Barrel Drop

Community Forums/Showcase/Barrel Drop

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#1]
Just a quick one today as I didn't have much time. It's a variation of sorts on the goo games/demos. I'd describe it as the digital equivalent of Ker-Plunk. As always it's BlitzMax and using my PhysLite module. C+C welcomed.

Click for screenshot

Download Barrel Drop (457KB)

Barrel Drop is a turn based physics game for two players.

How to play
The object of the game is try and let as few barrels as possible fall into the fire. Players take it in turns to remove gooey blobs from the game area. After a player removes a blob if any barrels fall into the fire then his opponent is awarded a point for each. The winner is the player with the most points when no more barrels or blobs are left. The current players turn is shown at the top of the screen along with the current scores.

Tips on playing
You get all your points before you remove a blob each turn. Take your time and allow all the barrels to settle before taking your next blob.

Enjoy!

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#2]
even more fun than the others... :)

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#3]
u need to stop making these mini games, they're so addicting!!! :D

jk jk, they're awesome!

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#4]
pretty good man, the barrels are supposed to be going through the black lines roight?

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#5]
Cool really liking the demos, as soon as i get paid ill have to buy Physlite i loved playing with jv-ode when used blitz3d, i tink i could have just as much fun with this.

One question how would you go about making a destuctable landscape for a worms style game? im sure you could do it but have you thought about it?

Pete

MGE(Posted 2009) [#6]
Are you going to make the source available to these if you buy physlite?

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#7]
thats what he has said in other posts. the only thing hes keeping the source for is the editors and thats because there in beta at the moment which is fair enough.

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#8]
Jeremy Paxman - Yeeeeeeeees wrote:
pretty good man, the barrels are supposed to be going through the black lines roight?
They're supposed to be green goo strands, but yes the barrels are meant to pass through them. Only the gooey blobs should stop the barrels.

Pete Carter wrote:
thats what he has said in other posts. the only thing hes keeping the source for is the editors and thats because there in beta at the moment which is fair enough.
That pretty much sums up the situation. There's no benefit to me keeping the code to these small demos in house, and plenty of benefits to opening them up to the PhysLite community. The editors however are massive beasts and still need plenty of work on them, but I'll still release the source to the PhysLite community as soon as it's ready for public scrutiny.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#9]
One question how would you go about making a destuctable landscape for a worms style game? im sure you could do it, but have you thought about it?

Sorry to bump my question but I really would like to know if theres some way of doing it, although looking at the demos that have been done so far it doesn't look like it could. unless you make the landscape out of a mesh of mass's like on the barrel drop demo, only with the gaps smaller?

Pete

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#10]
Pete Carter wrote:
One question how would you go about making a destuctable landscape for a worms style game? im sure you could do it, but have you thought about it?
Oops, I missed this first time around. Whist there is no in-built functionality for this it is entirely possible. All static collision zones are made from a polygon array. A simple boolean polygon subtraction is all that is needed to give deformable terrain. I may have a go at this myself at some point.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#11]
..im usually not in to 2D games but i like this and i like this nice physics lib..im going to buy it ;)

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#12]
A simple boolean polygon subtraction is all that is needed to give deformable terrain.

so if you have a shape, say a circle theres some way of subtracting that shape out of the static shape (landscape). Ill will have look around the forums on how to do this, as at the moment i wouldnt know where to start. but sound very interesting.

thanks oddball