Day/Night Cycle

Community Forums/Showcase/Day/Night Cycle

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#1]
I was bored this morning so I've coded a day/night cycle thingy. Took me 20 minutes. It contains no trojans or viruses.

http://files.filefront.com/DayNightzip/;12897725;/fileinfo.html

johnnyfreak(Posted 2008) [#2]
Some screens?

degac(Posted 2008) [#3]

It contains no trojans or viruses

Lol - I think I print some t-shirt with this sentence and I will sell them!

Of course I'm just kidding :D

By the way I get this

Error
Invalid download code. Please request a new one.

From when I need to post my email to get a file?

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#4]
From when I need to post my email to get a file?

To be fair, he only said "no trojans or viruses". He didn't say anything about email harvesting :p

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#5]
Allright here is a RapidShare link if you don't trust filehosting.org

http://rapidshare.com/files/178459953/DayNight.zip.html

degac(Posted 2008) [#6]
Nice effect!

Taron(Posted 2008) [#7]
You've mixed up dusk and dawn...

remember the vampire movie from dusk til dawn? 8)
(that's how I used to remind myself!) ;)

Decent color choices, well done!

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#8]
very coolio, but as taron said, i think you confused the cycle a bit(should be: Morning, Day, Dusk, Night, Dawn, then over again.)

other than that, looks great!

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#9]
3d or 2d?

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#10]
It is 3D and really very very simple. 15-20 lines of code, I don't have it with me right now so I don't have the exact number.

Yep you are right I may be confused the cycle, but keep in mind that I'm not an english speaking person.(I mean it's not my main language, I'm Turkish)

There are 4 spheres textured with seperate textures, each texture is the same skyphere texture, I just played with their hue in Photoshop.

I start them all with zero alpha except the dusk, and I just use a loop to decrease the first ones alpha while increasing the second then the third and finally the fourth, one by one and start over again.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#11]
Aaah, I hate free file hosting services, now there is a 10 download limit in RapidShare! I would really appreciate it if any of you guys can upload it somewhere. (If you haven't deleted it yet)

plash(Posted 2008) [#12]
FILEFRONT.

Due to the recent trojanism I will not be playing with anyone's stuff, post screenshots if you want some (me) to see it.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#13]
How can I showcase a dynamic day/night cycle with screenshots Plash?..I really can't believe that trojan fear. Do you think there is a secret organization of us trying to get your account information? I have all the blitz products and I am an active member of blitz community, why would I want to attack?

Anyway the guy who posted the trojan achieved what he wanted, we can't showcase our programs anymore...

plash(Posted 2008) [#14]
I have all the blitz products and I am an active member of blitz community, why would I want to attack?
No clue.

Anyway the guy who posted the trojan achieved what he wanted, we can't showcase our programs anymore...
You seem so certain that is what he/she wanted.

How can I showcase a dynamic day/night cycle with screenshots Plash?
Fraps should get you somewhere.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#15]
Plash what is your problem? I would never ever try to harm anyone in any website or forum, I'm not an egoist "H4x0rr!!11!!1"

You speak like I did something before and I can't understand what is your problem with me that makes you post that aggresive posts.

Really now, why would you do that to just any guy in the forum, if you don't want to download it, you just don't download it and go look some other thread as a normal healthy person.

What is my relation with that trojan anyway?

plash(Posted 2009) [#16]
Plash what is your problem? I would never ever try to harm anyone in any website or forum, I'm not an egoist "H4x0rr!!11!!1"
I didn't say you were, I'm simply stating the fact that some people may not try it because of recent events.

You speak like I did something before and I can't understand what is your problem with me that makes you post that aggresive posts.
Sorry to mislead you, I do not think you did anything wrong, simply that I will not be downloading this or anything else from the forums because of recent events.

:)

Amon(Posted 2009) [#17]
@Plash

Well then you may aswell not download anything ever from anywhere. Th trojan has been identified and is on its way to being added to anti-virus and adaware software so that it, and any variations of it, can't cause anymore problems.

As with all trojans they need access to the web in order to become effective.

