Dead Wake, shot from the upcoming version..

Community Forums/Showcase/Dead Wake, shot from the upcoming version..

gameproducer(Posted 2009) [#1]
http://www.deadwakegame.com

this pic is from the upcoming v0.8 version

using Leadwerks engine

Matty(Posted 2009) [#2]
Far too dark for me to see anything in that screenshot. All I can see are some boxes/crates and what may look like a house? Cannot make out the character at all.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#3]
I could barely make out the crates, nothing else.

The house is completely invisible on my monitor, I had to copy the image in photoshop and crank up the brightness before I could make heads or tails out of the picture.

Not bad, but WAY too dark.

gameproducer(Posted 2009) [#4]
Thanks guys... Will give you possibility to adjust the brightness (darn, that indeed is tricky one since the main point is to have 'dark athmosphere' ;))

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#5]
Looks fine here on my Mac, which has its monitor set up correctly ;-)

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#6]
Looks fine here on my Mac, which has its monitor set up correctly ;-)

My monitor is calibrated slightly on the dark side because otherwise the whites give me a headache... But this is rarely an issue with any game.

In the above screenshot I see:

- 5 crates in the center/right
- 7 crates on the left
- an undecypherable shape in the center
- a vague shape in the upper left that looks like it might be another crate.

It isn't until cranking up the brightness in photoshop, that I see that there are actually over 40 crates and two whopping big barns that take up the top 1/3 of the screen.

gameproducer(Posted 2009) [#7]
Okay, thanks guys... I'm adjusting the brightness (and making sure people can adjust it).

Here's 5 pics, could you tell which of them are TOO DARK (as in "you can see close to nothing, or just few things and couldn't possibly think of playing the game if it was that dark")

Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture #3

Picture #4

Picture #5

Matty(Posted 2009) [#8]
Picture 1 is probably at amount my limit - and picture 2 is fine, the others are very bright, a little washed out.

A futher suggestion with picture 1 - perhaps brighten the player model - even if the rest of the game is dark it is good to be able to see who you are controlling, and get some idea of what he/she/it looks like.

There's something not quite right with the shading / lighting though - the houses are uniformly lit making it look like there is only ambient lighting available.

grindalf(Posted 2009) [#9]
the original shot was fine for me. the other 5 shots looked like they was taken on a sunny summers day(which was strange as it says, survive the night?)

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#10]
Looks ok i guess. There's not really much on show tbh, so i can't comment at all. Just a few boxes and a couple of houses.

jayparker(Posted 2009) [#11]
the original shot was fine for me. the other 5 shots looked like they was taken on a sunny summers day(which was strange as it says, survive the night?)

Same here...

gameproducer(Posted 2009) [#12]
Ok. Thanks guys.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#13]
Isn't the leadwerks engine capable of doing anything other than crates and shadows?

Anyway, it all looks very basic and uninspiring. Don't know what else to say.

Picklesworth(Posted 2009) [#14]
The new screenshots look too bright :P

There are ways to achieve dark looking scenes without actually losing details, generally via heavy blues, big / fuzzy shadows and tricky lighting. (Can't quite put my finger on what kind of lighting... where's our local lighting expert?)

One trick with a night scene is having lots of light cast from the ground instead of the sky.
Maybe if you went with that first screenshot, with LESS ambient light but gave the buildings a lot of lamps and open windows with light shining out, the result would be better.

For a night scene, people don't really expect "very dark", but certain key details like lights in buildings, torches, etc.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#15]
the third or fourth pics look good,

GIZ SOME ZOMBIE PICTURES!

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#16]
The original image is fine :-)

I noticed that F.E.A.R 2 uses a config screen before you play to select the best dark/contrast visuals for your screen (Well, it does on my PS3). It involves making an image barely visible, which I assume means everything will appear in the game as intended - with really dark bits appearing dark but not so dark you can't make them out.
Works great with the lights turned off ;-)

Obviously, if you don't want all that "atmosphere" while playing, you could ramp up the lighting and be able to see everything as if it were the middle of the day - like what your second set of images show.
But where's the fun in that?

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#17]
There is still light at night from the moon. This would look better than flat lighting.

Typically games will make the lighting blue at night instead of just darker.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#18]
I can see them all on my TFT (used to have a hard job seeing your screenshots on my CRT, but that's back in England now). However I like shot 2 of 5 the best, it feels a bit warmer.

Anyway v0.8 sounds like it's nearly ready...is it really?

gameproducer(Posted 2009) [#19]
Thanks everybody.

Anyway v0.8 sounds like it's nearly ready...is it really?

Whadda heck are you talking about? :)

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#20]
All can see all of these with no problems.

You can go a shade darker than picture #1 even.

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#21]
Hehehe... I am afraid I can also see the buildings in picture 1. ;)

Loktar(Posted 2009) [#22]
Hey thats cool your doing this with blitzmax, I've been keeping an eye on this game mainly since I saw it in PC Gamer. Lol funny how we cross paths (I run undeadgames.com and zombiegames.net)

gameproducer(Posted 2009) [#23]
Heh, thanks guys.

Gamma/brightness slide will be needed... :)

Loktar - cool! :)