Latatoy Simple Race

Community Forums/Showcase/Latatoy Simple Race

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#1]
hello!, I want to present the project in which I working now..
is a racecar game, rol/arcade mode...

are already working for three months, and i think soon, i go to finish this project...

some features of the game:

skins for cars, and rgb colors for cars
you can change some parts of the cars
car setup
cars download
track editor
make a full track in less than 2 minutes
you can download items to add to your track editor.
change track colors, with, camber, heigh, make bridges.
share your track on web
tracks can be like F1, or nascar or acrobatic.
you can choose the weather..
animated boxes team..
IA, a little agressive and very hard

multiplayer option:
four player in one computer..
lan or online (to slow for now) working on that

i using ode for physics

i hope soon we can upload some videos on youtube..

any comment, critic, advice, etc, is very welcome!.

------

this is my first big project, i want to thanks this forum and the people who allways answers the all question i post...

i hope you enjoy..

homepage : www.simplerace.com.ar (not finish yet)
(copyright by latatoy srl.)
www.latatoy.com / www.latatoy.com/noflash

regards..
santiago

the main menu (3D)

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#2]
It looks very nice indeed. You have some good art skills! I like the menu screen too.

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#3]
I'm looking forward to this! For three months work you have an impressive list of features.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#4]
looking very good....how did you make the race track in?

stayne(Posted 2009) [#5]
Very nice latatoy! Great graphics and the sky is beautiful...really adds to the scene. If you need testing with a wheel I own a Logitech MOMO.

puki(Posted 2009) [#6]
Looks very nice.

jsp(Posted 2009) [#7]
This looks awesome!

stayne(Posted 2009) [#8]
How are powerslides working out for you in ODE? I used to have problems with those and gave up...probably due to my perpetual Blitz3D noobism.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#9]
Don't know what it plays like but it looks like an awesome piece of work, well done!

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#10]
thanks people...!!
it's nice to know that you are liking this game..

i'm still having some problems with the physics, when the track is not flat the car bounces, because the triangles of the track have a diferent angle one each other.. i'm working on that...

i hope soon we can put some download version in the official page, to make tests in other computers, and be able to share comments with all the community

i made a video in a rush to show how the game and the track editor work and how the car runs, I hope you like the game and all kind of comments are welcome

Stayne, I hope the video helps you to answer your doubts about ODE

now the video is uploading in youtube, as soon as I have the link, I'll post it here.

saludos!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#11]
Looks really nice actually, I like the colorful cars and your game environment looks pretty well balanced - good to see some shadows in there.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#12]
Great looking game latatoy - very impressive looking.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#13]
:) thanks, i'm realy happy with all the comments...

now the hard part, the video...

the url is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iffuQ3nuh6U

i hope you still like the game after watching the video.

regards!!!...

Haddad(Posted 2009) [#14]
now the hard part, the video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iffuQ3nuh6U

love the user interface. The track editor looks great too! Nice art. looks like fun to play. Once you get that "chattering" coming off the corners worked out, you've got a winner i'd think. I'd pay for it!

puki(Posted 2009) [#15]
I was the first to view the video.

It was most exciting.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#16]
Very cool so far, I especially like the track editor.

Why is it called Simple Race though? I wouldn't really describe the game as simple at all.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#17]
Maybe it should be "simply race"?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#18]
the user interface looks great as does the racing.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#19]
Looks good. I see what you mean in the other thread about the car bouncing its way around corners. Tried updating the track normals after you create it?

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#20]
Great stuff :)

Dabz

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#21]
in the beginning the game was very simple, for kids with 5 years old, like the slicks%slides, or iroman old game... for that reason the tittle "simple race"..

now i re-read some comments and i think the "simple race" name is like a bad name... :), i think is better search for a new name...

GfK, yes, when i've finish the trackmesh, i allways use updatenormals(mesh)

about the powerslides...
stayne, if i understood correctly, the powerslides are like the film "fast and furious, tokio version", in ode, the slides maybe could be controled by the MU of the wheels, and the torque..
I haven't work in detail the topic of the slides in my game yet.

about the car bounce, there are two links in this forum about that..
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=79489
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=83477

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#22]
It looks nice!

Really very effective nvironments.

I only have a small piece of criticism which I hope is constructive.

Regarding the sky, it may be my monitor, but in those screenshots, it looks rather overcast weather. This is all well and good of course, if that's what you're intending.

Oh yes, the name "Simple Race" may be misconstrued :)

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#23]
Hi Malice,
the sky belongs to a stormy weather, in the game you'll be available to choose the weather you want. Now there is a stormy weather, but the light and shadows are like a sunny day.

about the name... I'm gonna have to find a new one!!! I'm open to suggestions, thanks for the comment.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#24]
Powerslide = Drifting

They're also on the Mario Kart games.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#25]
new improve for the game...

i made the inside car...

now i want to make the displays lcd screen... the right must to display all kind of data, and the main screen board, only speed, and car alerts.

any advice to do that, is very welcome..

