Xors3D Rust Buggy Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Xors3D Rust Buggy Demo

Ian Thompson(Posted 2009) [#1]
The guys over at Rubux have released another Xors3D Game Engine demo.

http://moka.ucoz.ru/load/0-0-0-112-20

F1 = Remove/Add Shadows
F2 = Remove/Add Bloom

Mouse2 = Flip car in the air

1 = change camera view

Arrow Keys = Drive buggy

Yes, Xors is not complete(more features are being added), but it currently has full DX9 support, physics/shadows/shader support, plus ALL the Blitz3D commands converted to DX9, more than usable for me personaly.

Xors is compatible with Blitx3D and BlitxMax.

Have a look at http://www.rubux.net/ for more info.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#2]
..yup...thats most probably renderer I will engage in my game ;)

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#3]
Xors3D hmm... Anyone actually using this for development atm?

_33(Posted 2009) [#4]
Pretty good performance. Yup, this should be the engine I will use.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#5]
I'd like to give it a try if I could see the website :(

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#6]
..im using Xors3D for my game (testing all stuff since i doesnt have registered copy yet but limited) and so far its blowing away everything i have tried so far for B3D..

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#7]
I get 1 fps with a 8600gt??

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#8]
thats weird because my 7600 hitting 60 fps all time on 1600x1050

khayn(Posted 2009) [#9]
8400gs and......
110 fps full, and 352 without bloom.

good work

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#10]
@ Naughty - must be a driver thing - are the ones you're using stable and if so, can you point me to them?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#11]
..sure I will when i get back home today...as i said..I had 300 characters(animated) at same time on scene(visible) and fps is over 60 all time on my 7600GT...so i would say that Xors3D really injected to B3D brand new and modern facelook..

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#12]
I have test it on my laptop with ATI X1100 and it run 52FPS nice!

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#13]
naughty, what formats of animated meshes does Xors3D use? Can you use .b3d's? and is the boned animation transformations done in hardware?

Yan(Posted 2009) [#14]
The demo wont run for me. :o/

I get some error about it being unable to create a cube map texture at line 521 and I'm told to check the log file, that I can't find, for more details.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#15]
It was standard B3D, no changes from typical B3D...more than 300 characters on sight, casting shadows and receiving...on my 7600 i got smooth like silk 60 fps ..give it a try man..its really worth attention...I would like to see only authors a bit more responsive, or better say faster in responding to emails..other than that, its really nice..and working very nice on my 6600..

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#16]
is there Freebsic wrapper for it?

Ian Thompson(Posted 2009) [#17]
is there Freebsic wrapper for it?

Register at the form and PM Heiko(a forum user) for the Freebasic wrapper.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#18]
Yep, i think i'm practically sold on this man. Nice little demo too Ian :o) (Sorry for derailing the thread a little)

Loktar(Posted 2009) [#19]
I just get a black screen with bars and numbers to the left.... using an ATI 4870.

EDIT, had to press F1, and F2 then I could see everything. Very awesome looking.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#20]
is anyone replying the forum in http://www.rubux.net/?

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#21]
Dam, i don't get any textures loading at all... :o(

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#22]
far as i am informed rubux.net moving to rubux.com so thats why guys are a bit silent..Squid told me that..

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#23]
what config you have Ross? Can you see geometry?

Ian Thompson(Posted 2009) [#24]
Ross try pressing F1 on startup, turning off the shadows helped a previous guy.

John Blackledge(Posted 2009) [#25]
I got a tidy message saying 'Can't create DX9 texture'

Pentium4 1.60 Ghz 768MB Ram, Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200, DirectX 9

To which I have to repeat my earlier point - you should have a fallback position for older gfx cards (millions of which are still in use) if you want to sell the eventual products to the public.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#26]
I can see geomtery and the F2 definetly adds some sort of bloom. Just no textures and i assume that means no shadows. Pressing F1 doesn't help.

