BMax 2D Framework on google code

Community Forums/Showcase/BMax 2D Framework on google code

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#1]
I snagged a few framework snippets from the archives and put it on google code. Any suggestions for what should be added?

Of course it's free/public domain. If you'd like to contribute please post a snippet so I can include it. Thanks.

So far there's:

--TCursor 'custom cursor image with out of window handling
--Window centering on the desktop
--Setting the window title bar text on the fly

Coming up:
FRL+Tween code (with spike suppression)
TGame
TScreen (that you can attach menu items too such as sliders etc)

http://code.google.com/p/bmax2dframework/

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#2]
Yeah I know... The first iteration was pants. But now there's a 2nd version with the fixed rate logic + tween + delta spike suppression and it's in a zip with the appropriate single .png graphic needed for execution. Give it a whirl and tell me what you think. Any corrections/criticism is appreciated.

The FRL timing part appears to be a bit bloated but it works. The Flip 1 works best in full screen mode and Flip 0 works best in windowed mode. I noticed that right outta the gate.

Use the above link.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#3]
Already updated to v0.003 with a FRL fix (I had it screwed up pretty bad but it was still working). Now it's much smoother in windowed mode with Flip 1. Also, the delta spike suppression is set to record the last 20 delta times and return the average. Seems to work pretty decent.

See above link.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#4]
I am sure this will be useful for many people!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#5]
The delta spike thing seems to work really well. Flip 1 was consistently best for me, in both windowed and full-screen, though CPU usage is 100% (I believe that's down to Flip polling?). Flip 0 in windowed was jerky when dragging other windows around, while 1 stayed perfectly (no, unbelievably!) smooth.

The only problem I can see is in the licensing, as both the source code itself and your post here say PD (yay!), while the Google page says GPL 2, which makes a massive difference, in that anyone using it could be legally compelled to release their own project's source code!

Google only offer a strict set of open source licenses they're willing to host, so your project could be pulled at any point (dual licensing isn't allowed), and having spent a couple of hours looking around, it doesn't sound like any of them are suitable if the code is intended for PD-style use, which includes closed-source commercial releases.

They pretty much all say that the resulting work can be distributed by anyone, though they are all open to interpretation, some more than others -- BSD and MIT surprisingly so.

Maybe you could consider hosting it in the Code Archives here, with a corresponding Worklog? Anyway, good project regardless!

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#6]
I believe github lets you use whatever licence you like.

plash(Posted 2009) [#7]
I believe github lets you use whatever licence you like.
Yup :)

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#8]
Glad to hear the delta spike suppressor(tm) is working that well. :)

I'll check out github. Not sure if it tracks how many times each version has been downloaded but it's cool to know if people are actually checking it out. Geez, you guys actually got me excited to add more stuff now. I'll have a few hours to tinker with it some more tonight. But knowing me, I'll probably be up till 1am messing with it...

Thanks for the input.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#9]
FWIW, I was close to ditching BMax completely, but if you keep on with this, it might keep me using BM.

Yahfree(Posted 2009) [#10]
I suggest looking here:

http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=82765

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#11]
Disregard...

New version up with game pause on window minimize.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#12]
Btw, if anyone wants to be added so they can upload new versions let me know. I'm currently working on my game so it'll be a few days for any updates.