F360 Challenge

Community Forums/Showcase/F360 Challenge

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#1]
Here's another little something I've put together. It's a straight up driving demo. No gimmicks. The car is based on a Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale, though the stats may be a bit off. It's designed to be controlled using an Xbox360 controller, if you have one hooked up, but an ordinary joypad or keys also work. As always it's BlitzMax and using my PhysLite module. C+C welcomed. And I'll be back with another helping tomorrow.

Click for screenshot

Download F360 Challenge (2.36MB)

There's no game element yet Just drive around the track. Stay off the grass as it's been raining and it's very skiddy. An Xbox360 controller is the best option for controls as it gives the best all-round analogue controls, but a standard joypad or keys will do. Enjoy!

Toggle info: 'F1'
Toggle view: 'Enter'
Quit: 'Escape'

Controls: Xbox360 pad (Recommended)
Accelerate: Right trigger
Brake: Left trigger
Steer: Left analogue stick
Hand brake: 'X' button

Controls: Keys
Accelerate: Up arrow
Brake: Down arrow
Steer: Left/right arrow
Hand brake: 'Spacebar'

Controls: Joypad
Accelerate: Button 1
Brake: Button 2
Steer: Left analogue stick
Hand brake: Button 3

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#2]
ok wow... um what to say... you have just programmed 4 or 5 games in the past few days and they are all amazing but maybe it would be a good idea to build up a big pack of these fun little games and make them all on one post.. dont get me wrong I love these games its just that I think it would be better if you packed them all in one download each week. you dont have to listen to me if you dont want to.. its just a suggestion :)

sorry ur link is corrupt :( it looks good tho

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#3]
I think it's cool you are posting so many games, keep going! :-)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#4]
Looks and sounds cool, but like Nate says, the archive appears to be corrupt. (I downloaded twice.)

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#5]
Nate the Great wrote:
sorry ur link is corrupt :( it looks good tho

BlitzSupport wrote:
Looks and sounds cool, but like Nate says, the archive appears to be corrupt. (I downloaded twice.)
This is a bit odd. I've just tested it a bunch of times and it seems that sometimes it doesn't download completely. Sometimes the download is 1KB smaller causing the zip to be corrupt. I can't imagine what could cause it to happen only some of the time, but I've re-uploaded the file to see if that helps.

Nate the Great wrote:
I think it would be better if you packed them all in one download each week.

Grey Alien wrote:
I think it's cool you are posting so many games, keep going! :-)
Hmm. two conflicting views on whether or not I should keep posting daily games. I think a few more should be ok, but I'll run out of steam eventually anyway. When that happens I'll look back over what I've got and concentrate my efforts on one idea.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#6]
Oddball. I had this problem with a file i attached in an email. I narrowed it down to the application i was using to .RAR it. Although that theory went down the pan when i used another RAR application. I seemed to be in the process of uploading it as an attachment then downloading the attachment again.

Never did really find out what was happening. Ended up having to attach 16 files individually.

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#7]
I feel like people think that the showcases are only for commercial projects that require large amounts of time to complete.

Personally I like to see smaller games in the showcase. Its just a place to show what you've been doing with Blitz, and in Oddball's case, he's really proving how versitile physlite is.

I say keep going, forge the way for smaller games so no one feels 'scared' to show what they've done.

Cool stuff by the way, I really like your work with your modules.

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#8]
I am a firm believer in the showcase being a place for small games. It's not like anyone ever gets lost in all the forum activity, anyway.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#9]
I agree, I'd love to have the time to post some mini games myself too (working in it...)

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#10]
Oddball, the demo is really cool.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#11]
Yep, keep posting these little games.

Oddball, are you going to give the source of these little games with PhysLite as samples?

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#12]
the download worked for me, but the resolution was too high, could you include a 800x 600 version please?

plash(Posted 2009) [#13]
Seems reallly slow to me, is it on the DirectX driver?

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#14]
wow thats pretty fun. It does feel like its in slow motion though as plash said... I really like how you can spin out though.. it looks and feels very realistic

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#15]
TaskMaster wrote:
Oddball, are you going to give the source of these little games with PhysLite as samples?
Yes. Most, if not all, will be included in the next update. They use all aspects of the physlite module so people can see all kinds of bits at work.

Jeremy Paxman - Yeeeeeeeees wrote:
the download worked for me, but the resolution was too high, could you include a 800x 600 version please?

Plash wrote:
Seems reallly slow to me, is it on the DirectX driver?

Nate the Great wrote:
wow thats pretty fun. It does feel like its in slow motion though as plash said... I really like how you can spin out though.. it looks and feels very realistic
I've uploaded a new version so you can now select the resolution and driver of your choice.

plash(Posted 2009) [#16]
60mph doesn't feel like 60mph!

On that note.. the driver switch did not improve the speed (although OpenGL is usually faster than DirectX on my card).

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#17]
thanks it was fast enough,

the car turns too well at 120MPH but im sure that can be adjusted later

Mortiis(Posted 2009) [#18]
I almost thought I was playing GTA2. Great work!

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#19]
Mortiis wrote:
I almost thought I was playing GTA2. Great work!
Ahh. So you found the hidden hot coffee mod then. ;p