random Worms like maps

Community Forums/Showcase/random Worms like maps

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#1]
i was bored today so decided to work on an idea i had for random Worms like maps.

it's far from perfect and not optimized, i only spent 2-3 hours off/on with it. but its a start, and hopefully will give someone who wants to make a worms like game some ideas.

i only made a few shapes for testing to cut out the landscape, but one could probably come up with some interesting random maps with a wider veriaty of shapes

Little Video

Source and Exe

anyways enjoy and i hope it helps someone out.

SpaceAce(Posted 2009) [#2]
Interesting timing. I have a big discussion this going on in this thread: http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=82438

Yours looks pretty good, I am definitely going to check out the source.

SpaceAce

therevills(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thanks for this KingNothing, always liked the Worms games...

Looking at the source, your map generator works like this:

1. fill the entire screen with one of the land patterns
2. fill it with your land tiles
3. recapture the screen to an image

Then in the game:

1. clear the screen
2. draw the graphics what you captured earlier
3. flip
4. if the mouse is clicked draw the hole image
5. recapture the screen

Is this right?

You can see slow down when you click the mouse, but pretty good for a couple of hours work...

InvisibleKid(Posted 2009) [#4]
@SpaceAce
yep i saw your thread thats what sparked my interest in trying out the idea i had. i didn't post this in your thread though because skimming through it, it looked like i was attempting a completly different approach then what people were explaing to try.

i look forward to checking out your version when its ready.

@therevills
yep your pretty much right.
i was trying to take a cookie cutter approach, as in the land is the dough, and the shapes are the cookie cutters.

i know about the slowdown and might try to see if i can improve on that part, but at the same time i figured that it wasn't too much of a big deal for a turned based worms like game. i didn't add it in this little example but one possible workaround could be add an expanding explosion particle (obviously depending on the type of weapon that would be used) and maybe even add in a screen flash to kinda trick the users eyes.

all in all though i had/have no intention in making this into a game at this time, i just wanted to test out an idea and put it up to give SpaceAce and anyone else who wants to make a worms like game some ideas to work off of.

oh and btw i've always liked the worms games aswell, although not bad i prefer the older 2d ones to the 3d ones (but forts is kinda cool) i even bought the xbla ver of worms very fun indeed.

SpaceAce(Posted 2009) [#5]
KingNothing,
You can probably eliminate the slowdown by chopping the screen into multiple images, then only manipulate/redraw the ones changed by the "explosion."

SpaceAce