Lunar Buggy

Community Forums/Showcase/Lunar Buggy

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#1]
I'm here again with another prototype/demo/thing. I couldn't decide whether to make a lunar lander or a lunar buggy game, so I just combined the two. You can drive around like a buggy then at anytime switch to a lunar lander control method. It's designed to be controlled using an Xbox360 controller, if you have one hooked up, but an ordinary joypad or keys also work. As always it BlitzMax using PhysLite. C+C welcomed. Enjoy!

Click for screenshot

Download Lunar Buggy (191KB)

Controls
Move/spin left/right: Left/right arrow or left stick*
Thruster: Up arrow, 1/'A' button or right trigger*
Reset game: 'R' key
Exit game: 'Esc' key

*Recommended controls

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#2]
Wow, do you just have these short fun games just lying around? They're cool, I think you should like, make one big pack of mini-games or something heh.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#3]
Coolness! Your portfolio of games expands every day! I used love a moonbuggy game years ago on the BBC.

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#4]
GIA_Green_Fire wrote:
Wow, do you just have these short fun games just lying around? They're cool, I think you should like, make one big pack of mini-games or something heh.
Not exactly. They are all coded on the day. I have some code lying around as I'm sure everyone here does, but for the most part they are all done on the day. Lunar Buggy, for example, was just over an hour messing around with ideas. Another hour and a half to hone the finalized concept. Then half an hour to do the artwork. About three and a half hours work all told.

Grey Alien wrote:
Coolness! Your portfolio of games expands every day! I used love a moonbuggy game years ago on the BBC.
I was more of a Lunar Lander person myself. I'm sure everyone will get bored of me spamming the forums with my tripe sooner or later, but for now I'm just enjoying being able to get some coding done. I find it relaxing.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#5]
I really liked this one (playing with the X360 pad). It's simple combinations like this that can lead to really cool games as well... I don't recall seeing such a vehicle before in a game, even though it seems "obvious".

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#6]
could I have a 800x600 version please?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2009) [#7]
Great GFX :)

You should try the glowing lines rubbish I made about 4 years back.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#8]
its pretty easy to use images in his mod I think

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#9]
Woah that pic looks totally different from what I saw...

GfK(Posted 2009) [#10]
That looks almost certainly like OpenGL with out of date ATI/Intel drivers.

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#11]
BlitzSupport wrote:
I really liked this one (playing with the X360 pad). It's simple combinations like this that can lead to really cool games as well... I don't recall seeing such a vehicle before in a game, even though it seems "obvious".
I've seen games with lander and buggy sections, but never combined in the same vehicle. This came about completely by accident. I couldn't decide whether to have buggy or lander conrtols. I put both in to see which I prefered, and it just seemed to fit so I kept going with it.

Jeremy Paxman - Yeeeeeeeees wrote:
could I have a 800x600 version please?
I've uploaded a version with a multi-resolution. The graphics were designed for a 1024x768 display so they may not look quite right at lower res.

Indiepath wrote:
Great GFX :)

GfK wrote:
That looks almost certainly like OpenGL with out of date ATI/Intel drivers
Thanks for the heads up. I've uploaded a version with driver selection. Hopefully that'll sort the issue. That's problem with these one day games, no quality assurance. :)

plash(Posted 2009) [#12]
Both drivers on this minigame are either very laggy, or both have very slow velocities.

Can you upload a version that shows fps?
How fast are things actually going?

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#13]
thanks for the new version its great