KaTE alpha

Community Forums/Showcase/KaTE alpha

kochOn(Posted 2009) [#1]
KaTE is the simple terrain (mesh) editor I am working on.

Screens:

Here is an alpha version:
http://nicoatek.free.fr/temp/KaTE.zip

- I am a registered user and the zip file is clean, so feel free to try it.
- Export works, and I am about 100% from what I have planned at start.
-> Can now export as heightmap.
-> Exporting shadows is ready (may take 2 minutes on a 256x256 terrain).
- In editing mode, you can take SnapShots by pressing the TAB key, so feel free to post your quick creations and your comments.
-> you can work in windowed mode by adding widowed=1 in the misc section of the user.ini file.

In edit mode:
- Alt key + Move: Rotate the view
- Ctrl key + Move: Camera distance
- Tab Key: Take a SnapShot
- Ctrl + Mouse Wheel: Scroll Tools
- Shift Key + Mouse Wheel: Scroll Brushes
- Return: Switch between presure modes

Most shortcuts are specified in the GUI (toggle with space).

Bye!

markcw(Posted 2009) [#2]
o_O

Looks, er pretty. :)

Xzider(Posted 2009) [#3]
Looks good, unfortunately I can't try it right now:(

Ked(Posted 2009) [#4]
Looks cool. I like the GUI.

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#5]
Yesss. Very good.
Now, and exporter ;-)

JP

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#6]
Looks really cool. Downloading now.

hausmeister(Posted 2009) [#7]
I tested it yesterday, very good but there are some thinks I've trouble with.

1. I hadn't found where I can rotate the camera

2. It's mayby too difficult to switch the raise/lower tool to Paint/Noise tool

3. ZJP said it too, exporter?

4. How much would it be? Or Maybe for free?

Best wishes from Germany

Mortiis(Posted 2009) [#8]
I was planning to create some b3d exportable terrain editor but couldn't find time. I didn't test it yet, but I would use WinBlitz3D for the gui and would make it windowed. If you make it freeware and add the feature to import b3d models and placement of them, I would pay for it.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#9]
Looks a very sharp looking editor. We need someone to create an editor that allows you to import your own mesh and terrain paint it :o)

Mortiis(Posted 2009) [#10]
We need someone to create an editor that allows you to import your own mesh and terrain paint it :o)

Like tatoo?

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#11]
Like tatoo?
Bosz! De Plane! De Plane!

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#12]
"If you make it freeware and add the feature to import b3d models and placement of them, I would pay for it."

You would pay if it were free?

What if he charges? Will you buy it?

kochOn(Posted 2009) [#13]
Thanks to all,

I've updated the file and now you can choose between different SkyBoxes and Water Textures.

I tested it yesterday, very good but there are some thinks I've trouble with.

1. I hadn't found where I can rotate the camera

2. It's mayby too difficult to switch the raise/lower tool to Paint/Noise tool

3. ZJP said it too, exporter?

4. How much would it be? Or Maybe for free?

Best wishes from Germany

1. Rotate the camera by holding Alt key while you moves (by holding Ctrl key you can modify the distance too).

2. Now you can select a tool in edit mode by pressing 1,...5 key and switch between texture layers with 7, 8, 9, 0 keys. You can also hold Ctrl with mouse wheel to select a tool, and hold Shift with mouse wheel to select a brush.

3. This is yet an alpha version and I have to work on save/export functions and other stuffs too. Indeed, you can take a SnapShot (TAB Key in editing mode) and show what you can quickly design (It ll surely encourage me).

4. If I ve got much appreciations, and great captures, it will surely be free (but there's still a lot to do).

I was planning to create some b3d exportable terrain editor but couldn't find time. I didn't test it yet, but I would use WinBlitz3D for the gui and would make it windowed. If you make it freeware and add the feature to import b3d models and placement of them, I would pay for it.

Need to accomplish what I ve initialy planned then i will work on the Import functions and lightmapping.

Bye, köchOn

jhocking(Posted 2009) [#14]
The mesh sculpting tools are very cool! The terrain painting tools are pretty rough though. Perhaps I just missed these options, but you should give an option to speed up the brush because right now it is really slow to apply textures. Also, there should be a control for each texture to set the number of repeats/scale the texture.

Incidentally, I'm assuming the approach you are taking is multiple layers with vertex alpha, like a number of other Blitz terrain tools do it.

Mortiis(Posted 2009) [#15]
You would pay if it were free?

lol! I won't post anything again, while studying for finals!

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#16]
Tattoo is ok, much i find it's painting system a bit clunky. I've always loved most terrain painting tool. I found Tattoo's texture painting to be a bit... erm, not-so-good.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#17]
very VERY cool but lacks a bit of real use IMO. I think work on the interface a bit like changing the spray area and also making the amount of spray adjustable. And putting in some culling algo for the terrain itself. Very cool and shows GREAT potential.