In the time I've been on these forums, about 8 years and before that on BlitzCoder (ahhh BlitzCoder RIP) there have only been 2-3 occurances of things like this.

People here are pretty safe. Don't let one guy ruin your experience of these forums and the demos and games people offer.

If you're really that paranoid then don't give Trojans any help by storring passwords etc in your browser. It's annoying but it's better than implementing an all out ban on yourself from downloading things from here.

Sarper is a good blitzer. I have hired him as a 3D Modeller in the past, not that long ago, for a small job. He delivered what was promissed.

It's safe to say with 100% certainty that Sarper is not after your bank details or anything.

plash(Posted 2009) [#18]
Don't let one guy ruin your experience of these forums and the demos and games people offer.
Somehow I feel no experience lost.

meh..

Keep whacking that horse until your ABSOLUTELY certain its dead!

puki(Posted 2009) [#19]
The trojan poster will die in prison if I get my way.

degac(Posted 2009) [#20]
Eh! Paranoia is not safe...I dont' want to stay at the window because 'out' could be a dangerous place.
I've learned the lesson: from now I dont' save anymore any password in FF, so the risk should be lower. I will do more frequent antivirus/malware scansion on the system, but the risk will be NEVER 0.

I've downloaded and run the program without problem. And the night-day cycle is very attractive!
A screenshot doesn't give you the idea.
Maybe a youtube video, but I think 20 minutes to create the program against 20 (or more) to make the video and upload to youtube/vimeo. Is faster download and run it!

The only problem is using external site to place software - I really dont' like email sending and/or timer downloading...and generally speacking - this sort of site is know as a 'suspect' source of malware or other things...

I really suggest Mortiis (and other people) to take in consideration buying/setting up a web-site free (or cheaper) to post their works.

And Mortiis is not a 'new' member, he has already posted different works in the past.

nrasool(Posted 2009) [#21]
Salaam Mortiis, Please could you upload this to http://uploadhosted.filefront.com/ as I want to check it out

Many thanks

Mortiis(Posted 2009) [#22]
Selam nrasool, Allright I'll do that, I'll be back to my house in monday so you'll have to wait til then, sorry about the delay.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#23]
i trust the day is longer than those of another day night cycle i dare not meantion (for fear of saying its name 3 times it might return :p )

the first link is now the second link so i couldnt download it from there

ive used send space in the past (for nipping vocals to the other half of 'the band') and could have hosted it for a wee bit, but without the old url to get it from i cant

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#24]
I think some common sence can be applied to this whole situation. You can usually tell from the way active members of the community act, whether their account has been taken over. So, i'm not going to be scared of downloading a file from someone i know to be genuine.

As for the newer members, i'll play it a bit safer.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#25]
i know one new user (cant remember his/her name) always filefronted code snippets instead of code boxing em to the thread s/he was asking help from

why not post the code? looked suspect
but there are very few people here i wouldnt download demos off before or after this whole affair
perhaps a blacklist is called for, for the trojan poster and suspected or confirmed account thefts. mind you that wouldnt help seeing as niks can change, even if the user id stays the same

Rck(Posted 2009) [#26]
trojan-related thoughts:

to get people to try our EXEs you just need an extended presence in the community and possibly also have the project development displayed in a worklog (a trusted location in terms of dates) showing screens of original work with enough complexity to be a dedicated development project.

not much to do about hijacked accounts tho; the email address change process is unclear to me but it seems an entire account can be swiped without recourse once the username/password combo is out.

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#27]

I've basically always required screenshots, demo video or code before trying stuff out, but the threat isn't necessarily YOU, but someone who may have gained access to your account and posted this. Clearly, that would not be the first time it could have happened.

People were paranoid even before the event. If you want more people to try out your showcase, unfortunately screenshots/video is a pretty good assist on that part.

Mortiis(Posted 2009) [#28]
Allright I added Screenshots and the new FileFront link to download.

http://files.filefront.com/DayNightzip/;12897725;/

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#29]
Nice. Simple but extremely effective.

Ked(Posted 2009) [#30]
Looks good. IMO, the colors aren't very vibrant.