Candy World Adventure : Prelude of Lillies

Community Forums/Showcase/Candy World Adventure : Prelude of Lillies

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#1]
Xilvan Design are not just making games for money and offers now great games for free !

Having not a 2D Candy World in our gaming library, we thought that it would be nice to release a entirely 2D Candy World game for the public.

In 2008 the project were unsuccessfully started and a few graphics were made such as artworks and sprites

Wednesday, March 11 2009
The developpement of the game Candy World Adventure : The Fate of Lillians started from scratch with few graphics and great ambition...

3 days later, the version 0.2 of the game is out and offers altmost all the basic features of the game. The overall graphics and physics engine is done.

The basic actions such like walking, running and jumping are available.

In the game, Toopy got his rubber ball stolen by Doctor Picpic who is back from his exodus... He has stolen many Lillians in the whole world and try to steal Candy's friends.

Dont worry, Toopy is free in the game at the beguining and will help you in your progress...

In the demo, you must find a button to go further the way... By exploring the game enough, you'll find it. By pressing the R(Ressort) button, you will activate the springs ahead and be able to explore more of the first level I've done yet...

Gallery v0.1 primary screenshot

Gallery v0.94

Welcome to Candy World 2D !!

Inside the house

On top of the house

Toopy explain the new mission of Candy

Underwater

On a ilot

Staring at portal

Downloads for Candy World Adventure : The Fate of Lillians
Candy World's Download section

Controls:
[Arrows] Move
[Up] Enter Portal or Door
[Space] Jump/SWim
[Shift] Run
[E] Walk very slow

[H] To get a butterfly on your back (To fly)

[B] Set Toopy's Ball
[N] Throw Toopy's Ball

[Enter] Talk/Throw Freesbies or Boomrang
[M] Drop Boomrang

[F1] Menu Save & Load
[F2] Save configuration
[F3] Toogle Music

3 modes :
No Sound / No Music
Sound / No Music
Sound / Music

[F12] Take screenshot

[F] Switch Language (French/English)

If you have any advice it could be good to give me feedback... This is the first Candy World 2D game ever and I hope that everyone will like it ! Remember that this game will be free anytime.

Alex CEO of Xilvan Design

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#2]
Controls? I have figured out space to jump very high and arrow keys to move.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#3]
Ok, well, i pressed every key on the keyboard, so i guess there isn't any other controls right now. I have a few issues though.

The dog seems to bounce when he is going up hills and also when he is going down hills, which makes it difficult to jump whilst moving down or up a hills. I could understand this if he'd gladly jump over any small objects or gradients, but he doesn't. Seems to me like a bug in the code, or an easy way of getting round walking up and down 2d gradients.

The jump noises sound very similar to watching a power rangers episode. I reckon if you fixed it up a little, you could market this to children. It has that sort of feel to it. Right now the controls are a little fiddly, but good luck and keep working on it :o)

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#4]
I don't know if it's intentional, but the name "Prelude to lillies" has a very high "You will die"-vibe in English, thanks to the lilly-connotation. (traditional flower for funeral bouquets)

Perhaps not the most suitable for a childrens game?

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#5]
A platformer, neat new direction!

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2009) [#6]
xlsior: his games arent for childrens ;)

John Cage(Posted 2009) [#7]
Looking good. But I think your 3D- games are much more better.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#8]
Forgive an old man for asking, but what is the issue with lillies?

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#9]
Lillies are small animals deceaded or dreaming who lives in the animal paradise : Candy World. They are dogs, cats, birds, squirels and have all instincts and behaviour of animals...

They are more developped than usual animal in their intelligence : they can talk and resolve puzzle.

Lillies, in the game, signify a death animal and may be a genius.

I hope everybody figure how this is wanting to say.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#10]
Apologies, I was aiming the question at xlsior.

I haven't tried the game, but it looks really nice. Very good work on the graphics.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#11]
Lillies are also flowers most commonly used for funerals... so to me it sounds odd in combination with the 'prelude' part. A bit "prepare to die"

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#12]
I renamed Lillies to Lillians

I hope it sounds good :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#13]
I never got the Lilly reference, good catch.

Baystep Productions(Posted 2009) [#14]
Dude.

Stick with this.

Platformers will work a lot better for this series then the 3D brand you guys previously "produced".

Have some fun with this if you can. Study Little Big Planet (PS3) and run with it.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#15]
I'm not sure why someone creating a 2d platform game would want to study little big planet - it's not exactly typical of a 2d platformer, it's much more 3d and has lots of physics and sophisticated lighting and 2d models etc, barely even 2 dimensional at all. It even has texture mapping and shaders. I would recommend more looking at classicly 2d `flat` platform games, of which there are many to be inspired by.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#16]
Super Smash Brothers (have played), Little Big Planet (haven't played), only let you go left, right, up and down. You can't go towards or away from the camera so it's more 2D than 3D. It has 3D models but you aren't allowed to go on every axis. Fancy lighting, physics and textures don't make the game they only add to it, like adding frosting to a cake.