Doggie(Posted 2009) [#18]
Looks really good so far. Can it be a heightmap terrain editor also, not just for making meshes? Also I'd map the camera distance to the mousewheel so the user can rotate and zoom at the same time.

kochOn(Posted 2009) [#19]
Thanks again.

Taking considerations of what has been said in this forum and according to what I ve firstly planned, additions are:

- Layer Options: Load a new texture for each layer, Set the repeat factor for the texture, or disable the entire layer (except the first layer which is the base).
- Presure for all sculpt and paint tools.

I' ve also modified how the tools act with the different presures.

Download here:
http://nicoatek.free.fr/temp/KaTEalpha.zip

Need to know the average FPS you vo got.
Please let me know if it is better while I am working on the files menu.

Bye!

Doggie(Posted 2009) [#20]
FPS is variable. When sculpting from a far view about 28-32 when I zoom in it goes up to 50-60 and when painting it remains at 60

on a 2.2ghz duo core 3 gig ram NVIDIA 8600GT

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#21]
Very good one and easy to make things.....nice! :)

LarsG(Posted 2009) [#22]
Very nice editor.. very userfriendly :)

I feel like making a track for an offroad driving game now... :)
(needs exporter first though!! ;))

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#23]
Try and disable v-sync for faster frame rates. Manually sync the fps yourself in code, rather than using the monitors refresh rate. You won't get such a dramatic change in fps when it dips below 60 fps.

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#24]
FPS 80-120
C2D E6600 2.4G, 3Go Ram, GF9600GT.

JP

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#25]

Try and disable v-sync for faster frame rates. Manually sync the fps yourself in code, rather than using the monitors refresh rate. You won't get such a dramatic change in fps when it dips below 60 fps.

Just curious Ross but do you example code?

kochOn(Posted 2009) [#26]
Hi!

Just curious Ross but do you example code?

Think Ross suggestion is for me ;)

I' ve tested with v-sync disabled and it saves a lot of frames (present in next update).

Anyway, there are options you can disable to keep a good frame rate at any distance (Terrain Grid and Reflecting Water Plane).

Terrain of this alpha version is 256x256 (max size), so with terrains of 128x128 or 64x64 you won't have any problems.

Note that I use delta timing at any time so until the frame rate drops under 15 FPS, you shouldn' t have problems to paint or sculpt.

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#27]
...I have a dream...
and exporter of course AND a Blitz3D include parser, like Giles[s].
Yes you can. (Sorry for that. Black people ;-) )

JP

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#28]
lol...ok

kochOn(Posted 2009) [#29]
Here is a new version of KaTE (alpha)

Export option isn't ready yet, but you can now save and load your creations.

I'd like to see what you can do with my tool, so feel free to post captures (TAB key) or send me (e-mail in my profile).

latest additions are:
- New terrain: 4, 8, 16 cells (64x64, 128x128, 256x256)
- Load
- Save: Save the current terrain but also the layout, camera position, etc..
- Save layout to user.ini (keep actual prefs, layers and ambience to use for each new terrain).
- V-sync is now disabled (better framerate)
- minors additions

I am now working on the exporter (this may take a while...)

bye

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#30]
M.A.V after a save or a load.
Kate can not run without deleting the file "user.ini"

Config. XP PRO SP3, C2D E6600, 3GO, GF 9600GT
JP

kochOn(Posted 2009) [#31]
Ooops,

I' ve solved the problem, please download again and test.

Thanks

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#32]
Work well now ;-)

JP

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#33]
I am mightily impressed with your progress with this editor - will download and try later.

kochOn(Posted 2009) [#34]
Here is a little demo of a terrain exported with KaTE:
http://nicoatek.free.fr/temp/Export.zip

- Terrain are exported as b3d files but can't be used without the KaTE library (necessary to pass through alpha problems of blitz).
- The library use a layer based system and you can't use RenderWorld but RenderLayer (for each layer). You must also create new layer(s) to parent your objects to, then use RenderLayer function (this may cause problems to use with other libs but can solve Blitz alpha problems in most situations).
- Water remain as a light blue plane cause some users may want simple annimated textures and experimented others annimated bump with reflection.

First I thought to use splater methods, but it involves the creation and loading of a lot of High quality textures. I will give another try to this with High quality textures for small terrains and Low quality for big ones.

Please tell me what you think about it.

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#35]
HI,

Good. 1900-2200 Fps with "test.B3D"

Does not work with my own level exported: Error "kCreateTerrainLayer: Wrong or missing file!".

JP

PS : Missing a "alpha version number" ;-)

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#36]
I gotta say I love that wireframe on top of the fully textured mesh. If you wouldn't mind, how you're doing that?

Makes it look 100% more pro.

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#37]
Unlike quite a few landscape editors, I found this one very clean to use.

