Times Battle

Community Forums/Showcase/Times Battle

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi everybody!

So it is time for news about my 2D Shooter "Times Battle". Long time ago, no news and many problems. But now i`m working alone and at the moment i work on level 7. 10 levels are in the game. And here is a new screenshot.

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#2]
Looks good! I assume there is some scrolling action going on here!

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#3]
Yes of cause, 4 way parallax scrolling.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#4]
I'm curious, Blitzblaster; I know you said it's a 2D shooter. But is it just me, or is that background of hills rendered in 3D? Either way, looks nice!

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#5]
It is only in 2D.

Zeotrope(Posted 2009) [#6]
Looks ok apart from the fence....dont think much of your name choice "Times Battle"

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#7]
It all looks a bit too similar in contrast. It's hard to see enemies and backgrounds differently.

Zeotrope(Posted 2009) [#8]
Ross is right! I just noticed there is a car in that shot!

No contrast exists between the forground / midground / background

Also, your hill tops are darker than your hill sides. Not sure that is possible. As for the trees... :)

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#9]
@ ThermO: The reason is easy, you start the fight from the first world war and from level to level comes a new kind of airplanes.

@Ross C and ThermO: Hmm yes, the contrast in this level is a bit strange. I change a little bit here and a little bit there. Thanks for feedback!

Edit: I change`d now the contrast and now it is better to see the car and the little stones on the street. Thanks again. And by the way, the tree on the wall, this is not final. The tree comes random and i must change the y coordinates :)

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#10]
Here comes the news. Times Battle is 80 % compled. The highscore works and all 10 levels are done. At the moment i work with weather effects like rain and snow. Here a screen from level 2:

MGE(Posted 2009) [#11]
nice pics...but this is the showcase section not the gallery.... lets see a demo! (Looks very nice btw.) :)

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#12]
Ok MGE, the demo comes in round about 3 weeks.

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#13]
Ok i create a small demo, it is better than screenshots.
The demo is with the first level. It is the last alpha version from Times Battle. The download is ~19 MB big. After the first level comes the return to the main menu.

http://www.playsmallgames.de/downloads/TimesBattle-AlphaDemo.zip

You can select the menu buttons with the direction keys. Left and right and for jump press the up key. Spacebar = gun fire up and right .
Playable with the gamepad too. Have fun!

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#14]
Very good presentation, graphics, music and sound!

A few suggestions about the gameplay in this alpha demo.

The collision detection between jeep and rocks is maybe too strict, or the jump not high and fast enough. If the jump were a bit higher (and quicker, it is a bit slow) it would be easier to avoid the rock and also avoid incoming bombs at the same moment. In many action games like Mario you can change direction while jumping, this is not very realistic but it would also enable people to avoid bombs while jumping.

(This could be down to personal taste tough... I remember playing the old game Moon Buggy and a James Bond game (Diamonds are Forever) on the C64, and they have the same kind of controls and movement as your game.)

Edit: Whoops you can actually change direction while jumping in your game too!

I also thought that maybe the graphical contrast between jeep/bombs/rocks and the background could be a bit higher, and the rock a bit bigger so you can see better what is going on in different parts of the screen at the same time.

Lastly as an idea for an extra weapon, you could add a diagonal shot towards the right and up, so you can still shoot those planes. Or maybe you already have such power-ups planned. ;)

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#15]
Hi Foppy!

Thanks for playing Times Battle.
When you collect the Speed Up item, you can drive faster to left and right for 10 seconds. This item comes many times in a level. The idea about the weapon power up is good. So i will create this feature, so you can shot with this power up. And a power up comes too, this will be a bigger shot. When the big shot collisons with a plane, he explode compled. At the moment i must finde the last little bugs and after than comes the power ups. When it is done, it comes the big boss fight. After a second level comes a big boss fight. A tank, a helicopter, a big plane and so on.
Do you play with the keyboard or gamepad? Buy the way, an e-mail comes back to me, i ask`d you for a link partnership from your homepage to my own hompage and the same to your homepage.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#16]
I look forward to playing this. Yeah the name needs work from an English point of view. Agree with comments about hard to see car but I guess it's better when the background scrolls.