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#17]
Here is the official title for Candy World 2D:

Candy World Adventure : The Fate of Lillians

The Lillians are small creature living in Candy World, Earth and other planets. Candy and Toopy are Lillians and they must rescue the other animals to acheive their quest...

The game go throught more than 32 levels where lillians lives. there will have 100 Lillians throught the whole game. Up to 5 Lillians will be hidden in a level.

I hope everybody will enjoy that news !

JustLuke(Posted 2009) [#18]
Xylvan, I think it's a very good idea for you to create a 2d platformer.

The screenshots are promising and if you focus on developing solid gameplay mechanisms (variety and quality implementation) and enhancing the "feel" of the controls (the way it feels when the player controls Candy - for example, not too loose, not too floaty, not too slippery, not too heavy and unresponsive), your game might turn out pretty fun. Good luck with it!

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#19]
Come and see my new webpage dedicated to Candy World Adventure...

http://xylvan.sitesled.com/CWA/accueil2_CWA.html

A new world is builded in Candy World and is 100% done... Now theres 2 worlds to explore.

I've changed the hill bouncing method in the game, so when Candy Walks down or up a hill she dont jump like a lamb...

Version 0.6 will be released soon... A guiding Toopy, Monsters and atleast 3 worlds will be in the package...

The game is getting near of completion !

nawi(Posted 2009) [#20]
From what I can tell off the screenshots, better antialiasing for your pics would make the game look *alot* better. You should save and render your pics using semitransparent edges..

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#21]
Toopy is now your guide in the quest !

He will be aware of you and will give you precious advices.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#22]
The art's a bit lacking, I say hire an artist. So much easier when you have someone to do your art. I'm currently doing my own and my GOD it sucks. It's all fill-in stuff atm...I plan on hiring someone in a few months.

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#23]
I'm hiring an artist to help me in the making of the graphics...

He's Oncy the graphist from LOD.

He will work on tiles, sprites and will be a great help for making 2D animations !

Also we cancelled Dreams : The Rebirth to publish Candy World Tome II under Intel Partnership program. The game is good enough for a worldwide launch and maybe someone of our team will be at E3. For my own I cant be there, is too far !

Candy World Tome II offers Grass, Shadows and Analogic controller support, I intended to give dot3 effects for my game but it was too hard to implement.

Xilvan Design is offering all its game as demo by now and we hope gamers will enjoy our game enough to buy it ! Our games will appear on intel product page and cost 20.00$ US the unity.

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#24]
Hi all, I hope I waited enough for getting the more information I could.

This game got restarted in June after 2 months of delay, so we got no Candy World Adventure updates since then...

But I have a great news for you blitzers : Candy World Adventure is Back !

Now with these new features:
12 Worlds
Candy's House
Toopy's Ball
Freesbies
Boomrang
Music

Now with these new effects:
Better gravity
This feature is set on particles and the Ball... It's making the best I can for 2D games.

Particles
Every actions for bonus and themes needs particle. Some are simple and use trajectory such like fireflies, but others uses gravity such like Hearts.

Actually, I may call this game Candy World Adventure : The Fate of Lillians

Xilvan(Posted 2009) [#25]
Nowaday, several changes occured in the Candy World Adventure issue...

-Worlds got enlarged in world 3 and 5, cause those worlds were only having 100 candy bones and 10 crecents: Now they have the maximum of Bones and Crecents : 200 and 20.

-Two new ennemies : Muhh and Sharkies... I may add some more.
Muhh are a kind of monster blended with ghost, he's fully functionnal
Sharkies are a evil shark who will swim in any direction to get you, I've made it in some hour

-New pals named Nooky the Dolphin
Toopy the little dog
Maory the grey cat
Nooky the Dolphin

Actually, when you go in portals you see a wave of light. Thanks to sprite control, 2D sprites are now possible, but not in realtime.

I've added a whole temple but not complete and is basically the Owl's temple... Yeah, you will have to save a owl... Dorka the owl !

New ennemies, new worlds, new pals, new tiles that what I'm going to add in the remaining development time.

The game will be divided in three parts:
The first one will be for beguiners
The second will be for intermediare
The third one will be for advanced gamers

Those three phases of the game will be a completion of a huge mission. Players will have to freed Lillians in order to defeat the evil doctor.

Every new worlds of the second and third part of the game, which includes 24 worlds, will be more difficult...

36 worlds in all, that not alot you may say...

Dont worry, there will be alot of places to visit before a phase in the game finish... Worlds are huge !

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#26]
I'm with you Chroma,

Every time I create "art" some artist takes my work and shocks me how much better they can make it. I used to do logo designs for small businesses but I would always get a tried and true artist to "touch it up". Well worth the $

Programmers are not generally artists just by nature... artists are a breed of their own... a much needed breed ;)