ParticlesMAX

Community Forums/Showcase/ParticlesMAX

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#1]
It's going open source! I have created a Google code page for the particle engine. You can check it out here: http://code.google.com/p/particlesmax/

For my new game I need lots of effects and after getting tired of creating it in code, I decided to create a visual particle effects editor. Yes, there are loads out there, but I want to use my own engine and build up a library of effects. I've been delving into wxMAX, and this is what I came up with:

Basically, the workflow is:
1. add image(s)
2. create particle, add image to that, set behaviour
3. create spawner, add particle to that, set behaviour
4. create emitter, add spawner(s) to that, set behaviour
5. see it run in the editor
6. add emitters to a project, export .csv config file
7. import .csv in game engine, see it run in-game

The cool thing about is is that you can build up a library of effects, which can be re-used or combined into new effects.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#2]
Ooooh. Nice! :-)

Still having issues resizing the canvas?

Any chance of a non-Windows version? ;-)

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thanks =] Yes, resizing the windows shows that that the canvas viewport or something does not move with. I'm not sure.

non-windows? I only use windows. It's my private internal dev tool, unless there is a need for this, I guess. But there are already so many particle editors out there.

GW(Posted 2009) [#4]
Are you releasing the particle library too?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#5]
I only use windows.

And I don't :-p

Oh well, I thought I would ask anyway.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#6]
Are you releasing the particle library too?

Well, if I release the editor when it's ready, I must include the engine as well.

Oh well, I thought I would ask anyway.

I'm not saying that it's not going to happen. If I release it I can release the source as well. We'll see. Focus for me is now to add the stuff I think I will need for my new game.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#7]
thanks

is it 2d?

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#8]
Yup, it's 2d, cos that is what I'm working on at the moment. It could easily be extended to 3d though.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#9]
It's the big bang by Wiebo!

Looks quite user-friendly.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#10]
All my users agree! < (me)

Pete Rigz(Posted 2009) [#11]
Looking good. You got used to wxmax pretty quick :)

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#12]
Thanks. It was a high learning curve, not just the style of how wxmax is build but also getting to know the documentation. But the property grid alone is worth it!!

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#13]
Hey I love this. Just added 15000 particles and ended up with a very nice effect. Well done!

I've managed to crash it couple of times as well - but not sure how I did it in each case.

Murilo(Posted 2009) [#14]
I'm probably doing something stupid here, but I don't see anything when I select "Play" on anything in the library. The FPS counter is active (toggles between 31 and 32), but I don't see any particle FX.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

klepto2(Posted 2009) [#15]
right click on the item you want to show and choose add to engine or something like this.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#16]
I've managed to crash it couple of times as well - but not sure how I did it in each case.

oh it would be cool if you could replicate it!

15000 particles sounds like fun. I went to 3000 and stopped, cos I'll never need it in the game I guess. But I have not hard-coded a limit to the editor, but I probably should. Thanks.

right click on the item you want to show and choose add to engine or something like this.

Yes, or press CTRL-A, and CTRL-Q to turn the engine on or off.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#17]
This looks Rad. I was going to make on for my next game, but maybe I can use this.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#18]
That's why I'll never get my tools out the door. I don't have any gui's, editor's for them. bummer... :( This looks great btw! :)

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#19]
To crash I:

Create a few smokey fires
Run
Spawner->Angle->Change over time
Crash

(XP)

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#20]
Ah thanks DavidDC, I'll check it out.

MGE: I'm always spending way too much time on my own editors :) But what can I say? I like making them and not having polish irritates me to no end!

Grey: I will release this editor to the public once it's done, but there is no ETA really.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#21]
Cool. I look forward to checking it out.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#22]
It's going open source! I have created a Google code page for the particle engine. You can check it out here: http://code.google.com/p/particlesmax/

It would be fun if people would get involved (as if there is a need for one more generic particle engine) =]
But seriously, I think a library based effects editor and a lean in-game engine is something a lot of people here can use for their current (and future) games.

So far, I added some wiki pages to make the requirements clear to compile and get it up and running. I also added the first issues and enhancement requests.

I would LOVE to get feedback on OOP and code structure as well. Is it overly complicated? Can it be simplified? Stuff like that!

I intend to develop the engine, and create my own internal branch for my new game which is still in development (you can say I'm slow, but I finish what I start :) )

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#23]
Ooh! Open source :-)

I do like to rummage around other peoples' source code!

Thanks!

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#24]
the file downloads at half the size its ment to be and will not open. ive tried it 3 times.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#25]
That's weird, pete. I will update the file. edit: it's fixed.

Brucey: cool. Tell me what you think, ok?

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#26]
Thanks Wiebo ive got it now, its really good nice editor i will have a longer play later. as its open source would you consider adding it to the community framework? if you made a mini retro game using it you would stand a good chance of getting a prize too. whatever great work.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#27]
Cool! I'll give it another shot some time soon. Last time I checked it the GUI was very confusing for me.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#28]
Awesome, will be checking this out soon. It could be worth having an option to export as PNG anim strip.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#29]
@Pete: cool that you like it. the community framework would surely be an option, but as there is so much missing from this engine , not at this time.

