Tommy Tronic test level

Community Forums/Showcase/Tommy Tronic test level

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#1]
Tommy Tronic is finally getting very close to completion:

*** DOWNLOAD REMOVED***

Thanks for those who bothered to give feed back!!

Murilo(Posted 2009) [#2]
I've taken a quick look. I'll have a proper play tomorrow.

Graphics are very sharp (1280x1024 here), and the scrolling was silky smooth. Nice.

I did encounter one bug during my quick play (at least I think it was a bug). After jumping out of the water, Tommy constantly rotated when standing idle (i.e he kept spinning around).

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#3]
Damn - I thought I nailed that bug!! Thanks - I'll have to take another look at it.

Uncle(Posted 2009) [#4]
This is simply the best Blitz game I have ever seen. It feels and looks excellent. The only suggestion I would make is that perhap you should be able to jump on the moving platforms from below them, rather than have your player trapped underneath them causing the screen to shake due to the collision (hope you understand what I mean here). Well done again though, the time and effort you have spent on was well worth it.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#5]
This is looking great! Well done for getting so far and good luck finishing it.

It's pretty tough though, my youngest boy (5) would have a hard time with the platforming elements and the fact that the carrots take so many shots (and fire back so often) etc. Did you every play the Turtle Odyssey games? They are easier for kids and I really enjoy them too.

I found it odd bouncing off moving platforms and sometimes there was some jiggling as I got stuck on them mid-air. Perhaps if you could jump through them and land on them ...

On the game over screen I was pressing a few keys and it didn't move on (maybe I was pressing Ctrl+arrows keys), then finally space moved on.

Also noticed that the little explosion when your bullet hits the wall is too low down.

steve_ancell(Posted 2009) [#6]
Cool !... I notice you are still using that Erasure "Blue Savanah" soundtrack !.

LOL... It's funny when Tommy flings the door open and says "AND STAY OPEN !"

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#7]
Oh I love Tommy's voice by the way.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#8]
Plays pretty hard. I'm not sure what your target demographic is, but you should play test a bunch to make sure it's not too hard/easy.

I zoomed in (right shift) and could never zoom back out (left shift).

Fantastic looking game. You've gone this far, now you just need to fine tune it for maximum fun/revenue income.

Ran good enough on my system in 800x600. Intel 82845G GPU, 512mb, 2.9ghz Celeron.

p.s. If possible, I would support wide screen monitors to avoid that stretched look.

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#9]
MGE - have you set your own key controls in the controls menu screen? It's right 'ctrl' key to zoom out by default. Read the top of this post.

I'm going to work on these widescreen res's..but it may really affect the game triggers and stuff - might have to be a pretty bodge at this stage.

Thanks for testing - good to see nothing major going wrong at this stage.

Grey - it's harder because you've only just started playing it at level 5 - there are weapons to collect that off these baddies in an instant.

I don't quite like the idea of going through platforms but I think I can stop the judder effect - it annoyed me too. There are lots of conflicts doing a solid looking 3D game and then confining to a 2D plane.

Steve - yeh, all tunes are Erasure, but they're going to have to come out soon. Hopefully I'll get some similar tunes written by somebody with talent.

Uncle - the best Blitz game ever?? Thanks for the compliment!! How about Naked War??

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#10]
Some suggestions from my side:
- love the carrots, but they should shoot something different than "stars".
- give me an underwater weapon to beat the fish. ;)
- felt a bit lost cause I didn't know where to go in order to open the next door. Perhaps you could add an optional hint/help marker.
- definately make different game modes (easy/hard)

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#11]
Grisu - good points but remember this is level 5 - the first levels ease you in to the game with hints and tips.
There is a story attached to the game - did you read the web link above?
Messages on each level sort of keep you informed as you chase Lobez Mckensie and Biffa through the woods before they reach their lair/lab.

It's not a game to run through - using your weapons and rucksac pickups wisely is the key - it then becomes 10 times easier!

..and how exactly should a huge mutant carrot powered by pure rage attack?? I forgot what they taught back at school - he he!

MGE(Posted 2009) [#12]
oops! My bad, zoom in/out works as stated. I mis read, I thought it was left/right shift keys. Sorry! :)

hmm.. Maybe big mean carrots should fire little carrot like chunks of himself, or perhaps smaller sized carrots?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#13]
Oh dear... it fails big-time for me.

