Spectacularly Unimpressive DX9 Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Spectacularly Unimpressive DX9 Demo

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#1]
If you only try one DX9 demo this year, I'd seriously try to find another one. However, if you'd like to help me test dependendencies, that would be very much appreciated. This is a tiny ( 80kb ) download which does nothing but open a window, put a DX9 context on it, and clean up after itself after you close the window. ( Click the close button, pressing escape will do nothing.)

If it works correctly, all you should see is a Window with a black background. Nothing else at all. As I say, this isn't to test my prowess with DX9, but I do want to know if I've managed to get all the project settings correct. The idea is that it should work on any machine with the latest version of DX9.0c ( which was released in November, 2008. ) You'll need to get it if you don't have it. Technically it does require hardware T&L, but I doubt any pre-Geforce 1 cards are still around.

If you don't have the .Net framework, this *should* work because I don't use it. If not, please tell me.

If you don't have the Visual C++ 2008 runtimes, this *should* work because I set it to bind them statically. If not, please tell me.

If you don't have the November 2008 release of DX9.0c it won't work. You'll need to get that.

Download (thanks to Amon for hosting) :

http://www.kamikazekrow.com/tv3d/DX9Test.zip

All I want to know is that it runs, doesn't show any errors, doesn't freeze or crash, and it will create a text file called TestDebug.txt as well but that's not important.

In lieu of recent concerns, feel free to nail it down with a firewall, it doesn't need any kind of net access.

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#2]
I tried it and it didn't work. I probably didn't have a very recent directx so I downloaded directx_nov2008_redist.exe from www.filehippo.com (here). After extracting that file and running the directx setup program I tried again (I also tried restarting the computer first) but it still didn't work.

A window with an application error appears. The error is in Dutch but could be translated to:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002). Click OK to end the application."

(The text file was not created.)

My computer: Pentium 4, 1.71 GHz, 1 GB RAM, running Windows XP Home, sp 3
Graphics card: ATI Radeon 9600, 256 MB

I have the .NET framework (3.0, service pack 1).
I don't have the Visual C++ 2008 runtimes.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thanks Foppy. Clearly I don't have the dependancies eliminated as I thought I did. Gonna have to fiddle with this a bit, because Dependency Walker says I'm good to go.

EDIT: Ah, it's not statically linking the Visual C++ runtimes still. I'm guessing I have to change the project settings separately for Release and Debug. Will upload a fixed version shortly.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#4]
OK, new version uploaded which is definitely statically linking the VC runtimes. Hopefully it should work now.

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#5]
It works! :D

I see a window with nothing but a black background.

And the debug file says: "Testing The DebugLog" ;)

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#6]
Great, thanks for testing!

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#7]
Works on this system:

Athlon 1.4GHz
1GB RAM
GeForce4 MX 4000 64MB RAM
Much older version of DX 9.0c (the last 2-3 broke compatibility with a lot of programs for me)

Debug file says: Testing The DebugLog

Barnabius(Posted 2009) [#8]
Works correctly on my system (ATI 3870).

Barney

MGE(Posted 2009) [#9]
Ok2go. - Intel 82845G, 2.93ghz Celeron, XP, 512mb

jsp(Posted 2009) [#10]
Works fine here
Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#11]
I see a black screen of death....

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#12]
Me too. But A log file was generated. After I manually killed the window.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#13]
hmmm same here... bsd. black screen of death

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#14]
Thanks guys, I'm very pleased by the turnout.

Could someone please define black screen of death and manually closing for me? I mean all it's supposed to do it open a window with a black background and the only way to close it is to click the close button. So in that sense, a black screen and manually closing is what it's supposed to do, but I'm not sure if you're implying more than that.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#15]
Works OK here on ATI X1650XT.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#16]
Yes I just closed it with the little x at the top right.

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#17]
^ +1

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#18]
it works fine here with intel gfx

John Blackledge(Posted 2009) [#19]
Works fine here.
XP Home Pentium4 1.60 Ghz 768MB Ram, Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200, DirectX 9.0c

MGE(Posted 2009) [#20]
Can't wait for the next step in this tech demo. Maybe you could print "Hello World". ;) J/K lol...

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#21]
Great, thanks everyone. Seems like I have the dependencies sorted, and it has no problems initializing on a wide range of hardware, so that's all good.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#22]
put some geometry and text on the next one with a F.P. Second!

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#23]
Gabriel, I see your game is coming along very nicely. How on earth did you get the background black?! (friendly humor btw...)

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#24]
(friendly humor btw...)

You have friends now? When did this happen? (in the same spirit, of course)