Eerie level video - Tommy Tronic

Community Forums/Showcase/Eerie level video - Tommy Tronic

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#1]
Video is gone now due to people having trouble playing it.

Actually - Try this SWF version:

http://gnarlysoft.co.uk/STUFF.html

Warner(Posted 2009) [#2]
I have trouble playing the video. Both Iexplore and Firefox need a plugin, and when I install it, on MS, the videoplayer appears, but it refuses to run, and on FF, no player shows.
On your site, who made the graphics? They look very good.

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#3]
I recently updated my codecs - It was made using these. I also notice my older machines would not play it...damn codecs seem to change just for fun as there is never ever any noticeable reason why they're different.

Maybe try a codec update and it'll work.

Graphics are all my own - thanks.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#4]
Put it on youtube?

Warner(Posted 2009) [#5]
My PC is three months old :/ And I installed a codec pack.

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#6]
Maybe it's an activeX thingy then? Do you have it disabled?

Anyhow - download it here if you like:

http://gnarlysoft.co.uk/tt_lev7.avi

GfK(Posted 2009) [#7]
Looks good!

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#8]
looks good, nice job.

oh and before it would play for me in IE, i had to allow/install Microsoft MediaPlayer ActiveX thing or some such.

Warner(Posted 2009) [#9]
You're prob. right. Downloading works. It looks very good! I like the graphics, and the intro music. Also, the voice. At first I wasn't sure if I liked it, but after seeing it a few times, I do. One thing seemed a bit unlogical, when Tommy reaches the door, he seems to go underground? The sound effects are nice. As far as the in-game music, it could maybe use a 'hook' of some kind, like the music of ghosts'n'goblins or mario. But that is my personal taste maybe.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#10]
Warner:

One thing seemed a bit unlogical, when Tommy reaches the door, he seems to go underground?

Hujiklo 1st post:

although note, it is in debug mode and the player dropping through the floor to avoid a locked door is intentional!

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#11]
Very nice.

Maybe the camera movement could be smoothed out a little bit, by making it follow the player with a small delay. (Averaging between old and new position of the camera, using the player location as the target.)

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#12]
It's juddering because of the video grabbing and simultaneous writing to harddisk - the camera is smooth.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Lindsay(Posted 2009) [#13]
Looks great! This is all done in Blitz?

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#14]
No picture. Just use Vimeo or YouTube.

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#15]
Sorry to those who are having problems - I never expected this hassle from a simple avi!

http://www.free-codecs.com/K_lite_codec_pack_download.htm

Download this codec pack will fix all.
Download the 'basic' pack as it's smaller.

This not is not a serious demo at any rate - thank chunky cha-cha.

plash(Posted 2009) [#16]
Please, for our sake, use Youtube or Vimeo.
I wouldn't even try hosting a video of my own at my site (mainly for these reasons, and bandwidth).

MGE(Posted 2009) [#17]
Youtube it already.

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#18]
Not signing up to Youtube - or anywhere else. Sorry.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#19]
I think that if you want more people to see it, you'll have to.

People generally won't go out of their way if something doesn't work right off the bat, they'll just toddle off and look at something else.

meemoe_uk(Posted 2009) [#20]
>Not signing up to Youtube - or anywhere else. Sorry.
?! o_O
Quite an interesting character aren't you Hujiklo? Are you going to post your logic for this statement so we can debug it?
Can't you use your override 'not signing up for anything' function you used to sign up for blitzbasic?

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#21]
Logic is, I'm sick of signing up for stuff and won't do it anywhere anymore. Blitz is different, no explanation needed there...also it's only a video - nobody 'needs' to see it, it was simply a gesture that proved more hassle than it's clearly worth. If I'd thought about it I wouldn't have even posted it...so I apologise for your collective troubles.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#22]
If you want to kiss ass you're going to have to crouch down lower because I'm sitting on the ground. Cheers!

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#23]
Oh dear - that's probably the last thing I want.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#24]
Don't worry, it was a joke.

I think the mpeg 2 codec is universally supported if youtube is a step too far.

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#25]
Try this SWF version:

http://gnarlysoft.co.uk/STUFF.html

josk(Posted 2009) [#26]
Looks great.

amonite(Posted 2009) [#27]
looks very promising.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#28]
Looks pretty, are you going to have a demo? I might buy it for my son, he likes those types of games.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#29]
Thing is, if you aren't willing to sign up to youtube, or video sharing site, then what makes you think people are going to download a codec pack and install, just to watch one video?

Anyway, i love this games style. Wonderful looking graphics. Good luck with this one.

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#30]
Updating these damn codecs is a continuous process regardless of what I post..I'm just tired of signing up and making accounts all over the place, so I'm digging my heels in and not doing anymore.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#31]
No problems here, played as soon as the page loaded.
You got a nice gameplay going there; the only things I'd comment about (if you're not taking critics then please ignore this) is the whiny voice of the character (hearing that for more than 30 minutes should be very bothering) and the MIDI class gm instruments. You gotta get better music (or at least revamp it with better samples\virtual instruments), to stay up there with the same good quality as you have with the sprites and levels, special effects, etc.

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#32]
Well the sound quality is very, very low on that video, and the Midi music is just place holder for a musician to use for reference, but feel-wise the music should hopefully not be too far away from what is there, though it will more than likely be properly produced ogg files.

Tommy's voice will be staying as it is, for me it is fine and suits his appearance well - the fact is you cannot please everybody and there are bound to be people who don't like it - plus it's a bit late in the day, I'm not going to go through all that recording hassle again no way!

By the way, there are no sprites in the traditional sense, it's all 3D. Thanks for the comments.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#33]
Oh, they are models? I thought they were pre-rendered sprites.

Warner(Posted 2009) [#34]
The voice is quite good actually, and I agree that it fits the character. Maybe the game can have an option to mute it, for those who are bothered by it?

Zenith(Posted 2009) [#35]
Adorable sound effects :)