Saucer Attack finished

Community Forums/Showcase/Saucer Attack finished

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#1]
I have put a few finishing touches to my game Saucer Attack, made in BlitzMax.

It can be downloaded here: saucerattack.zip (1.1 MB, for Windows)

Sounds were created using DrPetter's SFXR.

The aim of the game is to shoot the enemy flying saucers. They will also fire at you but only when they are colored red (at which point they'll start rotating their guns towards you). After a while they will turn green again. There are two bonus objects that may drop from destroyed enemies: a health bonus and a fast fire bonus. Collisions between saucers are not dangerous (a well known fact), only the bullets will hurt you.

Controls are: arrow keys, space (or Z), and Escape to quit.

Thanks for having a look!

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#2]
Works fine and looks fine, but it's really hard to avoid enemy shots, especially as firing for a long period of time tends to get you stuck in one of the corners.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#3]
I like the pink sky.

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#4]
Thanks. Yes I tried to use bright colors. ;)

Warpy, the idea is to accelerate a little bit to counter the movement generated by the shooting. It can be the case that I made the game a bit too difficult, playing it over and over again myself during development.

It's only a small game, but programming in BlitzMax is a lot of fun. Now I will start writing my larger game.

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#5]
You can accelerate?!

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#6]
very fun and cool looking!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#7]
I downloaded this because of the sfxr reference! The look and feel is really cool, but like Warpy I found it too hard to avoid shots.