Space Combat Sim - Download & Video

Community Forums/Showcase/Space Combat Sim - Download & Video

Matty(Posted 2009) [#1]
Good Afternoon, Morning, Evening or Night....

Please find below my free multiplayer Space Combat Sim. Instructions and links to video/downloads on webpage below:

http://home.people.net.au/%7Etmalcolm/tom/fleet/mypage.html

Hope you enjoy, I've found it quite fun to play with a few friends blowing away spaceships and dogfighting with them.

You can play against or with each other, with or without AI ships alongside/against you.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#2]
hmmm looks very nice! ill give it a try tomorrow. its almost midnight here :P

Vilu(Posted 2009) [#3]
Don't get me wrong, but when I read the term "Space Combat Sim", the little Newton in me got excited. However it looks more like "Trains in space" kind of arcadey shoot-em-up rather than a space sim. Being an old hardcore space sim fan, the word "simulation" is quite sacred for me in this sense.

But hey, who am I trying to be pedantic. My "sim" is 2d, while yours is 3d. :)

Looks nice nevertheless, good job!

puki(Posted 2009) [#4]
I watched the video and thought it looks very good.

I don't like the cockpit - looks too plastic and takes up a lot of room. If there was an option to remove the cockpit from view then I'd certainly disable it and just have the camera view and HUD.

However, the space view and all the shooting and stuff look very good.

I'll take the code and media.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#5]
This looks pretty cool, I like the space action going on. If you are looking for advice, I would suggest that the cockpit needs an overheal, it looks much too primitive - needs more details/texturing. Also your explosion animations could do with more frames. But other than that it looks exciting!

Sung(Posted 2009) [#6]
I love it Matty, great work!

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#7]
Looks good, the cockpit looks like an overlay ?

If it is, I would like to see it as a 3D cockpit , as part of the ship model. You could have some cool fly out the window and turn around camera effects to see whats behing you , ect.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#8]
Thanks all,
Puki - cockpit is staying in there simply because I like it, reminds me of the old wing commander days.
RifRaf - the cockpit is effectively a skybox, and you can look around out the windows to the left/rear/right simply by moving your mouse (if you are using a joystick) or pressing the left/right arrows if you are using the mouse to control the ship.

Hi Vilu - I know what you mean, I guess it's not really a sim, it's definitely more arcadey.

I may go and redo the cockpit - I actually spent a long time looking for some poser cockpit interiors (daz3d etc) but couldn't find anything I liked so made a very simple one of my own.

puki - I've not protected the media in anyway so feel free to take it, although I don't see how it can be of use to you in your rpgs...

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#9]
despite my best efforts I cannot get it to work... internet or lan :(
I went to http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/ to get my IP but im not sure if that is accurate

client was an xp quad core dont remember what ghz
server was a vista intel core duo 2.6 GHz
both on wireless

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#10]
The 'whatismyipaddress.com' will give you your internet address, but if you are behind a router you would also need to add a port forward in your router to point it to a PC on your internal network, otherwise the router will simply discard the incoming packets addressed to you.

If you are playing on your LAN, then you don't specify your external IP but your local area network IP --open a command prompt (start -> run -> cmd.exe) and type 'ipconfig'
It will give you your LAN IP.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#11]
ok thanks xlsior. ill give it a try

edit
ipconfig doesnt work on vista :( or at least it doesnt work on any of my vista machines

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#12]
ipconfig doesnt work on vista :( or at least it doesnt work on any of my vista machines

It works on Vista for me...

Perhaps it needs UAC to be disabled.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#13]
I dont think I have UAC. If I do for some reason I dont know how to turn it off. I thought I had full administrative privelages but I have heard that vista's privelage system is messed up

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#14]
I thought I had full administrative privelages but I have heard that vista's privelage system is messed up

when windows apps try to do 'prohibites' operations you you get the 'allow/deny' prompts when you have UAC enabled -- but the command line utilities will just fail flat-out.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#15]
oh ok.. so I found the command prompt in windows explorer and clicked run as administrator and it worked! thanks for the help

Matty(Posted 2009) [#16]
Had a game of this with my colleagues at work last night after work. Was great fun with about 4-5 of us. Of course you may say I am biased....they thought it ran pretty smooth and with no noticeable lag.