GPU Terrain

Community Forums/Showcase/GPU Terrain

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#1]
This is kind of interesting. I am not sure how useful it is, but the fact that you can display such huge areas with no memory usage gives me pause:
http://leadwerks.blogspot.com/2009/02/i-had-choice-today-between-playing-doom.html

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#2]
you could define terrain in blocks....

like instead of recording every vertex you could record every 10 vertices, the terrain would be blockier though,
then you could come up with a smoothing algorithm to make each block smoothly transition with the next

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#3]
I am thinking about maybe using a low-res unique heightmap and then a high-res repeating texture for smaller detail.

Sung(Posted 2009) [#4]
Hi Josh,

this idea is great and usefull. Please complete it!

taumel(Posted 2009) [#5]
Well, procedural terrain engines have been there since the C64, Amiga (fits into a track :O), ...

If it's reasonable depends on your game design. For a more abstract design you're mostly free to go. For content which needs a specific look and a certain definition it comes down to a) how flexible is the routine to make changes you want, say i want a mountainline here and a base camp there, the path leading from the camp to the mountains is here, b) how easy can an artist access/alter this data for instance for texturing, placing objects, working together with physics and so on and c) how well does the technology scale on different performing cards.