Taron(Posted 2009) [#26]
I believe once you write an LCD class and draw it into a pixmap you should be able to use it as a 3d texture, isn't that right?

I havn't played with 3d in Blitzmax, yet, but I could imagine it works something like that...?!

LCD code itself should be rather simple and there's most likely a litter of them even here on the forum...

LOOKS GREAT, by the way! I can't wait to take it for a spin...albeit hoping that you make that possible for testdrivers! ;}

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#27]
hey.. thanks taron...

my only wish, is to finish this game as soon as i can... :)

i think you are right about the lcd... but i haven't research yet...

do you know any example?

John Cage(Posted 2009) [#28]
Looks pretty cool. I think the Simple Race aint no good name for the game though:) I really like racing-type-games (escpecially rally-games), but I'm not sure about the editor.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#29]
When I first saw the coming soon banner it looked like a cartoony, remote control car, type of racing game. Looked really fun! But after seeing the video it looks like other racing games but with less features and realism. Research "Polymaniacs" for an example of competing in an established genre but adding new original looks/features to make it stand out.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#30]
hi

MGE, yes, the banner is an old image. now i'm working on some new image for the game..
the last banner i made is this :

maybe this new image is more faithful with the genre of the game i want to make...

the sense of the game, is something like rol driver game, winning points, something alike the old stunt game, and tunning cars, indycars or nfs.

people who have played the game, ask for an arcade mode, like you said, something with less realism and difficultly, and more fun...
i planned to put some objects , like jumps, traps and moving objects...
the game, with this track editor is open to play races in arcade, or simulation mode, and you can choose tracks with or without obstacles, objects, etc...
i have some difficults to fit the game in one genre

John cage, please, could you tell me more about your opinion of the track editor?
about the name, i'm still searching for a new one...

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#31]
when do you expect to release a demo? (if you plan to at all :) )
it looks really nice!

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#32]
hi jerome, thanks...

i plan release the demo and de full version at the same time...

i hope, in may of this year.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#33]
sounds good! i'll be waiting! :)

nawi(Posted 2009) [#34]
now i want to make the displays lcd screen... the right must to display all kind of data, and the main screen board, only speed, and car alerts.

any advice to do that, is very welcome..

The way I did it may not be the best, but worked for me. For example in my motorcycle game, there are 3 LCD numbers for the speed (0-299), so I made first 10 different textures for each LCD number (0..9), then loaded the textures in game. Then I made 3 different boxes, that I attached to the motorcycle (in your case the car of course). Then it is easy to change the textures in each little box to display the correct speed.

The other as suggested earlier is to draw the LCD screen itself in one texture, which might be easier for your game..

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#35]
hi nawi, i use the second option.

and i used something like you said for the car numbers.

now i refresh the lcd each 10 frames to reduce the time problem with copyrect i use...

i created the texture for lcd, with vram, and that helped a lot.

Mikel(Posted 2009) [#36]
Latatoy,

I was just checking out some screenshots in the gallery and I must say that you have done an excellent job with this project. Amazing!!

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#37]
hi mikel, thanks :)

now i'm working hard to finish the graphics arts and the track editor...

i realized this project is too big for me, now, i must finish the full first version, with the track editor.

in the future, i'm going to make smaller games...

when the game is ready, i hope it would be a great game, funny, and playable, i hope the track editor works and people make all kinds of tracks, and share them in the website for download....

i realy wish that...

thanks for the comment, and, any other critic or comment is realy very welcome.. because i need them...

here some progress screens..

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#38]
you are a very talented individual Latatoy, my daughter (she is 7 & has played PGR4 extensively on XBox360) says that the top image looks beter than PGR4... high praise indeed.

I'm impressed Latatoy, excellent work.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#39]
thanks Blitzplotter. !
it's nice to know that someone compares the game to a game like that!..
is also gratifying to know that the game likes to people...

The big test will be when people can download it
I hope that when people play it, feels the same I felt when I played the stunts, the Slicks & slides, or pitstop2 for the first time.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#40]
On the first picture...will there be Reflections such as if racing car go past the tree side of the car that reflection to car side..in realtime....

Very good all in all :)

Keep going :)

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#41]
hi hotshoot, sorry, i didn't understand that..
my english is a little poor, and google translate doesn't make any sense..
if you could make the quiestion (comment) in other terms or in a easier way for me to understand it, I will answer
thanks for the comment anyway..

mtnhome3d(Posted 2009) [#42]
he's asking will there be realtime reflections of tree and the environment.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#43]
that is correct. mtnhome3d

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#44]
ah, sorry, my English is very limited.