Specs are in my sig, except i now have a Radeon 9600 XT

_33(Posted 2009) [#27]
John Blackledge, true but I prefer for Xors3D to work before trying to support old systems. Remember that Xors3D is Direct X 9, and your graphics card is REALLY OLD.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#28]
You have to remember as well _33, John's card might be old, but i'd say it's more powerful than most average computers graphics cards. (on board i mean)

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#29]
It may or may not be more powerful, but if it doesn't support the texture format, it doesn't support it. I'm sure when the engine is finished, it will check for the availability of the format before creating it and close down nicely or report an error, but you can't make it support a texture format it doesn't.

My guess is that it's trying to create a floating point texture and a Geforce 4 - which is seven years old - doesn't support it. The new Intel chipsets do support it. Generating a high precision depth buffer - as used in most shadowmapping implementations along with many other effects like screen space ambient occlusion and depth of field - is essential. I'm all for a reasonable degree of fallbacks, but you can't expect a DX9 shader driven engine with a decent amount of whizzbang effects to implement five different types of shadowmapping to support every 7 year old videocard. If you implement every effect five different ways, the engine takes five times as long. Anyone feel like waiting another six or seven years before the engine is released?

Defoc8(Posted 2009) [#30]
mostly i agree with you mr Gab - however i think the most common approach
to shadow mapping is to compact float values into rgba + extract them
later.((when float textures are not directly supported)). I would imagine
most engines still support this method as a fallback at least..
i could be wrong..but im so clever i must be right..uh..yeh.. ;) :p

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#31]
So, Gab, you reckon my card isn't up to it? Interesting... I still think that if normal map textures and such aren't supposed, the game maker should be writing some fall back, not for ancient tech, but for cards like mine :o)

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#32]
"...You have to remember as well _33, John's card might be old, but i'd say it's more powerful than most average computers graphics cards. (on board i mean) ...."

Powerful but not DX9 compliant ;-)

"...It may or may not be more powerful, but if it doesn't support the texture format, it doesn't support it. I'm sure when the engine is finished, it will check for the availability of the format before creating it and close down nicely or report an error, but you can't make it support a texture format it doesn't...."

+1

JP

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#33]
mostly i agree with you mr Gab - however i think the most common approach to shadow mapping is to compact float values into rgba + extract them later.

That's the approach I use in my engine - whether floating point textures are supported or not - but you don't get a great deal of precision with this. For a general purpose solution that has to suit everyone who uses the engine, I'm thinking that you would get a fair number of complaints if that was the only solution you used.

Supporting as a fallback is alright, but unless your engine features dynamic shader compilation, that means having to write two versions of every shader which can receive a shadow. Which can be a lot. It also means that you cost yourself an extra couple of instructions, which is tricky when you're struggling to cram certain effects into, for example, Shader Model 2.0 anyway.

So, Gab, you reckon my card isn't up to it?

I don't know whether your card supports floating point textures. The only person I saw reporting an error was John, and his was a Geforce 4. I don't even know how old yours is. I'm not overly familiar with ATI cards any more. In general though, I do find it odd that people wanting to support 7 year old video cards are looking for the latest 3D engines. I would have thought Blitz3D or one of the earlier DX9 engines like Irrlicht would have been more appropriate. I just know from my experience that it's really hard, as an engine developers, to strike a balance between new features and compatibility for olds cards.

_33(Posted 2009) [#34]
You have to remember as well _33, John's card might be old, but i'd say it's more powerful than most average computers graphics cards. (on board i mean)

Xors3D is a Direct X 9 engine since day one. If the shadows require specific Direct X 9 features, why even bother trying to match a Direct X 8 generation video card to it, and beg for support? It would be wiser to just not try the Xors3D demos if it is known to not run properly on an old system. Or, upgrade to a more recent video card. There are still AGP video cards being sold.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=agp&x=0&y=0

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#35]
Fair points.