The Munchies

Community Forums/Showcase/The Munchies

therevills(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi All,

Here is a work-in-progress game we have been.. err.. working on... The Munchies:

Guide your Munchies to the Exit...

[Edit - New link]
http://therevills.syntaxbomb.com/Demos/The_Munchies_July.zip

To-Do:

* Intro
* Outro
* Levels
* Options
* Achievements
* Map Screen
* Sounds / Music

The level editor is included in the zip if you want to mess around with it:

Left Mouse Click - Paste Tile
Right Mouse Click - Clear Tile
Middle Mouse Click - Select area for copy and paste

What do you think?

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#2]
nice, a litle twist of Lemmings :). I like everything except that you used grey's sfx. not that I don't like it that it's gray's. it's just that I studied his code so much tryied, modified and tested that I got tired of hearing it. Other than that, I liked the whole profesional look and feel.

by the way, if it's not a bother, make the file name one word plus the extension or use a hyphen/underscore so they can download it directly. the yellow highlite is misleading and I know it's not your fault.

therevills(Posted 2009) [#3]
nice, a litle twist of Lemmings :).

Thanks!

that you used grey's sfx

I know... its just a placeholder sfx...

make the file name one word plus the extension

Doh, Ive fixed up the URL (added %20)

Thanks for the feedback...

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#4]
I love these types of games. In fact I was thinking about making one earlier this year but decided against it. Nice Job.

joncom2000(Posted 2009) [#5]
I like it and it plays well, the graphics remind me alot of the 16bit era and Amiga games. What there already feels like its been done well and once you add the stuff on your todo list you will have a very nice game :)

Chalky(Posted 2009) [#6]
Brilliant. Took me back to the first time I played Lemmings on my Amiga 500. Very well done.

therevills(Posted 2009) [#7]
Thanks for the positive feedback games ;)

Now just got to finish it....

What did you think of the bomb? Do you think it should explode on contact or did the timer add a more skilled aspect?

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#8]
This is way cool. I've commented on the framework forum. You are welcome to use the sfx as placeholders (they sound quite good actually) but yeah they should be changed before launched. Good luck with it.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#9]
Cute.

I did find a bit of a bug: I had two munchies -- one was a blocker, and the other one was walking back and forth between the blocker and a wall. Then when I had the walker throw a bomb, he was able to walk past the blocker guy at the same time, escaping his little back-and-forth track.

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#10]
I love the look of the munchies...

After looking at them here and at Syntaxbomb, the more I look at them, the more I could see myself trying to make some sort of game around them.

Look after them therevills, it'll be a shame not too, you've got a good thing there mate! ;)

Dabz

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#11]
@dabhand
you know those images are a gift to the community I think by kRUZe he posted a link in the graphics comunity, but the link is broken now. I have them in my archives some where.

*EDIT*
you can download them from here:
http://www.spicypixel.net/2008/01/10

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#12]
Oh, thanks Jesse... Top stuff! :)

I'll just put them to one-side though, dont wanna take therevills thunder! :)

Dabz

therevills(Posted 2009) [#13]
Thanks for the comments guys!

Its funny, I was working on another game and the artist, Marc, emailed me as I had made a platformer demo with these graphics, asking me if I had done anything else with them and I just started messing around with them again, thinking on the same lines as you Dabz that it would be cool making a game around them, so after a couple of months... The Munchies appeared :)

Thanks for the bug report xlsior!

gosse(Posted 2009) [#14]
Maybe some keyboard shortcuts would be useful to be able to use the actions faster without using the mouse back and forth to the action bars. F-keys spring to mind.

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#15]
Very Very cool. Thx ;)

JP

therevills(Posted 2009) [#16]
@gosse - yep shortcut keys are going to be included - maybe even user-defined;-)

Havent done much work on this for a week - been to busy at work (coder by day, so when I get home my motivation is a bit lacking - then I see my BFG royalty payment for the month and kick myself into action)

MGE(Posted 2009) [#17]
hey..i just saw this! I have a game prototype (not done in bmax) using this same image set. Mine is more of a generic platformer, but it's fun to see this tile/sprite set used in so many cool ideas.

therevills(Posted 2009) [#18]
Hey Guys!

