Gun Ranger X 2 (recoded in OpenGL)

Community Forums/Showcase/Gun Ranger X 2 (recoded in OpenGL)

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2009) [#1]
This is an arcade style game in which players compete for points. The goal of the game is to be better than your peers via higher scores than they obtain.

Controls are changeable and colors for the game are also fully customizable. Please try and find what colors work for you. Use the setup utility. (Not an installer)

You obtain points by scraping enemy shots. If you fly close enough to them you will scrape them. You get points this way and also fire back in the direction the shot came from. You of course have a normal gun but true highscores lie in scraping. The dot in the center of your ship is the only vulnerable part. If an enemy shot's center hits this you loose a life.

Please notice the line at the bottom of your screen. This is a safety zone, enemy cells cannot spawn below this line.

This game features a bomb too. A bomb does damage to enemy cells and also clears the screen of any shots. If you are feeling pressure to dodge shots bomb. When you scrape enemy shots your bomb gauge fills. When it is full you gain a small marker under your ship.

Controls
Arrows - Move
z button - Fire
x button - Bomb (when gauge is full)

Cell Shaded version:

New version (2-20-09)
http://freefile.kristopherw.us/uploads/pixel_outlaw/

Bremer(Posted 2009) [#2]
I am really no good at these kind of games, but it seems to be well made and it sure runs smooth. I like how the shapes spin around as you shoot them down.

plash(Posted 2009) [#3]
Downloading now.. at 12kbs.. you should consider using a different file host, like FileFront (I get around 800kbs - in eastern US)

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2009) [#4]
Ok added a new link. ;)

There is still a lot to be done but most of the game is here. I'm certainly not looking forward to proper text in OGL

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#5]
That first link is a horrible download site I actually gave up finding the REAL download link after a while, it was like a hidden object game.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#6]
So this is a bullet curtain game right? Has potential, will be good once there are textures in there, uh ah but you might not be planning that right?

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2009) [#7]
Yes it is a bullet curtain type game (well towards the later levels anyway).

I don't know if I want to use textures, I want the graphics to be simple but pleasing. I may add proper levels too and some normal enemies, leaving only the large balls of cells as bosses. It takes a traditional 80's approach of just making the game endless and ever more challenging but I fear the modern player wants some form of closure in the game so maybe the game should have 6 or 7 proper levels. Of course the modern player is a sugar fed idiot that wants an 80 hour long game full of minimal challenge. But I digress...

Infinitely long?-80's style (endless scoring challenge, endurance required for high scores)

or

Proper levels with end bosses and a definite endpoint?-90's style (memorization required for high scores)

I cannot make the game longer that 6 or 7 levels. To a proper shoot em up player, that is just about right with 2-3 minute long levels. Nobody wants to be stuck on a score based game for more than one sitting of about 30 to 45 minutes. The whole game should be a digestible full expearance in that time.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#8]
I prefer levels and an enpoint. It could be tight experience, not crazy hard, that lasts 30 mins tops.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2009) [#9]
New version (2-20-09)
http://freefile.kristopherw.us/uploads/pixel_outlaw/

I still plan to have some sort of bonus round with proper enemies to break the monotony.