Crosshair

Community Forums/Showcase/Crosshair

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#1]
I'm back again. I will not rest until every game on the first page of the showcase is one of mine. I've done a little shooter today. It only has three enemy types as I ran out of time for today. As always it's BlitzMax and using my PhysLite module. C+C welcomed.

Click for screenshot

Download Crosshair (232KB)

Crosshair is a basic Robotron clone made in one day. With such a short development time the balancing may be a little off, so it may be too easy or too hard. Avoid everything that is orange, including the walls, and shoot anything that moves. Enjoy!

Xbox360/joypad controls (Recommended)
Start game: Button 'A' or '1'
Move: Left stick
Shoot: Right stick
Bomb: Button 'A', '1', '9' or right trigger

Keys/mouse controls
Start game: Left mouse button
Move: Keys 'w', 'a', 's' and 'd'
shoot: Left mouse button
Bomb: Right mouse button

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
Nice one. Nice and speedy on both drivers this time.

It was probably the physics settings on the last few that made it seem so slow.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#3]
good job on this one too... wow it takes me forever to think of a game and how its gunna work.. and it takes even longer to program one. I dont see how you do it.

boomboom(Posted 2009) [#4]
What are you using for graphics? Just streight images draws or are you using a sprite engine?

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#5]
Plash wrote:
Nice one. Nice and speedy on both drivers this time.

It was probably the physics settings on the last few that made it seem so slow.
The Lunar Buggy game should move quite fast, and does on my low spec. machine. It may be because I used a lot of primative drawing in that one, whereas this one is all images.

Nate the Great wrote:
good job on this one too... wow it takes me forever to think of a game and how its gunna work.. and it takes even longer to program one. I dont see how you do it.
I generally skip the think of an idea stage. I just sit down and start coding. I've always done it that way. I see it kind of like an artist sketching, you don't get a finished piece, but the experience is invaluable, and you can always go back to one of your 'sketches' and make the finished artical later. Consider these my coding sketchbook. 'Oddball's coding sketchbook', I like that.

boomboom wrote:
What are you using for graphics? Just streight images draws or are you using a sprite engine?
PhysLite has a very powerful rigging system complete with full screen scale, scroll, and rotation. Most of the drawing can be handle by PhysLite or combined with direct drawing. In this demo it's all PhysLite I just alter the PhysicsDrawZoom for the different resolutions and all the rest of the code stays the same. I could probably extract the rigging system and make a dedicated sprite system with it, but for now it's PhysLite only.

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#6]
Are we going to get the source to these little games in the next Physlite release then? it would be really cool to see how you are doing this stuff...

Cheers
Charlie

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#7]
this demo kicks butt like the other ones,

MGE(Posted 2009) [#8]
I've played all of your demos (very cool!!) , but how taxing is the physlite ai? I would think these demos would run at refresh rate on my monitor but they run choppy. It's VERY playable still, but obviously not running at vsync speed.

dmaz(Posted 2009) [#9]
nice, but I think the walls should be safe to hit.

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#10]
jkrankie wrote:
Are we going to get the source to these little games in the next Physlite release then? it would be really cool to see how you are doing this stuff...
This is partly the reason why I'm doing these demos. They allow me to test out the engine and serve as example code for those who are interested. Version 1.12 of PhysLite is already in the works and these demos have helped shape what has gone into it. I've also ferreted out a few bugs in the editors by putting them thoroughly through their paces.

dmaz wrote:
nice, but I think the walls should be safe to hit
Maybe, but I think it adds an extra dimension to the game. With deadly walls you can't just make a speedy escape by whizzing across the screen. You have to give yourself time to stop. But you may be right. I didn't have much time to work on game balance, so a lot would probably change if it were to be completed.

plash(Posted 2009) [#11]
Or maybe walls should make you bounce off/slow you down.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#12]
wow! i love how chaotic it gets about 30 seconds into it! great job! :D