Tank Universal in Russia

Community Forums/Showcase/Tank Universal in Russia

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#1]
Tank Universal's now available in Russia

http://www.1c.ru/news/info.jsp?id=9793

Apparently they've renamed it 'CyberTank'. Ok.

Wonder if I can get a copy for the bookshelf...

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#2]
That's awesome, congratulations!

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#3]
Congrats! Hopefully you got paid OK as many developers have had issues with Russian publishers.

Doiron(Posted 2009) [#4]
Well, 1C is one of the biggest and most respected though (they produced most of the best russians games, and lots of... IL-2 Sturmovik, Silent Storm, Fantasy Wars and Cryostasis, for example).

puki(Posted 2009) [#5]
Do Russians pay for games?

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#6]
Congrats! Hopefully you got paid OK as many developers have had issues with Russian publishers.

Put it this way - they paid a modest advance (which was split with my publishers of course) and the royalty terms are pretty tough, so I'd be surprised to see much arise there frankly. Sigh. On the other hand, we've also put the russian version on Steam, so that might bring in a few more sales...

Still, it'll be cool to get a boxed copy.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#7]
Hi madJack,

Reminds me of Paolo's TECNO, I wonder how well that sold.

So was this your idea or your publishers?

Is it called Cybertank in the actual game too?
Would be pretty funny if it only says Cybertank on the cover. :)

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#8]
So was this your idea or your publishers?

Meridian4 approached 1c and negotiated the deal.

Would be pretty funny if it only says Cybertank on the cover. :)

As far as I'm aware, 'Cybertank' doesn't appear anywhere in the game, certainly not in the logo - unless they snuck it in to the russian translation text.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#9]
Yeah I have a boxed copy of Oz (US version), it's a great feeling. Some Russians paid us to convert it into Cyrillic. I did all the work and they still owed us more money but we never got it, but they never launched it either. So weirdly they paid us and they got nothing. I learned all about Unicode etc which I applied to future games so it was worth it in the end.

Your deal sounds solid, so good for you! :-)

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#10]
At least they gave you a choice MadJack. Usually in Russia they will just publish your game without asking and never think to pay you. They are like China when it comes to things like that.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2009) [#11]
Great for you

Zenith(Posted 2009) [#12]
Nice MadJack! I think! :)

So what's the next project you're going to be working on that I hope to be able to test? :)

MadJack(Posted 2009) [#13]
Z

Skirmish editor, hopefully leading in to TU2.

MikhailV(Posted 2009) [#14]
Cool! Congrats!

skidracer(Posted 2009) [#15]
Nice one MadJack, I once had some poetry translated into many strange languages, it was a proud moment.

I would hope we're all grown up enough around here not to indulge in national stereotypes, I personally find it a little repugnant.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#16]
I didn't know you knew Russian GA! Anywho, back to the topic...

Congrats MJ...maybe I'll be following in your footsteps by October (hopefully).

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#17]
This just goes to show that publishers are dying for decent games. Guys, FINISH your games for the love of the almighty being that created us all. It's simple...f i n i s h your game.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#18]
Well done MadJack... nice to see your product reachng more people all over the world!

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#19]
I didn't know you knew Russian GA! Anyhow, back to the topic...
Sorry, to be clear, I did all the code to support Cyrillic via Unicode and the producer got the art converted and the Russian's supplied the translations.