I am with some problems in maintaining the 60 fps that I want. for now, the reflections on the cars will be a still image. flaged like a ENVMAP.

the player car, i want to capture the surroundings envrioments with a camera, record it on a texture and apply it as a reflection, but with the lcd panel i have a greatly reducing the fps image capture.

for now, i going to use simply reflects a still image with env..
is a good effect, but the real reflection is the best to have a good render in the game.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#45]
GOOD things to keep 60 FPS as that is the most important things to keep everythings smooth as the graphics ingame is Fine and I am sure your gameplay will be very good!

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#46]
now i'm searching for a shadow system, fast and nice.
for the moment, my shadows are a static mesh with alpha..

maybe the shadows are the most important part of the graphics..
any advice, is very welcome.

new pictures of the car:

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#47]
Wow, nice car. If it plays as well as it looks it should be very good. Good luck with completing the game. :)

Maybe for the shadows, one would be enough?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#48]
Very nice...I love the lighting effect.
You doing a good job.

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#49]
"...now i'm searching for a shadow system, fast and nice..."

I love THESE shadows. There are "Latatoy Shadows". A spécial touch. What else? ;-)

JP

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#50]
lol! thanks people for you comments...

foppy, i used 3 shadows mesh, to have a smoothness without using textures with opacity, i have some problems with the transparency textures.

maybe you are right about shadows ZJP.
my brain is... is about to blow up...

i finished the default car... the skin, is completely editable
the car uses 1, 2 or 3 textures.
1 can be for color, other for texts and draws, and other for reflect,
the color tone can be changed too, so if you want, you can change the color gamma of the all chassis car.

in the simplerace forum i posted a blank skin, any one can download it and create your own skin, in the future, i'm going to make a 3dcar 360 to see in realtime the texture result..
link for skins http://www.simplerace.com.ar/home.html
in forum ---> simplerace ---> CARS & SKINS
if you make your skin, please, login in the forum and post it there.

any comment, advice or whatever, is realy realy welcome...

Knight #51(Posted 2009) [#51]
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH.........SSSSSHHHHHHHIIIIIINNNNNNNYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#52]
lollll :)

thanks Gizy's Back!!!

you made my day :)

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#53]
wow, latatoy, that's all i have to say..this is really, truly, a work of art. great job!

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#54]
now i'm trying to improve the track graphics

screen shoot from the track editor...

i'm going to put some conctret fences and wires
and another extra objects to finish this track editor...

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#55]
WOW Latatoy, I picked up a Gran Turismo 4 development book for a quid a while back.... your nivel 76 image would not have been out of place within that book and that was by a substantial team of developers!

Your GUI looks very interactive friendly and looks like you've spent some considerable time on it.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#56]
hi Blitzplotter

If I understood well, you wrote a book about these things? :)
my english is poor ..

i working to much in this project, i desing 5 menus like this.. this is the best for this game, but i have other stranges menus for other games i want to make..

i'm very bad with 2d things, for that, i allways try to work in 3D.

all this work, I'm designing, makings 3d graphic and programning alone, I hope to revolutionize things, I want this game has everything the other games did not have, and always wanted to see

perhaps the development teams of large companies are trying to impress more with graphics, rather than q can give you the feeling to play the game, I do not know.

I hope to be doing something to be remembered in some way, thank you your comment, and I would like to know more, or understand it well. :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#57]
Latatoy, when I mentioned the book it was about one I bought from a shop, I have not achieved the goal of writing a book yet, its one of my to do's.

The image at the top of the recovery helicopter looks interesting, giving your game more depth from just one screenshot.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#58]
:), now you can change the skin of the main menu, is like change the background, but is 3d, in this case, ther is no theme background, Dark black theme... :)

i made new icons...

for the moment, i working to work in multiplayer mode...

regards, and i hope you like the screen....

nawi(Posted 2009) [#59]
Latatoy, if you wan't a proper racing game, check out Live for speed. It's made buy 3 independent guys I think, and it's one of the most realistic racing games out there. The graphics are okay, but no the main goal of the game.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#60]
hi nawi, i search for the LFS, is realy realy a big nice game, very nice...

i'm very happy with my simple race game, but i see, i'm to far to reach a good game like that or others good games...

i see the credits, and some videos of the LFS, is amazing...

someone know what tecnology they use to write the game?.
if they use dx or open gl?..

the screenshot of the LFS are fabulous

thanks for the data, I did not know that game

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#61]
Looks great.

A small crit if you dont mind. The photo type billboard trees look out of place in the track shot in my opinion.

