RetroRunner

Community Forums/Showcase/RetroRunner

meemoe_uk(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi dudes,
Here's my remake of loderunner. I've spent 6 years on it, so it's pretty tidy, the goal was to make the best LR, i.e. alot better than the XLBA version. Have I succeeded? You decide!

download page
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jmqznd3eajz

website
http://www.geocities.com/meemoe_uk/

Hope there's no bugs.

Enjoy!
Feedback appreciated!

steve_ancell(Posted 2009) [#2]
Played a few levels.

Very good game, although the A.I is a little bit on the strong side, but so was the original as far as I know.

Verdict : Good game, and very much worth the download.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#3]
Great job !

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#4]
6 years of development time? That's awesome dedication, downloading now.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#5]
This game is really awesome. The gameplay is like I remember for an old Macintosh version I used to have. As steve_ancell said, the AI is extremely similar, and tough.

The effects were really cool, especially on level change.

So far this is one of my favorite games I've downloaded from the showcase.

I did find a typo though, in controls, it says "lock" when I believe it should be "look". Other than that I really like it.

meemoe_uk(Posted 2009) [#6]
Thanks for playing steve, Rif, Sauer.
Gameplay and no-bug wise, you think it's ready to submit to the game review sites?

'Lock' is correct, have you found what it's for yet?

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#7]
No I thought I used the 'l' key to read signs?

And yeah I would submit it to review sites. Definitely ready.

meemoe_uk(Posted 2009) [#8]
>No I thought I used the 'l' key to read signs?
Oh right, that's something I ought to sort out, the 'lock' button both read signs and locks\unlocks stuff.

>Definitely ready.
Thanks. But the forums indiegamer lot expressed the opposite, and I'm not yet sure if they were just trolling me, or if I really need to change a few things.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#9]
This looks cool, reminds me of a similar Amiga game.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#10]
So I read that post you made on indiegamer, and I couldn't believe some of the replies.

Criticism is one thing, beating down a new person is another. I noticed one made a comment like "Well I've made 12 commercial games blah blah blah" which is completely irrelevant to your game and exposed him for what he was, a trolling bastard.

Oh and I thought I got stuck on the sign till I got the brilliant notion to look at the controls screen.

I would just stop even posting on that thread, clearly nothing good will come of it. Be the bigger man and stop.

But my opinion has little weight, in the grand scheme of things.

Oh and I was wondering, how do you save? I keep doing continue game and then try to continue but I don't go anywhere. I have to always start at level 1.

Barnabius(Posted 2009) [#11]
Well done but I still prefer to use the original Lode Runner on Apple II. Somehow the atmosphere is not the same unless I play the original.

Barney

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#12]
Regarding Indiegamer they are looking at how to make your game appealing to a wider audience so that more people will play it (and buy it if you plan to sell it), although I admit they are being a bit rude (but those main two are often rude to others as well).

So it all depends on what YOUR goal is for this game. If you want to get lots of people to play and enjoy it and ultimately buy it (that's my goal for my games) then their advice is actually sound in my opinion i.e. upgrade the graphics; slow it down (do you use a proper timing method? Check out this thread http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=83511 for different options); make it accessible in terms of keys and tutorial etc; fix any obvious bugs etc.

So really it's up to you depending on your own goals for the game. Or leave it alone and start a new game and bear those points in mind for the next game.

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#13]
I'd prefer it if the default controls used the arrow keys instead of the numpad. I'm on a laptop, so I spent a while after the game started wondering why I couldn't move anywhere, until I looked in the menu.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#14]
Or both.

meemoe_uk(Posted 2009) [#15]
Fixed the default keys to arrows, thanks for bringing it my attention. The pros at the indie dev forum just complained of it not working.

Arrow keys are now set to default here
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jmqznd3eajz

Hi Sauer, thanks for the moral support!
On saving the game, intially your game is saved at half the level you've completed, so to start of lev2 you've gotta complete lev4, for lev3 you gotta complete lev6. it's odd idea I'm trying out with retrorunner. Many won't like it. But I've always felt it's abit of a shame when a level gets played once and then discarded. Old games (e.g. manic miner) which make you start at lev1 every game are annoying, but they also has a certain charm. There's a rush I get when making new progress in a 'start from lev1' game than doesn't exist in the 'save game' games. Many developers understand it spoils the game somewhat to be able to save at any point, and a balance has to be struck between annoying the player too much by the loss of progress and too easy saves.
In RR the balance is tipped unusally on the side of 'big loss', but it's still alot softer than total loss.

Hi Grey, the 1st goal is optimise the gameplay. Selling is less important.
>slow it down
I'd like to see how it does fast. Such speed is a new concept to loderunner. I stick with the theory of there being a major disparity in speed of action games. There is a proven market for fast games. Therefore it's only sensible to take slow games and do a fast rehash.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#16]
Ahh ok that makes sense, I've never made it past level 2. You might want to somehow make that apparent in the game, or at least add it to your instructions file.

And I think by slow it down he means slow it down so people with faster computers don't have it running freakishly fast and unplayable, which is always a good practice.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#17]
Ive never played this game before, its pretty good, I changed 'dig' to spacebar but nothing happens when I pickup the digging device and press space

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#18]
And I think by slow it down he means slow it down so people with faster computers don't have it running freakishly fast and unplayable, which is always a good practice.
Yeah I mean both. Clearly if there is no decent timing routine and it plays freakishly fast due to Vsync being off or something, then this MUST be fixed. If that is all OK but the character is a bit too fast in-game then sure by all means try that out but also listen to your audience ;-)

meemoe_uk(Posted 2009) [#19]
Yes, RR has a timing routine. That it might not is an indie-dev-forum troll myth. They wrongly concluded several things about the game. They seemed so biased against RR I decided qualifying myself to them on each of their accusations wasn't going to change any worthy opinions. Once the boss troll had taken a dislike, others followed.

JP, only a certain type of floor can be dug, looks like you were on an undiggable floor type.

meemoe_uk(Posted 2009) [#20]
Hiya, I hear Vista is restrictive wrt to programs managing files. I didn't check with the vista guidelines, so I when I realised this, I expected some to complain of file save probs, but that hasn't happened. Lucky?
Is it ok by vista to mod files within the program's directory? RR needs to mod game files and save the current settings.

Are vista users able to create a new game file and have RR recall that game? Does RR remember your custom key controls?
Thanks

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#21]
Yeah it works properly in Vista, usually you get problems when you're modding files in the Program Files folder or the root directory... inside the game's directory I've never had a problem.