Simple Space War

Community Forums/Showcase/Simple Space War

Drak(Posted 2009) [#1]
A simulation I coded up last night and think is fun to watch.

Use the ESC key to quit.

Get it here: 614kb
-Removed old version_

Edit: Get updated 1.3! (2/4/09) (615kb)
http://www.mediafire.com/?m9tjmun0myr

Edit:

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#2]
Very nice work!

Do you plan to do anything else with this?

plash(Posted 2009) [#3]
That wont work, the link is temporarily created for a single user's session.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#4]
oh my bad.

I forgot to ask... is this 3d or 2d? the shading makes the ships look like spheres and the bullets could be cones...

another thing I noticed... red always wins. maybe if u added a seedrnd(millisecs) in at the beginning it would be more random

edit nevermind... i guess it was just random chance that red won every game the first time I ran it

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2009) [#5]
verry coolio! i love these kind of things. the only suggestion i have is that maybe you should speed it up a bit. it gets a little borind towards the end of each simulation. other than that, it great.

Drak(Posted 2009) [#6]
Nate: I may do more, add more options for each commander and maybe some other ships or something. Not sure. I just whipped it up in a spur of inspiration.

Is it 2d or 3d? It's 3d. The ships and bases are spheres and the bullets are spheres also, scaled out to look like lasers.

Taron(Posted 2009) [#7]
Really neat and fertile grounds! Once one side wins, it seems like the deal is sealed, but it could be interesting to make a sort of inbetween analysis round, where each side gets to figure out mistakes and optimize strategy. Kinda like rerunning the play and checking for what could've be done differently, you know... I know this sounds a little crazy, but I could imagine that the losing party of round 1 may not be so "dumb" anymore in the next round.

Anyway, you're inspiration took you to a really great place! Congrats!

Drak(Posted 2009) [#8]
I've updated this program significantly in the last couple of days. If you liked the first version I recommend you check the updated version out.

A complete list of the changes comes with the file or I've posted them all in my worklog also.

Grab it here: (615kb)
Edit: Removed link... scroll down a few posts to get updated version.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#9]
nice update. keep up the good work... I really like the evasive movements

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#10]
I will try running this new version in a bit. but, it is pretty neat. Maybe you could implement a little bit of a scripting language for the pilots? So, users could choose the behavior of the pilots to see how the battle plays out.

Maybe a little bit of dog fighting where the ships go into evasive maneuvers. :)

Drak(Posted 2009) [#11]
Updated again today. MUCH MUCH MUCH more fluid movement. I'm actually very impressed with the motions of the ships now.

Hopefully this will be the last update! (Sorry for the many downloads but at least they're tiny)

Get it here: V1.3(617kb)
http://www.mediafire.com/?m9tjmun0myr

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#12]
Can you make this run in a window? I would like to leave it running, but I need to use my PC...

Drak(Posted 2009) [#13]
Taskmaster(or anyone else), here's a windowed version:

This is the same exact file as the 1.3 version but will run in a window.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gnx1vmo1xt4

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#14]
Thanks.

Zenith(Posted 2009) [#15]
I like it a lot Drak! (Any news on your tribe simulation? I'd love to see it)

Drak(Posted 2009) [#16]
Zenith, I'll probably be releasing a playable version of this program next weekend. (see my worklogs on this program as I've made many changes) I have to go out of town for work this week so I won't be able to work on it till then.

As far as the tribe simulation goes, I have been working on that, just not as much as I'd like to. I promise an update on that soon.

Glad you like it.

If you guys can't tell I like programming my little computer creatures to function with little to no user input.

Zenith(Posted 2009) [#17]
I really like your ideas, can't wait to check it out. Yeah I did notice it, and that's what I really like about it. :)