Retro shooting: Star Opus I (demo)

Community Forums/Showcase/Retro shooting: Star Opus I (demo)

John Cage(Posted 2009) [#1]
Check out the new 'Star Opus I' demo. Includes now 10 playable jump points & many fixes and improvements.

Download demo

Regards,

-jc

MGE(Posted 2009) [#2]
Awesome presentation, awesome environment. But...for me personally, it was boring. I couldn't play past a few minutes due to non excitement. Other players may appreciate the slow pace, but I always like my retro shooters action packed from the get go. ;)

John Cage(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thanks for comments. I'll try to srcipt the jumppoints as different and intuitive as I can. Currently the is no FX either.

The first 5 jumppoints are some kinda of tutorials. Tried the Rastaban? Its funny, some people think it's too extreme and others think it's boring:)

Nike(Posted 2009) [#4]
wow!!! great game, get boring after a while but still!!! wow!!! And you call this the demo?!?!?!?!?! how long did it take? and cool how theres no pic's and only like 10 mb download! all i can say is wow and cool and GREAT job! :)

MGE(Posted 2009) [#5]
I'd like to reinforce that this project's overall quality is about as good as it gets. Fine tune this puppy, you might be on to something very much worth while here. ;)

plash(Posted 2009) [#6]
I was pretty bored aswell.. mainly because of the bouncing, making it very hard to really shoot anything.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#7]
I saw some site that when it reviewed games it has a "minutes to action" stat that tells you how long you have to play before some action starts. It was pretty informative and worth bearing in mind. I'd love to see a similar thing for kung fu movie reviews.

John Cage(Posted 2009) [#8]
This is my first bm game so it took about year & a half to make it. I'm becoming to like bm more & more.

The jumppoint scenes are now fully scriptable. So this is actually a Star Opus scripting- engine demo, including 10 scripts. The rest jumppoints are empty. I'm also considering to make a scene editor.

- jc

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#9]
Very nice looking and well presented.

I'm similar to others in that I got a bit bored quite quickly. I also think the thrust is a bit too powerful which makes it difficult to move around with any degree of precision. I just kept bouncing into everything :(

John Cage(Posted 2009) [#10]
>I was pretty bored aswell.. mainly because of the bouncing, making
>it very hard to really shoot anything.

You have to learn to use the thrust:) This kind of Omega Race ship behaviour is one of the basic ideas of this game.

John Cage(Posted 2009) [#11]
There is a new demo for those who like to use the mouse. This version uses a mouse-based crosshair.

http://www.emsproject.com/staropus.zip

- jc

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2009) [#12]
Why do you feel this game is "retro"? It s a 10 MB game running in high res with real time raster manipulation of *many* objects at once.

This has potential however.

I feel you need to increase the control by adding friction. This is the primary reason that Mine Sweeper is better than Asteroids in my opinion. Also loose the health bar the health bar is just an excuse to mask poor maneuverability. It seems you have put a lot of time into this and I think the finished product will be good. I'd just think that currently the player has to fight the ship's control too much.

John Cage(Posted 2009) [#13]
> loose the health bar the health bar is just an excuse to mask
>poor maneuverability.

I disagree:) I don't like one-touch-try-again-type games.

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#14]
Great game and not boring for me. I used key controls, in my opinion mouse aiming doesn't go well with such games. I like the cross between action and tactical gameplay. The difficulty in controlling the ship is also fine, it's what makes the game, but perhaps you could add an "easy" mode as an option.

Imphenzia(Posted 2009) [#15]
Downloaded and tried it and here is what I think:

Pros:
* Visually very pleasing (I like the space atmosphere you have achieved and also the illuminated objects which I think of as enhanced retro feel)
* Single exe-file and no installer = superb
* Good to display keys when game is launching, makes it very simple

Cons:
* No sound effects - check out my free sound effects in my signature, there are both explosions and laser sounds there you may find use of :-)
* Windows key crashed the game (although I am stupid for accidentally pressing it :)
* I didn't realize that a round started as it looked very similar to menu and loading screen. I'd suggest making it clear with some sort of "get ready" --> "go" type of thing.
* Mouse control in menu would be nice

Over all I think it's got good potential. Nice with the weapon upgrades as well.

Best of luck with your game.

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#16]
Very refined visually.

I have to agree with the others about the gameplay though...something is just missing. The game seems to have huge capability though. Good luck.

John Cage(Posted 2009) [#17]
>...something is just missing

I agree. This is just Star Opus scriptin' demo - actually the whole game is missing at this time:)

The next step is to make some seriuos scenes, add FX, music and nice intro. And add new elements to the galaxy (suns, black holes etc.)

- jc