On first running, it showed the logo, played the spooky sound and faded the upper/lower text in and out, then did nothing.

Task Manager let me close it, but I was stuck with a black screen, unable to return to the desktop. It turned out there's also a temp.exe running, and killing this let me get back to the desktop. (It was using 100% of one of my CPUs, and about 19 MB RAM.) The same thing happened a second time.

Trying again, I hit Enter before the logo text faded out, and got to the "Loading" screen, but... it just sat there. I couldn't get back to the desktop, or even Task Manager, so had to reboot.

Trying again, I noticed a brief flash of "Loading" before the logo screen, which made me wonder if you're perhaps doing something weird like trying to run two full-screen Blitz apps at the same time? (One to do the loading while the other shows the logo.)

It froze up and I had to reboot twice more while trying to get somewhere (again seeing that "Loading" screen briefly before the logo appeared), but all to no avail!

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#14]
Was thinking that it would be good to have a kind of pointing arrow at the corner of the screen showing you your next destination.

ICECAP(Posted 2009) [#15]
Works well, but am unable to pick up keys or items (snorkle for instance).
Is this "to be done" or should it work?

Mortiis(Posted 2009) [#16]
Duck to pickup things

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#17]
Hey man i like it. Jumping and turning in mid-air isn't great though. Briliiant presentation!

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#18]
not sure if it has been mentioned but if I hold down g I fall through whatever platform or the ground I am standing on. so I got into the water at the very beginning... is it sposed to do this?
Other than that its a really nice game... keep up the good work!

Buggy(Posted 2009) [#19]
Website looks really nice. Some things to consider as I skimmed the story, though, are that 1) you spelled "Yapz" as "Yaps" the first time, and 2) you should fix your quotations. Quotation marks go next to the words (no spaces) and periods and commas always go inside them. (I've been doing a lot of editing lately and have started to get super-anal about grammar.) Website design looks awesome, though, and I look forward to playing the game.

steve_ancell(Posted 2009) [#20]
Nate the Great (Posted 1 hour ago) #18
not sure if it has been mentioned but if I hold down g I fall through whatever platform or the ground I am standing on. so I got into the water at the very beginning... is it sposed to do this?
Other than that its a really nice game... keep up the good work!

I found a weirder one than that...

Press G as you jump into the air, and you will just boost through the rocks, and end up on a higher part of the level.

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#21]
Blitz support - what machine are you running? There is nothing fancy going with camera modes etc..it's all plain polygon textures with a basic camera.
I've had one report back similar to you with the controls screen in the menu(same camera) but it was being run on VMware on a Mac so I wasn't sure if it was me or faulty graphics emulation with the VMware.
The temp.exe IS the exe if I recall. It's a default exe made using a plugin with BrainEd ide...the lev05.exe is just the unpacker I think.

I can send you the camera setup code if you think I might be doing something wrong there. I'm probably doing something naughty and un-programmer-like somewhere. To be honest it sounds like it's getting stuck in a loop - maybe it's a timing/trigger issue. I'll go through that intro code and see - I did smash it out, there's bound to be something naughty there.

The dreaded 'G' key is my debug mode button - helps get straight to a troublesome spot in short time - it can affect the game though if switching from environments like water and land - certain collision triggers will fail and the controls can go ape.

Buggy - thanks for reminding me!! I did bash that tale out very late one night and haven't been back since. I'll go through it properly and sort it out.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#22]
I appreciate this is level 5 but I definitely think you should look at the overall difficulty and pitch it so that young kids can play it (or include an easy mode).

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#23]
Okay - I'll stick some sort of difficulty choice in when I'm done making the levels Grey.

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#24]
Has anybody yet bothered to play this patiently to the level exit? I see no reports of any of the character events,or power pickup, or weapons...

Blitzblaster(Posted 2009) [#25]
Very nice level demo. I like it. Good gameplay for my opinion.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#26]
Has anybody yet bothered to play this patiently to the level exit? I see no reports of any of the character events,or power pickup, or weapons...

I personally find it too hard but it is a great game... maybe a level 2 demo would be more effective because more people would finish it. I couldnt get any of my friends or family to finish it either... its just a little hard... some helpful criticism: the jumping needs a little work. im not sure how it works now but I always give the player a y velocity for jumping purposes in platformer-like games.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#27]
my laptop doesnt launch blitz3d programs for some reason so i cant test it

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#28]
Hi Hujiklo,

This is an Intel Core2Duo with Geforce 7600 GS graphics card... nothing fancy.