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#17]
Blitzblaster, I use the keyboard. About the links, good idea, I will add a link to your site! :)

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#18]
Ok you have an URL Link too! :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#19]
Game has potential but doesn't live up to the screenshots. It's too hard to see the rocks on the road + my son said it's unrealistic that a little rock would blow up your vehicle. The jumping needs gravity or something as it feels bad + how does the vehicle jump anyway? Also sometimes the enemies drop bombs randomly that you simply cannot avoid so it needs balancing.

Try out Heavy Weapon for some ideas, that's a really great game.

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#20]
Hi Grey Alien!

Thanks for feedback. Ok realistic or not. It`s a game and this is my idea abot the jump action. Look for Battle Trought Time or other games. You see that is not realistic too. But i have change the jump timer. In my new version it is better to jump and the rocks are a bit bigger. And yes of cause, it comes weapon updates. In the new version all weather effects are finish (rain and snow) and at the moment i work on the explode when a airplane is hit and after two seconds the airplane explode and it is falling down on the street. You don`t collisions with the pieces of the airplane.
When it is all done it comes a new version online. And today i found 2 little bugs. Thanks again for the feedback!

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#21]
Definitely looks better without the fence.
It remionds me a lot of (I cant remember the name) but it had a helicopter and a tank/jeep thing scrolling the jeep would jump and fire ahead, and the chopper could bomb the ground and shoot airborne things too - Very good fun!

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#22]
Malice, the fence looks better in motion. Many kind of this games have got this gameplay.

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#23]
but it had a helicopter and a tank/jeep thing scrolling the jeep would jump and fire ahead
Maybe "Silkworm"!

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#24]
Hi everybody!

Now the times comes. Times Battle is done in the end of march. What is in the game?

- 10 Level
- 5 Boss fights
- option menu with bombs are shootable or not, shadow on/off, gamepad or keybord gameplay
- great music and sound effects
- particle effects like rain, snow, fire

Here a small ingame video from youtube.com :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARTN5Dj8mXg

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#25]
hey that actually looks pretty cool, and i'm looking forward to checking it out.

good job

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#26]
Wow this does look cool!

I really look forward to playing this blitzblaster, I love these kinds of games!

Will it be free?
Or do we have to pay for it?

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#27]
@KingNothing: Thanks you :)
@WERDNA: Thats good to hear :). This game isn`t for free.

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#28]
Was afraid of that, lol.

How much will it cost?
Or is there a set price yet?

Because if its not too much, I just might buy it ^_^

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#29]
This question about the price is not easy to unswer. But not to much i think :)

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#30]
Ok cool!

I look forward to buying it!

Looks like an awesome game :D

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#31]
Hi Blitz User!

Today come the new playable demo. This is the first final demo. All 5 - 6 month it comes a free update from this game. The demo is include with 2 playable levels and the first bossfight. I hope you have fun with the demo, or more fun with the fullversion. Here is the .zip file not an install .exe
http://www.playsmallgames.de/downloads/TimesBattleDemo.zip ~22 MB

The fullversion is with:

- 10 playable levels
- 5 bossfights

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#32]
Hi again!

Vista User, please tell me, that the game run`s. It is create with Blitz 3D, newst Version and a user told me, that the game can`t run under Vista. This is a big problem, when it is true.

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#33]
Times Battle is now for free. Here we are:

http://www.playsmallgames.de/downloads/TimesBattle.exe

SoggyP(Posted 2009) [#34]
Hello.

Played fine (if a little collision sensitive) on my Vista laptop. Some good old fashioned gaming here that took me right back.

Good job.

Goodbye.

Chi3f Stadi(Posted 2009) [#35]
Thanks for sharing the game. It seems very difficult to jump over the obstacles with the jeep.

What was the reason for not selling the game ?

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#36]
@ SoggyP: Play it often, and than you can handle this. ;)
@ Chi3f Stadi: The reason is, that the game is for a small group of players and the gameplay is not good enough. But i hope you have a bit fun.