I think you should either get everything textured with photo realistic textures, or replace those trees with more colorful game like trees to match the track borders and other scenery.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#62]
hi Riraf.. and thanks...

you are right about that, i'm trying to improve the tracks and scenary details, it has been very hard for me :)

the track mesh i have, in the borders, is a big problem for the moment..

i apreciate you critic, is very helpfull for me...

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#63]
i had to restart from zero all the game... becouse the game run to slow because i didn't write the program in the right way.

so, new program, new graphics... this is the result of the new graphics.. and game...

now i can have 36 autos in good fps number...
i use a new track sistem...
and replace all old textures...
the sound is change too..

i am compiling the demo right now, so, soon the demo will be available for download...

thanks to all for the comments..

i post some image, the first, is the same of blitz gallery..

screenshot in the race...

little screenshot of the new menu..

in the demo, only 2 options are availables.. single race, and multiplayer screen split mode.

regards!..

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#64]
Hats off to you for having the resolve to redo it all, the new shots look fantastic.

Are you making it with multiplayer in mind this time around ?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#65]
It look like Rage racer :) I have take hats off for your working hard for your first big game! welldone

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#66]
hi RiRaf

i don't have other option, the old game version, only runs in a super computer..

i prepare the program, for multriplayer mode...
i use a free net library, i make some test, with two computers, the conection and data transfer is ok, but i have some ode problems...

this demo version, don't have multiplayer lan mode, but this is a demo version BETA, is to know if the game runs in all diferent systems withot problems, and the people can try the game too.

puki(Posted 2009) [#67]
I have a super computer (well better than most) - send the code and media to me and I will compile it for you.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#68]
I think it looks great, but all that blurring ruins it.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#69]
yeap, is like when you see a frame of a movie picture... a picture capture the blur, but in the game, the eye can't see that blur.

thanks puki for the ofert :p

Ked(Posted 2009) [#70]
I think the blur looks good.

puki(Posted 2009) [#71]
Where's the demo? I haven't found it yet.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#72]
I think the blur looks appropriate, considering - as you say - that it's somewhat out of context as a still screenshot. I'm looking forward to seeing the demo. The last version was very impressive, especially considering this is your first game(I think?) but the rebuilt version looks even better.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#73]
is like when you see a frame of a movie picture... a picture capture the blur
Well, a movie runs at 24fps (or 30fps for NTSC). An effective shutter speed of 4/100th of a second is quite a long time. That's why you get blur.

I really don't think a 60fps game needs that.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#74]
reference the corner wobble, have you tried increasing the number of vertices on corners to see if that helps?

puki(Posted 2009) [#75]
i am compiling the demo right now

That was 3 hours ago - maybe he has posted it somewhere on his site?

God, I hope he hasn't stiffed on us.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#76]
thanks..

yes, is my first game, i made other test with blitz, but i only have one year with blitz... for that reason, the others never reach the level of "game".

what is wobble?, sorry, i have a bad english, google translator don't tellme nothing about that word.. :(
about the mesh details, and corners, i am testing the game right now, when the game demo will test in others computers, i go to redraw new tracks and cars, using the testing people data.

i working to finish the demo relase, i am compiling now, fixing errors, etc...and i need to make the installer, and encript some files...
has soon i finish the demo version to relase, i go to make a new post...

puki(Posted 2009) [#77]
Wobble is like a jelly wobbles (shakes).

No need to encrypt - might break something.

puki(Posted 2009) [#78]

Any news?

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#79]
Puki your bizzare!

Awesome looking game latatoy!
Very proffesional!

Can't wait for the demo :)

WERDNA

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#80]
this looks so cool! i cant wait for the demo!

beanage(Posted 2009) [#81]
This is great. Nice Graphics, simple gameplay, looks cool, cant wait for playing a demo..

What i like most? The Editor.. really creative and simple conception!!

P.S.: @puki always funny to read your posts^^

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2009) [#82]
puki says it is serious.

by the way, nice screens, Latatoy. Time is important for making a good game. I can wait.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#83]
thanks....

every time i going to finish this demo, i note there is to many thing to do.. maibe is becouse is the first time i doing this...

i have now the installer, and some files protected...

but i adding some debug files, one of malice function, to check where the program fails, i hope no. and another things...

Gregor(Posted 2009) [#84]
Hi Latatoy, the demo gives a 'memory violation' on my computer.

Nontheless, you've made a great game! A lot of people would dream that they could make what you did! So I'm really impressed what you made!!!

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#85]
thanks!.

i want to fix that MAV, but i don't know how...

maibe with heavy graphics, the program crash...

i hope to know someday how fix that. and make a game witouht that problem...

i hate Memory Acces Violation