Heres an updated verison of The Munchies:

http://therevills.syntaxbomb.com/Demos/The_Munchies_July.zip

Added:
*20 Levels in total
*9 Actions (+4 others - Reset/Nomal Speed/Fast Forward/Slow Mo)
*Data is saved (options/level etc)
*Locked actions
*Options Screen w/ Credits Screen
*Achievement Screen (not finished)
*3 Play Modes
-Casual - Unlimited No. of Actions and no Time Limit
-Normal - Limited No. of Actions and no Time Limit
-Hard - Limited No. of Actions and a Time Limit (some levels have not got a Time Limit set, so you lose straight away! )

Some of the later levels are a bit sparse...

If you've played the game before, delete the "The Revills Games/The Munchies" folder from your Application Data (XP) or ProgramData (Vista/7).

Let us know what you think

Thanks!

therevills(Posted 2009) [#19]
Added keyboard shortcuts too (1-9)...

CGV(Posted 2009) [#20]
I just noticed you updated this.

The new loading/title/achievement screens look really great but unfortunately they now make the in-game graphics look bad.

Are you planning to upgrade them as well?

I can't get passed the grog level so I can't comment on the rest of the game but the tutorial levels seem a bit redundant. I think you could combine them into half as many levels. (just my opinion.)

How do the keyboard shortcuts work?

I naively pressed the 1-9 keys and nothing happens.

therevills(Posted 2009) [#21]
in-game graphics look bad.

In what way?

but the tutorial levels seem a bit redundant

Maybe I went over board with them... Its meant to be a casual game, but thought at times it was complex and needed the tutorials...

I naively pressed the 1-9 keys and nothing happens.

Are the actions enabled?
On the screen shot above, you see only the first and third actions are enabled and you should be able to select them by pressing 1 and 3, but 2 and 4-9 shouldn't work...

CGV(Posted 2009) [#22]
In what way?

I think it's the background image that spoils it.

Are the actions enabled?

Yes, at the level that I'm at now the first 4 actions are enabled but pressing the number keys doesn't select them.

I tried the number pad keys as well and nothing.

I have a Microsoft natural keyboard 4000.

therevills(Posted 2009) [#23]
Which download link did you get?

If you got the July one, did you recently get it (I updated last night - 12 hours ago)?

CGV(Posted 2009) [#24]
I re-downloaded it and the keys work.

I guess I had the older version.

Sorry about that. :)

therevills(Posted 2009) [#25]

I guess I had the older version.

Cool... thought I messed up there. :)

Sorry about that. :)

NP

Jur(Posted 2009) [#26]
Good to see a well done 2d puzzle game like this.

therevills(Posted 2009) [#27]
Help! I need a new name for this game... any suggestions?

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#28]
"Which way do I go George"... seriously though.. its a hard one... have to sleep on it.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#29]
The Crunchies.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#30]
The Helpless Hannites?

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#31]
Lead Your People

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#32]
Two eyed walking Purple People Leaders (with a hue change)

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#33]
Prarie Dog Exit Challenge? LOL

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#34]
how about "Goobers"
or "Exodus"

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#35]

how about "Goobers"

haha i was thinking the same thing the other day.

Goobers: in the quest of chocalot

in that sorta fashion, then if the game did well enough he could do more.

Goobers: <insert cheezy tile here>

think along the lines of Indiana Jones and the..........

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#36]
Just don't call it Galactic Goobers lol

therevills(Posted 2009) [#37]
Thanks for the suggestions guys... I hate making up names, they either dont suit or just totally stupid...

I like the subtitle idea KingNothing... and its funny you mentioned chocalot... (did I mention this at some stage? Cant remember - must be getting old....)

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#38]
You mentioned chocolat over at BlitzMonkeys. He may have read it there.

By the way, is it spelled chocolat in Australia? We spell it chocolate (with an E on the end in the US).

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#39]
You mentioned chocolat over at BlitzMonkeys. He may have read it there.

yep i knew i saw it mentioned somewhere.

By the way, is it spelled chocolat in Australia? We spell it chocolate (with an E on the end in the US).

my bad, got ahead of myself and forgot the 'e'

plus i was picturing in my head, the subtitle being pronounced with a bad french accent to go with the cheezy title theme. and pronounced it

'shock-o-lot' if that makes any sence ;-)

therevills(Posted 2009) [#40]
Im actually English living in Oz.... They (The Aussies) spell it with the 'E' (like the English/US).

I thought KingNothing was doing a play on the word - choc-alot instead of chocolate... lol