unamed game (circle man???)

Community Forums/Showcase/unamed game (circle man???)

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi,
I made this game a while back when I first got into programming platformers and I just now dug it up and realized how far along it was. I decided to finish it by adding menu's and fixing bugs etc. all I lack now is some levels that show all of its features. Its really just a basic platformer with some cool effects but it feels good to finish something so im gunna finish it and release it for free! I may even include the source however it is quite long and uncommented so it would most likely be of no use to anyone. There is no download for now however it is coming soon! (maybe next week)

Edit: download link :)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zkmgdzj2z5t/release 1.zip updated!

the story:

there has been a long rivalry between the circle people and the square people. The square people live under water and the circle people live on land. You are a circle person and you have to spy on the square people by collecting info peices without getting caught by the square guards. You only get caught if you run into them. enjoy :)

for now here are some screen shots!

demo coming soon (next week most likely)

list of things to do

get level select working right
dont use blitz text (looking for fonts)
get music and sound fx
improve some small bugs

after I get these done I will release it!

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#2]
oops forgot to mention... does anyone have an idea for a name? I cant think of a good name besides circle man :/

*(Posted 2009) [#3]
What about 'Sam the shape' seeing as everything is shape based :D

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#4]
hmmm good idea ill think about it :) yeah I noticed everything is kinda shape-based but I never thought of including that in the name... maybe I should add triangle people in league with the square people??? this game is still in its early stages... well early enough I can add characters easily.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#5]
"Bound A-Round" ;)

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#6]
unfortunately bound around is taken and bound a-round isnt different enough thanks anyway

bound around: http://www.blueskied.com/boundaround.htm

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#7]
the demo is complete! (sorry for the lack of sound fx)

It has many limited features... no level select or options

There are 5 levels and after that you get an error demo over box
controls are:
left arrow moves left
right arrow moves right
up arrow jumps: double jumping enabled! :)

directions: figure stuff out thats part of the game for now... you must get all of the info pieces to pass the level :)

IMHO level 4 is way harder than level 5 for some odd reason

I know I included most of the source but the main program is missing :p

download from filefront:

http://files.filefront.com/demo+v2zip/;12955271;/fileinfo.html

oh ya I forgot to say thanks to kochon for the music

therevills(Posted 2009) [#8]
Hey Nate,

Just tried you game... pretty good!

Couple of things:

1. Death scene is too long...
2. On level 5, I didnt collect all the info and got stuck at the exit!

Cheers!

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#9]
@therevills

hi thanks for trying it out! if those are the only problems so fat then im off to a good start :) ill change it and add some levels and upload a new version soon

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#10]
Hey just tried this, its very cool I hope you fully complete it.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#11]
This looks like a neat little platformer, will have to try it soon...

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#12]
Thanks for the comments!

ok a to do list:

Fix sound repeat problems
Make an options screen
Give up the level select
Make more levels!
Fix z-ordering and z-fighting problems that are currently unnoticable in the given levels
if anyone is interested in helping make levels just email me and ill give you the level editor.

sorry the update is taking so long.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#13]
this program is going nowhere for me so i have decided to release it once and for all! it has some random levels and the code is not commented but full source is included! :) I think it will be good for some beginners to learn from but it started off so unorganized it was doomed for failure so i have moved on.

the main program is circle man.bb
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zkmgdzj2z5t/release 1.zip

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#14]
The download link at the top seems to be broken somehow. I looks like it downloads then it errors right at the end, says it's a failed download (Firefox)

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#15]
Aww too bad...

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#16]
ok I updated it!

i switched over to mediafire sorry