I wasn't talking about camera modes, but wondered if level05.exe and temp.exe were both full-screen Blitz programs 'competing' to fill the screen at the same time, but apparently not!

As I'm the only report of freezing up on 'standard' hardware, I guess you can probably ignore me without too much worry... there's not really any way to determine why it's happening since I can't do anything when it freezes. I'd be happy to download the unpacked version (ie. temp.exe) from a private URL and see it that works, if you want -- just email me a link if so. That might at least show whether the wrapper has anything to do with it or not.

I was looking forward to trying it though!

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#29]
I've just upgrade to version 1.99 and tweaked the code a little for the intro - I'll email you a link for an unpacked version maybe tomorrow.

What res are you running?

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#30]
So perhaps you need to release a carefully paced test level that we can all complete fairly easily and test out all the game elements. Then I'll play it through and get my kids to as well.

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#31]
Well opinion is defintely divided on it. I think I'll shut my ears and ignore any criticisms anyhow - No I'm only kidding!!
My son can complete it easy - I personally don't know what the fuss is about. I can play it with my eyes closed almost which means very little seeing as I've programmed it all. It really is not a run and jump platformer, I intended this to be a sort of old Amiga-ish style game (which often had nuances and went against the main stream grain - and were often quite hard). I'll put in a difficulty tweaker at a later stage - for now I've got to get these levels finished. Simply can't please everyone right now.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#32]
I think the controls are good. I like them. All except turning in mid air. It's too loose feeling.

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#33]
Too loose feeling? Give me an example where it annoys you Ross. I'm too used to the controls by now to be objective enough to experience what you're saying.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#34]
"As I'm the only report of freezing up on 'standard' hardware, I guess you can probably ignore me without too much worry.."

.. after reading this I wanted to comment that I have to click on the exe a few times before it actually runs. I thought it was my double clicking, but now I realize it's the game. weird eh?

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#35]
Maybe some of these issues are actually from the compiled and packed exe after all. I won't be using this system for the final product - I'll use an installer I think. I don't have one right now.

SpaceAce(Posted 2009) [#36]
MGE, are you sure you're waiting long enough? When I tried the demo, it took something like twenty seconds to start after I double-clicked on the EXE. The game did eventually start, though.

SpaceAce

smilertoo(Posted 2009) [#37]
well that was great, all i kept getting was a corrupt download and now its removed.

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#38]
Was just about to try this myself. I assume you'll be uploading a new demo at some stage?

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#39]
Yes - I'll do a new upload for you then after I tweak a few things. I got nearly 2 gig of downloads in about 48hrs and my bandwidth limit was in danger of being met.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#40]
SpaceAce, possibly...hmm... perhaps I was running 1-2 copies of the same at the same time? Hopefully in the final install a loading screen or something will be shown. ;)

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#41]
Yes - it unpacks the media so you have to wait for that to finish before the blitz exe is actually called. Can take a while on the first run.

Defoc8(Posted 2009) [#42]
looks very nice indeEd.. impressed.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#43]
Not sure if it has been mentioned... if u hold down g while in the air you fly! is this a cheat?

screenshot! I got to the end!

BTW: this level is pretty hard. :) maybe bump it up to level 10 My personal fav is the gorilla! haha

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#44]
Hmmm..made it to the end with only 197 points??! Who are you kidding? I bet that 'G' key got some swift usage from the off ;)

Yeh - I forgot to take that hack out - it's for when I'm debugging so I can get somewhere fast.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#45]
oh yeah that g-key got some heavy usage ;) I think it would be a nice bonus to leave the g cheat in there for the test levels so everyone can see the entire level without having to be good at the game.

smilertoo(Posted 2009) [#46]
No, holding g is too obvious; better with various hidden cheats.

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#47]
Wow, The game looks really impressive!

I'm just sorry I missed downloading it :(

I really look forward to the next demo you make available, and are
you going to sell this game when it comes out?

An extremely impatient WERDNA

Hujiklo(Posted 2009) [#48]
Yes - hopefully I will sell a few copies. Next Demo will be soon...vaguely speaking.

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#49]
NICE!

I can't wait, your game looks really fun ^_^