Line Slide

Community Forums/Showcase/Line Slide

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#1]
Another day, another clone. This time I had a go at Line Rider. It took me about 30 minutes to make so it's pretty basic, and as with Spire of Ooze it's made with BlitzMax using my PhysLite module. It should be fairly easy to break the simulation if the sled picks up enough speed. It'd be an easy fix, but I'm calling it done. Again C+C welcomed.

Click for screenshot

Download Line Slider (349KB)

Draw with then left mouse button and scroll the display with the right mouse button. When you are ready press 'Play'. You can 'Pause' or 'Stop' the sim at anytime without losing your work. Use 'Clear' to delete everything. And that's about it. Have fun.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#2]
pretty fun!

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#3]
this is neat. but I think it would have been better with Bezier curves.

plash(Posted 2009) [#4]
Very solid, drawing lines through the sled and/or person make them go flying!

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#5]
Which name is the real name?
LineSlider or LineRider?
The file is lineslider.zip but the .exe is LineRider.exe

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#6]
very good! especially for the time taken to make it

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#7]
GIA_Green_Fire wrote:
Which name is the real name?
LineSlider or LineRider?
The file is lineslider.zip but the .exe is LineRider.exe
That was a mistake on my part. My game is called 'Line Slider' and is a clone of an existing game called 'Line Rider'. I picked the name at the last minute and forgot to change the .exe's name.

Jeremy Paxman - Yeeeeeeeees wrote:
very good! especially for the time taken to make it
It wasn't that hard. Most of the functionality needed is already in PhysLite. Most of the coding time was just linking the gadget events to the functions.

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#8]
I've updated this one too. It now features loading, saving, and colored lines. I've jazzed up the appearance a bit as well.

Download Line Slider (349KB)

Enjoy.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#9]
hey oddball cool as usual. I just have a question. does your module physlite allow for poly-poly collisions?

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#10]
Nate the Great wrote:
hey oddball cool as usual. I just have a question. does your module physlite allow for poly-poly collisions?
No, not straight poly2poly. A body, PhysLite's dynamic objects, is made up of multiple cicular collidable objects. This allows approximations of polygons, but I suppose not exact mapping. Collision zones, PhysLite's static objects, are simply polygons. You can download the editors to check out how each type of object is constructed in depth.

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2009) [#11]
Really like the Line Slider, add just a couple more features & it would be as good if not better than the other one.

Do these games come with source if you purchase the PhysLite module ?

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#12]
OldSkoolGamer wrote:
Really like the Line Slider, add just a couple more features & it would be as good if not better than the other one.
What, like placeable prefabs, pick-ups and power-ups, an eraser, foreground/background drawing and challenges? ;)

OldSkoolGamer wrote:
Do these games come with source if you purchase the PhysLite module ?
Yes, I'm trying to get them all cleaned up in time for the next PhysLite update. Any that don't make it into the next update will be released as soon as they're ready.

mtnhome3d(Posted 2009) [#13]
i noticed that the undo doesn't seem to work. and i couldn't change the color.

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2009) [#14]
Sweet, I'll definitely have to purchase your physics module then when I get the funds. Count on one more sale.

stayne(Posted 2009) [#15]
Undo works here but it only removes one tiny section of a curve.

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#16]
mtnhome3d wrote:
i noticed that the undo doesn't seem to work. and i couldn't change the color.
That is odd. Do you get a color requester when clicking the change color toolbar option? Or can you select a color, but new lines keep the old color? As stayne says the undo only takes of a little bit of the line at a time. I could have had it remove the full line at once but I felt it would give more control if you could inch your drawing back little by little.

Pongo(Posted 2009) [#17]
If you are adding new features, the ability to erase a section of line would be most welcome. My kids enjoyed this enough that I went out and got the line slider game for the DS. Fun Stuff!

Undo works ok, but I wouldn't mind it taking bigger chunks at a time.

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2009) [#18]
One bug I noticed,

If you use undo to erase part of your line, then put a new line under where the old one was it's like the old line is still there, just invisible because the sled/guy hits or gets stuck on it still. Tried hitting undo to undo part of the line before it, but the invisible line was still there. Hope you understand that........hehe

mtnhome3d(Posted 2009) [#19]
Sorry about the confusion with the "bugs", I figured out both my problems. i get the same thing as OldSkool aswell.

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#20]
Pongo wrote:
If you are adding new features, the ability to erase a section of line would be most welcome. My kids enjoyed this enough that I went out and got the line slider game for the DS. Fun Stuff!

Undo works ok, but I wouldn't mind it taking bigger chunks at a time.
Thanks for the compliments. Maybe InXile should be paying me commission :) The eraser would be a must have for a finished version. With the undo I couldn't decide whether to have it undo a little or a lot and I didn't want to have multiple undo options. Being able to hold the button down to undo more would have been the ideal solution, but MaxGUI toolbar doesn't allow that.

OldSkoolGamer wrote:
One bug I noticed,

If you use undo to erase part of your line, then put a new line under where the old one was it's like the old line is still there, just invisible because the sled/guy hits or gets stuck on it still. Tried hitting undo to undo part of the line before it, but the invisible line was still there. Hope you understand that........hehe
mtnhome3d wrote:
Sorry about the confusion with the "bugs", I figured out both my problems. i get the same thing as OldSkool aswell.
Confirmed and fixed. Good spot guys. It was a pretty silly oversight by me. Not uploading the fix at the moment as things are a little hectic here.

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2009) [#21]
Oddball wrote:

What, like placeable prefabs, pick-ups and power-ups, an eraser, foreground/background drawing and challenges? ;)

Nah, just the eraser and MAYBE different line types, but those aren't really necessary.....