New Star Grand Prix

Community Forums/Showcase/New Star Grand Prix

siread(Posted 2009) [#1]

This is an old school top-down racer. The demo allows you to try a Quick Race in either Australia, Malaysia or China. The final version will contain all 17 F1 tracks and a full career mode. The real team/driver names will be changed in the final release of course.

http://download.newstargames.com/Install_NSGP.exe

Controls

Cursor Key Left: Steer Left
Cursor Key Right: Steer Right
Cursor Key Up: Accelerate
Cursor Key Down: Brake
Space Bar: Show race info (positions, fuel, damage)
Escape: Pause/Options

Let me know your thoughts. :)

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#2]
This is great. I really like your games. Have you considered doing a "New Star Golf"?

siread(Posted 2009) [#3]
It's a toss up between golf and tennis for my next project. :)

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#4]
Nice one man! I was playing that for about an hour :D

MikeHart(Posted 2009) [#5]
Looks like a nice game but I'm allways wondering how you get a license to use real names in your games. You must be a rich man. :)

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#6]
He doesn't:
The real team/driver names will be changed in the final release of course

I played it earlier today. It's fun and I like it how you need to get to the pit to get fueled and fixed. Lots of other racers feature a pit but it's hardly every needed.

Something that did make me wonder, and maybe it's just me, but I absolutely hate the sound of the full grid + crowd while waiting for the lights to go green... ehm, I mean off. It's a bit too loud I think.

byo(Posted 2009) [#7]
That's some neat oldschool graphics.

And I vote golf as well.
I still like playing that Hole-In-One game that used to come with Blitzbasic.

MikeHart(Posted 2009) [#8]
@HtBaa

You are right about the team names and the drivers. But sometimes track names are also protected. Even the term F1 and Formula 1 are protected I think.

siread(Posted 2009) [#9]
Yeah, I'm steering clear of "F1" and all the track names are just country/city names. Driver and team names will be altered slightly. Hemilton. :)

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#10]
Look very nice and I will try download the demo as I am F1 fans too :)

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#11]
Good job. It`s a nice game.

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#12]
This is nice. I only played a quick race in Australia, but I came across one niggle:

When racing you're centred in the middle of the screen. This is good. Trouble is (on the Australia track, at least, although I'd be surprised if it didn't happen elsewhere too) the background image isn't quite big enough, and the scrolling reaches the edge of it at some points (in Australia, at the leftmost edge). This causes the track to stop scrolling in that direction and makes one's car move on-screen (away from the centre) to compensate.

In high-speed races such as these, this is quite a jarring effect.

I imagine all you'd need to do is pad out the background image with scenery so the actual track doesn't come anywhere near the edge, and the scrolling doesn't stop during normal racing.

Apart from that, it was a lot of fun. The penalty of going off-track seems to be a nice balance between penalising your speed and not totally ruining your race.

Congratulations.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#13]
Really cool game and I enjoy it and will there be F1 car crashing in Real life ? :D

Steve Elliott(Posted 2009) [#14]
Nicely done. :-)

therevills(Posted 2009) [#15]
Good job!

Really cool... only thing I found was that the AI cars have got a smaller turning circle than the player so they can make some of the corners a lot easier than you!

I use to love playing Grand Prix on the Amiga, although I sucked at it... so I would put all the assistance options on (apart from self-righting) and drive backwards, destroying all the other cars and getting them to retire ;-)

siread(Posted 2009) [#16]
I have released the full version:

http://download.newstargames.com/Install_NSGP.exe

Enjoy!