file encryption/decryption test

Community Forums/Showcase/file encryption/decryption test

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi,

I have posted file decrypters and encrypters here before and as some of you might know, it is a hobby of mine. Without further adu I present The File Encryption... program.. thingy :)

http://naillproductions.synthasite.com/resources/NTG%20enc_dec.zip

Please test this and throw everything you can at it.. try to reverse compile/engineer it or trick it or figure out how it works! if anyone here enjoys that kind of thing, please have a go and try to crack this code. Unfortunately, I cannot crack it myself because I know how it works so this presents a paradox. Each encryption requires a 10 number key to encrypt and the same one to decrypt it. Please read the readme before use as it can be confusing without instructions.

I have put a lot of encryption research into this method so please post if you find a bug or crack the code! Sorry I cant provide source code as it would allow you to "cheat" and see how it works from the inside although I will release the source later after a few tests.

Also feel free to use this for whatever you may need it for. Sorry for the lack of GUI but I spent so much time on the actual encryption, GUI isnt important for testing purposes.

jayparker(Posted 2009) [#2]
Tested quickly and works for me! :)

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#3]
thanks!

any code breakers out there? does any one else do this for a hobby?

also make sure you test the decrypting feature.. thats the part im worried about possibly having bugs.

puki(Posted 2009) [#4]
Sin and Cos.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#5]
ah... you are right.. those get a little use but only for the authentication key

puki(Posted 2009) [#6]
n1 to n10 hold the 10 parts of the key.

The Type is bit.

tot is a little slug that eats parsley.

puki(Posted 2009) [#7]
Falls on its face with single letters - gives the goose a chirp for its oink.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#8]
I have never really gotten into or had a need for encryption but I've been very distracted with compression algorithms now and then.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#9]
wow puki! thats impressive! may I ask how you did that?

puki(Posted 2009) [#10]
Well, your source code is basically on the end of a phone line.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#11]
Well, your source code is basically on the end of a phone line.

what is that supposed to mean? ... wait.. is the source code available in the exe if I compiled in debug... oops :p

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#12]
I have never really gotten into or had a need for encryption but I've been very distracted with compression algorithms now and then.

Depending on your methods, they can be one in the same, no? :)

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#13]
If you read the binaries of a B3D-generated exe you can see some of the source code in it (most of it being gibberish). Don't ask me why that's possible as I've got no idea (I used Resource Hacker on a Blitz3D exe, not an debug-compiled exe, but a real "professional" game).

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#14]
Depending on your methods, they can be one in the same, no? :)

slightly -- although compression by itself wouldn't qualify as encryption because there is no variable key involved.

And if you do both compression AND encryption, make sure to do the compression first and THEN the encryption, because if you do it the other way around the efficiency is WAY less.
(Properly encrypted data looks almost random, and random strings are next to impossible to encrypt since there are no repeating patterns or variable character frequencies which is what compression routines need...)