I gotta say I love that wireframe on top of the fully textured mesh

Yeah, i'm loving that too. Usually you're stuck with a switch between textured, or wireframe, not a mix of both....and even on the occasion that a tool does include it, the wireframe usually doesn't blend as well with the terrain as it does in this editor.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#38]
@ Stevie G. You just flip false and use a counter. Keep the application updating itself, but only renderworld when your counter reaches the value for x fps

plash(Posted 2009) [#39]
Very polished, controls are pretty good (I think ALT shouldn't rotate left-to-right backwards from the mouse movement), UI is simple, fast, perfect sculpt and paint tools.

kochOn(Posted 2009) [#40]
Thanks again,

Does not work with my own level exported: Error "kCreateTerrainLayer: Wrong or missing file!".

Here is the latest alpha version with export working.

In the Export folder, there is a TestExport.bb file to test exported files.

Think it will be the last alpha version before KaTe goes beta (and quickly full).
I am about 100% from what I've planned first.

I'd like to see what you users can create with KaTE cause I am mainly a programmer and a poor terrain designer ;)

bye!

Doggie(Posted 2009) [#41]
Thanks

System4 Studios(Posted 2009) [#42]
Thank you very much.. I really wanna start a new project with this terrain editor.

Baystep Productions(Posted 2009) [#43]
Nicely done.

Not a lot of people actually go through with these things and they really help the community. I'm all about flexibility, so my only suggestion is expanding the formats. As in, export to .3DS, .X, etc. as well as accepting PNG textures if it doesn't all ready. Ohh! And of course a BMAX port for those wishing to use 3rd party graphics engines.

kochOn(Posted 2009) [#44]
A new version is ready to download!
http://nicoatek.free.fr/temp/KaTE.zip

Mainly added:
- Export as heightmap
- Export Shadows
- Windowed mode (user.ini -> [misc] section -> windowed=1)

You can try TestExport.bb in the export folder to see how shadows are rendered.

Hope you will enjoy this update.

CP510: Textures are in PNG format. You can also use JPG files to design SkyBoxes but I plan to add JPG for all textures. I am taking considerations of your suggestions (BMAX port shouldnt be so hard to implement, and I need to study X files specificities).

Also Thanks for your interest.
bye...

System4 Studios(Posted 2009) [#45]
Thx!!! Testing it now.. :)

grindalf(Posted 2009) [#46]
would there be any chance of creating an option to make the terrain seamless to another terrain, or at least an option where you can set the height of a single vertex because then i could go along the edge and adjust the hieghts of the vertices to match my other terrains

that was my best go at trying to match them up and it looks terrible.
in my game you can walk for 30 minutes, terrains and props are loaded in slowly as you walk so i need seamless terrains and i love this editer, it just doesent work for me at the moment :(

DreamLoader(Posted 2009) [#47]
would you please do a bmax-minib3d version?(if possible)

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#48]
You could try and move the terrains closer together, or, decrease your camerarange's near to far ratio.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2009) [#49]
Yes you can. (Sorry for that. Black people ;-) )

Dude.... why would that offend black people? quoting obama has nothing to do with black people. You are being racist by apologising. :/

Anyone can quote anyone else regardless of colour, its only an issue of racism if u make it so.

grindalf(Posted 2009) [#50]
@ross was that directed at me? if so then i would get an overlap and flicker in the sections wich do line up.

I have been writeing a program to change the pixel heights myself but I havent tried saving the terrain yet.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#51]
@kochOn: excellent work, I am very impressed -- I'm so gonna make some worlds with this, or at leaset a track for my game..

ZJP(Posted 2009) [#52]
"..Dude.... why would that offend black people? quoting obama has nothing to do with black people. You are being racist by apologising. :/
.."

I do not have enough vocabulary to discuss this in your language. I am French and Black. It was humor. Thank you to forget me. ( Google - good - translate ). Next...

JP

Edit : BTW, Obama with a "O", not obama :-(

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#53]
@kochOn, I am impressed that you even provide the .bb file where you can just paste your code in ...., my next job is to try a landscape in conjunction with JV-ODE, thanks again:

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#54]
This enormous wheel will surely crush us all!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#55]
@Ross C, he he (;-) just wait till its got the other three wheels, couple of axles and a car body attached.... carnage!

Elfrish(Posted 2014) [#56]
Will there be added Import Option for Heightmaps ? raw or g16 bmp please ?

GfK(Posted 2014) [#57]
Will there be added Import Option for Heightmaps ? raw or g16 bmp please ?
The author hasn't posted here in over five years, so no, I shouldn't think so.

Elfrish(Posted 2014) [#58]
Is there any simmiliar tools, this is very handy among the other, simple when i paint terrain - camera moves along the way, there is also heigh grid that shows limit of the area that would be scaled.

Very easy tool .

Kryzon(Posted 2014) [#59]
Use Blender to sculpt your terrain mesh and then bake the mesh as a heightmap:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Tutorials/Textures/Maps/Creating_a_Heightmap_from_a_Plane

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#60]
I'd great fun with this recently, hmmm - not so recently it would appear, 5 years ago!