@Htbaa: I'll upload a new version soon which I hope will make the editor more understandable. But i assure you, once you get the basics down its really simple. I think i will add some docs to the wiki pages to explain the idea behind the concept.

@Grey: Its intended as a real-time engine, not a image maker. Interesting thought though!

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#30]
I'm sure it allows a very simple and understandable workflow. But I've never used any particle editor before so it's kind of a black hole for me :P.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#31]
The export option would mean that people could still make neat effects and not have to plug in a particle engine. This is a neat shortcut for some people.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#32]
True indeed. I tried GenX (could be wrong about the name) a while ago, but it doesn't export images with alpha values. So the app is useless to me, although it was easy to use and could create some neat effects.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#33]
@Grey: yes to some people, but not for me :) I'm developing this for my own game and decided to make it available. That doesn't mean I am trying to create a 'product' here, or attempt to service a market.

@Htbaa: then maybe this engine (not image maker) is also not for you.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#34]
Well, this is native BlitzMax so I think it can be :-)

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#35]
Yeah well, its not to hard to implement. Instead of a real-time run you render a frame, copy it, rinse and repeat.

Right now I am busy with beautifying the editor and I am thinking of adding a schematic view of the entities as well, and re-structuring the code. Things got a bit messy whilst adding the new stuff. :)

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#36]

Oh well, I thought I would ask anyway

Since it'll be open source I or other Mac Users could always try a mac build :P
(As well as Linux uses could make a Linux build)

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#37]
Yes well that the idea behind it, really. When it's finished and people think it's worth adapting and compiling on another OS then it can be done by themselves. I don't intend to buy a Mac or build a Linux system.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#38]
@Wiebo: I hear you but there are times when you may prefer to run an anim instead of a complex particle effect to save CPU and GPU time. Just a though.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#39]
Grey: Of course, but like I said, I'm making this primarily for my own use, so taking requests for features is not what I am at at the moment. :) Still, who knows what the future holds once it is feature complete for my needs?

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#40]
Well, I updated the svn and uploaded a new compiled version of the editor. It's the 3rd iteration of the editor and engine and I'm very happy with how things have turned out. The source is much cleaner and smaller, and bugs and memleaks have been dealt with.
Maybe some of you can try it out and tell me what you think? additions and recommendations are appreciated!

I updated the editor wiki page with some basic information about workflow and the parameters in the editor.

I can now begin to add new features to the engine and sort out the small annoyances. :)

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#41]
nice work, hopefully we sort something like this for the community framework, i want to work on a tilemap/entity placement/level editor maybe with support for particle emitter placement too. I really like what youve done with this

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#42]
Pete, if you need support from me for that then just tell me what kind of additions you need. Glad to hear you like what I have so far!

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#43]
As most of the code has found its place, time has come to add more and more detail in the functionality. It is now possible to change the handle of each image, affect scale of items at spawn time, and more little stuff. Also added is the Fountain emitter, allow sprays of particles to be emitted. Useful for engines, smoke trails and such. I also changed the order and categories in the editor. As more and more stuff gets added, it will be necessary to have a more categorized layout.

It shows the new layout of the spawner. This is where the most work has been done. As the shot shows, what to spawn is now under the ‘Create’ category, and under that is also the new ‘Scale’ category. More functionality will be added to the spawner, and ext to do is the ability to spawn spawners. This will enable the creation of explosions with sprays of fireballs, etc. Something I will need. Heh.

I will update the SVN as soon as the new stuff is more stable. I have updated the WIKI with new information.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#44]
Thanks Wiebo I may just do that. I need to make a big list of stuff people would like in an editor first so I dont need to redesign it every time we need a new feature.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#45]
Ok, if anyone is still interested in this :) I've uploaded a new archive of the editor. It includes the functionality that I need for my game, so new features will take a backseat for now as I start to plug this engine into my game. A lot has been added since the last upload so you might want to check it out, and all menus work and load/save behaves as it should. I also updated the editor wiki page with the new settings and options.

If you can crash the editor, I would love to hear about it :)

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#46]
cool editor wiebo... cant wait to try it out.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2009) [#47]
In my best Borat inpersonation: Very nice!

It's quite flexible - a number of different and varied object types.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#48]
Thanks! I have to be careful and not let the property grid get too complex though, but overall I'm pretty satisfied with it myself as well :)

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#49]
Ok, I have updated the editor and sample library to the latest version. This is, for now, the version of the editor that I will be using for my game. I fixed some bugs and streamlined the property grid handling in the editor types but that's it. So enjoy, and if anyone has suggestion I would love to hear them. I'm finally going to be integrating this new engine into my game.

Cruis.In(Posted 2013) [#50]
this is the kind of effect I am looking for exactly, do you still have this for download anywhere wiebo or anyone?

matibee(Posted 2013) [#51]
You might want to look into TimelineFX... http://www.rigzsoft.co.uk/

Hardcoal(Posted 2013) [#52]
timelinefx rules shame no support under xors

Wiebo(Posted 2013) [#53]
geez. old thread. I have source code somewhere, but it's probably not in a working state, sorry. Just one of those abandoned projects, I'm afraid.

Hardcoal(Posted 2013) [#54]
I always love partical makers.
If only ppl add sound to partical it would be even cooler

Shame its obendond