewed it. Brilliant work!

jhocking(Posted 2009) [#12]
My sisters still haven't sent me the high-res originals, but I've seen how the photos came out that they took: