Metagolf 0.1.5

Community Forums/Showcase/Metagolf 0.1.5

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hey guys !

A new version of my game is out.
Well it's still at alpha stage but I think it's worth to check it out if you like those kind of game :

http://arm42.free.fr/blog/index.php?2009/01/13/24-metagolf-015-alpha-out

Hope you like playing around with it ;)

jsp(Posted 2009) [#2]
I got an:
ERREUR 404 - Document non trouvé
when following your download link on your website :(

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#3]
Hum sometimes it takes a little time.
May you retry now ?

jsp(Posted 2009) [#4]
Download is working now! Graphics look nice. Will checkout the game later (too late for today:)

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#5]
Hum, this is what I see when I run the app:-

That cannot be right can it? :)

Dabz

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#6]
Dabz, that's level one. Don't give up, you can do it!

;)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#7]
Hum, this is what I see when I run the app

That usually means one of :

* The app is using more VRAM than you have (hence the corrupt textures.
* Your graphics drivers are out of date (always a possibility ;-).

I believe it was GfK who once had similar issues with BlitzMax, and after updating his drivers the issues went away - or someone else, or not the same problem :-p

jsp(Posted 2009) [#8]
I have played around with this for a while and it looks already quite good.
I found the first level it starts with a bit difficult, but that's probably just me.
The editor is really great, looks like a lot of work. How long did you work on this till now?
I faced several times a crash with runtime errors, especially when trying to enter unusual values into the editor, it looks like there is not a lot of bounds checking yet. Nevertheless, all in all very good! Looking forward to the finished game.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#9]
@jsp
There is currently no real level, only test level with strange platforms everywhere ^^
I still need to draw the perfect tileset to enjoy creating good levels.
Indeed, the parameters editor crash from time to time not always because of unusual values but because the game is using Box2d and must place the currently edited Box2D shape object into a "body destructor" that wait the right moment to destroy objects and then the editor reinitialized them with the new values. That because you can't modify after creation each parameters of box2d objects.
And even when I destroy bodies when needed in my game logic, sometime Box2d crash...
Still need to have a look at this and bound correctly values for each parameters.
It took me about 6 months to code and draw everything you see.
There is still a lot of work but hopefully I can reuse this engine to write different platform games.
A Golf game wasn't exactly my first idea for a game but I though it would be more easy at first try.
I would like to take some times now to fix bugs and improve visuals. Maybe use this game to find a nice job :)

@Dabhand
Sorry I wasn't there last week and couldn't see your snapshot.
But if this look like what a friend of mine already show me in Vista, like this :

It's something probably related to the OpenGL BlitzMax Drivers... Well I hope so :s
Maybe you could try to update them ?
I know I'm using large textures, and that would be difficult currently to change the way i'm doing stuff.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#10]
And even when I destroy bodies when needed in my game logic, sometime Box2d crash...

Well, that shouldn't happen! Tell me more :-p

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#11]
Well, that shouldn't happen! Tell me more :-p

Well, maybe it's not when bodies are destroyed but probably when I need to re-create them on the fly.
My framework is a bit nebulous around that part but maybe there is a logic moment were object can safely be created as well as there is a right moment where they can be destroyed.
More informations when I'm sure it's not my framework but the way i'm using box2d on this.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#12]
Ok I change some part of the code in the level editor.
Now things "may" be more stable ^^
I've also remove the vertical and horizontal scrollbars (use the arrow keys to scroll the map).
And finally I add a quick rough guide on how to use that level editor (but don't expect much from this alpha editor ^^).