BlitzMax draws a map...

Community Forums/Showcase/BlitzMax draws a map...

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#1]
Here's another little tech-demo showing some of the non-game things you can achieve with BlitzMax and third party modules.

This time, we try our hand at a Google Maps look-alike...

Download for Win32 :
osm_demo.rar (828kb)

Controls :
* Left-Click and drag to scroll around the map.
* Scrollwheel to zoom in and out.
* Escape to quit.

Modules used :
* BaH.FreeImage (imaging)
* BaH.Libcurl (internet)
* BaH.DBSQLite (database)

Requirements :
* A fairly fast internet connection (there's a lot of data to stream)
* A reasonable amount of disk-space for the image caching. (It will attempt to create a tiles folder)

This is a non-threaded example, downloading the images concurrently as you interact with the display, so you get an occasional stutter if the load is heavy. I tried to get a good balance between the number of images I could download at the same time, and keeping the UI running smoothly...
It's also only a quick knock-together demo done in a day, so it's still a tad flaky in places. But I think it's fun to play with... well, if you like maps - which, sadly, I do.

:o)

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
Woaahhh! Cool stuff Brucey.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#3]
Neat! I can almost see my home. You live near Vancouver or was it a random destination?

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#4]
Impressive amount of work, but it runs really slowly on my PC.

I don't suppose you've given any thought to clustering algorithms to make the selection of labels more sensible?

MGE(Posted 2009) [#5]
Impressive stuff Brucey....as usual. :)

Panno(Posted 2009) [#6]
build this for b3d some months ago , before the google server logged the ip and send a "non image available" if i download to much ....

looks cool

degac(Posted 2009) [#7]
Wow! Quite fast but usable! Very well!