Trebuchet

Community Forums/Showcase/Trebuchet

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#1]
I'm back again. Not a clone this time. Just something I was messing about with today. I call it Trebuchet. Again it's written in BlitzMax using my PhysLite module. It took me a couple of hours start to finish, but it was mainly a cut and paste job from older code. C+C welcomed. Enjoy!

Click for screenshot

Download Trebuchet (265KB)

To start the trebuchet swinging press the 'Start' button. Press it again to release the projectile. Press it a third time to reload the trebuchet. It's as simple as that. have fun.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#2]
wow, i dont really get the point of it but you definitely got the addicting factor :)

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#3]
Can it go any faster? Physics which feels like it's in slow motion is one of my pet peeves.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#4]
The trebuchet is slow but its supposed to be i spose the rest of the simulation seems ok to me, maybe its personal taste.

Good job, on the demo oddball
could you make a destructible castle?

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#5]
Awesome, if you strategically keep pressing enter before it launches, the oozes will keep building up and get heavier and stronger... and if you do it right, BIGGER. It'd be great if this had some challenge levels to it.

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#6]
Jerome Squalor wrote:
wow, i dont really get the point of it but you definitely got the addicting factor :)
Yep no point at all. I was just playing about with code. I usually just start with a blank page and start throwing in ideas quickly. Anything I like stays anything I don't falls by the wayside. I'm trying to do a pototype a day to help get my creative juices flowing, though I've taken a break this weekend to spend some time with my fiancee.

Warpy wrote:
Can it go any faster? Physics which feels like it's in slow motion is one of my pet peeves.
Yes that'd be easy. Just increasing the counter weight or gravity would make the project whizz off at high speed. The problem is the window of release would be so short you wouldn't be able to get much veriaty into the trajectory. So it's more a design choice to have everything at a chilled out pace.

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#7]
"...could you make a destructible castle?..."

+1. THE goal of this game. ;-)

JP

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#8]
these daily releases are fun.. you should keep it up and soon you will have a huge variety of physlite examples andor minigames :)

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#9]
Jeremy Paxman - Yeeeeeeeees wrote:
could you make a destructible castle?

ZJP wrote:
+1. THE goal of this game. ;-)
I was actually thinking something along these lines, not really for this game, but for something a little similar. We'll see how I'm feeling later in the week.

Nate the Great wrote:
these daily releases are fun.. you should keep it up and soon you will have a huge variety of physlite examples andor minigames :)
That's the plan. I'm putting PhysLite through it's paces in practical situations. These minigames have already highlighted one or two things, and I've managed to added a few new functions along the way. Also as a bonus PhysLite owners can expect the source to all these examples in the next update.