Happier than you, Feedback request

Community Forums/Showcase/Happier than you, Feedback request

christian223(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi, i made a game called "Happier than you", i think it doesnt run on Vista?(i dont have Vista :(...), please try it i have no idea why it happens since i dont use any special commands (not OS specific), if i use only blitmax code, it should run on Vista, right?.

Heres the game www.funeffect.com

Thanks!.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#2]
quick thing, on your webpage you have spelled Mystery "Mistery"

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2009) [#3]
On my Vista is does not work.
It just flashed very quickly and dissapear

christian223(Posted 2009) [#4]
I have absolutely no clue why it does not work on Vista... any ideas?.

therevills(Posted 2009) [#5]
Are you saving any data? Vista is funny about where you save it....

christian223(Posted 2009) [#6]
Yes i am, im creating a file that writtes the stats of the player to the game directory, and also the ini file, what should i do?????.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#7]
what should i do?????.
Follow the development guidelines that Microsoft has set for Vista and you will have no problems.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#8]
Yes i am, im creating a file that writtes the stats of the player to the game directory, and also the ini file, what should i do?????.

If user access control (UAC) is enabled on Vista (and it is by default), then you cannot save any files into the c:\program files\<your game> folder after the initial install.

Like GaryV said, follow Microsoft's development guidelines and it will work fine. They specify the exact locations that your game is allowed to save to without problems.

You should retrieve the paths programmatically since you can't count on the exact location, especially when dealing with non-English installs of windows.

Here is some Blitzmax code that will retrieve the folder names under Vista, courtesy of Grey Alien: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=73305

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#9]
Just curious, have you checked your virtual store to see if the file is actually being written?

TomToad(Posted 2009) [#10]
I'm running Vista Home Premium and have UAC turned on. Program installs and runs fine without problems except that when I click the X icon, the program will not end.
To test if the X is clicked, check for AppTerminate() anywhere you test for KeyHit(KEY_ESCAPE).
If KeyHit(KEY_ESCAPE) Or AppTerminate() Then End

christian223(Posted 2009) [#11]
Thanks a lot everybody. I used the code by Grey Alien, i hope it works now, coud you please download try it again?, Thanks a lot again!.

christian223(Posted 2009) [#12]
Is it posible that my game doesnt run on some machines because i use setviewport?.

Im still looking for more feedback by the way, so if you are kind enough to try it i would appreciate it very much, thanks!.

christian223(Posted 2009) [#13]
Could it be that there are problem with the sound driver?, could you download Openal divers and install them to see if that fixes the problem?:

(Download "Oanlist" from:)
http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx

If you want i can give a full copy to anyone who helps me, thanks.

EDIT: PRoblem solved: you need to install the Openal drivers in order for the game to run properly. Thanks everyone.

christian223(Posted 2009) [#14]
Hi, i DID solve the problem, now it works on some machines, but in others it does NOT work. The problem seems to be with Intel Mobile and ATI Mobility Radeon Cards, at least thats what 3 people have told me.

Could you people please keep testing my game and tell me your system config to get more clues on the problem?, or if you have ideas to share they are also welcome, thanks.

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#15]
on my machine, it just flashed very quickly and disappeared.

specs. below.

christian223(Posted 2009) [#16]
Thanks Jesse, i uploaded a new version, could you check it out and see if it works now?, thanks a lot.

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#17]
did the same thing.

christian223(Posted 2009) [#18]
Could you paste the contents of the Debulog.txt that is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\HTYDemo please? (it's not the same that is on the installation folder), thankyou!.

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#19]
Graphic Drivers Initialization |
Projection Matrix initialization |
Sound and Music Start |
Sound Diver: Openal |
Sound Drivers available: |
Sound Drivers number 0: OpenAL Default |
Sound Drivers number 1: OpenAL Generic Software |
Sound Drivers number 2: OpenAL Generic Hardware |
Sound Drivers number 3: OpenAL |
Sound Drivers number 4: FreeAudio |
Sound Drivers number 5: FreeAudio Multimedia |
Sound Drivers number 6: FreeAudio DirectSound |
Sound Drivers number 7: DirectSound |
Sound Drivers number 8: Null |

MGE(Posted 2009) [#20]
Use Bass for audio, no problems at all. ;)

christian223(Posted 2009) [#21]
Thanks Jesse.

MGE: are you saying that the problem is with OpenAL?, im asking because im trying to find out the problem but im still not sure.

Im using MaxMod for sounds.

Edit: Besides Bass is too expensive for me right now.

Im tryin to figure out what could be the problem, but im lost, i have no clue.

christian223(Posted 2009) [#22]
Could everyone try this no sound version to see if the problem is with maxmod?, thanks ! :

http://www.funeffect.com/HTYDemo/noSoundDemo-2.5.zip

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#23]
yes, this one works.

christian223(Posted 2009) [#24]
Thanks a ton Jesse.

It's Maxmod then, i don't know why it doesn't work on your machines, it should!, I'll investigate what other option i have, thanks!.

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#25]
I am using Crative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 add on card. If that helps.

christian223(Posted 2009) [#26]
Thanks Jesse. I think the solution would be to stop using maxmod and start using something else though. Thanks a lot for your help, very apreciated.

christian223(Posted 2009) [#27]
Hi everybody, could you try the demo again to see if it works now, please?, i think i finally fixed it...

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#28]
it works good now.

christian223(Posted 2009) [#29]
Thanks for letting me know. I'm sure everyone will be able to play it now, problems has been fixed. Thanks all!.