ABCBasic Dutch version

Community Forums/Showcase/ABCBasic Dutch version

Warner(Posted 2009) [#1]
Okay, I realise there is a chance that this is only vaguely interesting to any Dutch speaking members of this community, but there are some of them here, right ? I've translated my scripting language, written in Java, into Dutch. So now it is BASIC, in Dutch, which looks weird.
The site is here: www.gamebuilder.nl
I've also made a few demo games. You don't need to know Dutch to play them, from left to right it is: asteroids, mario, memory, shooter and street fighter (not too good though). Click on the icon in the center of the index screen of the site. The one with the geometrical shapes. Either use mouse or cursorkeys/space to play.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#2]
I looked at the screenshot, funny :-). Dutch is my native language.

I once installed a Dutch translation file for DIV Games Studio. One thing I do know is that I don't like to program in a syntax that uses Dutch words :-).

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#3]
Back when I started studying computer science, our introduction to programming course was based around 'Robbie', a Dutch-language Pascal derivative. Absolutely atrocious -- for that age range having a Dutch command set is a ridiculous hindrance rather than a help.... Not sure how younger students would perceive it.

I realize that the goal is probably to deemphasise the syntax in favor of the concept of programming. The problem is that pretty much everyone with even a passing interest in programming will already have been exposed to programming languages with an English command set, and the Dutch translation just comes across as really contrived.
Since the language itself is not normally the problem (since pretty much everyone would already know the English translations of the commands in question) you're not really adding any help, but just adding a layer of needless complication by introducing grammatically questionable dutch into the mix. Personally I absolutely hated that Dutch pascal thing with a passion, and the entire thing was considered a big joke in school.

Having an English command set has the added benefit that it's much easier to switch to a real programming language for those students who truly are interested in programming after their introduction course.

Even now, 15 years later, I still clearly remember how utterly stupid the concept of a Dutch programming language was perceived by the students, including myself. But who knows, maybe it's different for a younger target audience... Just don't expect to be taken seriously at all by older students.

Good luck, anyway. :-?

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#4]
it seems as though most programming languages today are based on english which can be a good thing as it makes every language at least look somewhat similar and sets a 'standard' so translating useful code snippets between languages is easier. Nice work but I dont speak dutch so I can't appreciate it as fully as native dutch speakers.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#5]
it seems as though most programming languages today are based on english

And American English at that -- I remember when I first started programming in AMOS on the Amiga having to get used to using 'colour' instead of 'color'

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#6]
It would be nice to have option to change into English on your website as I dont understand in Dutch!

Warner(Posted 2009) [#7]
Yeah sorry, I know, but there is no English version available.
The program's target group is indeed very young: from about 8 to 12 year old.
When I started out developing software for this group, I had the same theory: learning the 'correct' English terms at once is better. But a majority of the students still felt uncomfortable using English, and they specifically requested a Dutch language. For me, it was easy enough to translate it, since all keywords are a const list in a separate module. And oh well, we have a Dutch version of Windows as well, so I figured: why not ? Converting the helpfiles turned out to be quite a tedious job.
The original version of this script language is English, but for now, I have no plans with it.