Space Combat Game V1.0 - Download

Community Forums/Showcase/Space Combat Game V1.0 - Download

Matty(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hello All,

Hope this isn't considered spamming as I have created a number of threads relating to my game. I'll try to keep everything under this one from now on..

Game download: (11 MB) (See thread further down for details of new download)

EDIT - Removed
http://home.people.net.au/~tmalcolm/tom/SpaceBlastSetup.exe

or if that fails

EDIT - Removed
http://home.people.net.au/%7Etmalcolm/tom/SpaceBlastSetup.exe

Instructions in the installer on how to play, it works best with a joystick but can be played with mouse(and keyboard) also if no joystick is connected.

See the other threads for video footage/screenshots of the game.

Hope you enjoy playing it.

from Matt

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#2]
the download worked this time. downloading now..

therevills(Posted 2008) [#3]
LOL... just put 10 types of each ships on each side:

Killed my PC... about 1-2fps!! Once about 80 ships were destroyed it increase a bit ;-)

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#4]
i put about 3 ships on each side but I couldnt find them

Matty(Posted 2008) [#5]
100 ships on each side is a bit much....or well more than I intended it to run smoothly at. Approximately 10-20 ships per side, more if you are using fighters/bombers should be easily sufficient.

I've been working on making it multiplayer, it's coming along nicely, just need to do more testing though...

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#6]
Oh hey, cool! this brings back fond memories of my old Supernova X2 project- Keep at it! :-)

Matty(Posted 2009) [#7]
Hello All,

Here is an update to this game of mine. (7.7MB in download at location below)

See earlier threads/screenshots/videos for details.

http://home.people.net.au/%7Etmalcolm/tom/SpaceBlast.zip

New Download Contains:

Multiplayer gameplay -> Designed currently for LAN play not INTERNET (need to tighten the network code).

1 PC needs to be designated as a server and any number of player can join (well to be honest - 2 can join the server making 2 players and 1 server (not a player but they can watch...), I've tried with 3 and sometimes the 3rd player can connect at other times they can't).

When running the server you have the option of running merely calculating the gameplay (Answer Yes - 'Black Box' at startup prompt) or allow the server to view the gameplay.

Once at the screen containing the ship selection the server selects a group of ships (or none if only player ships are desired) and presses "Play".

The client PCs need to specify the IP and their name/call sign. Once the server is up and running, and is in a game session, the player can join by selecting a ship either from red team (top row) or blue team (bottom row) and pressing Play.

If all goes as planned the Client should find themselves in the cockpit of their fighter/bomber and in the midst of battle.

Enhanced gameplay features so far:

Radar HUD showing relative location of all ships blue or red around the ship (left HUD radar) and relative location in the front 180degree arc of the ship (right HUD radar).

Also all ships appear with HUD reticules around them indicating whether they are friendly or enemy, as well as the distance from their ship to your own. Other client ships are shown with their callsign above the HUD reticule.

Ship damage details - it is possible to have sub systems damaged such as your engines, flight stabilisers, targeting and weapons.

Lock ons - it is possible to lock onto targets with your lasers, using the new autotargeting technique that allows your guns to pivot to point at a locked on target. Any target which is fired at within 700 metres of your ship will be targeted, and if targeted long enough will be locked, unless they fly out of view. Autotargeting will only target enemies.

Afterburner Boost - a brief 2-3 second burst of speed is possible with a 30 second delay before activating it again.

Keys / Joystick bindings:

If Joystick used:
Joystick controls direction faced, Z-axis controls speed, button 1 = shoot, button 3 = afterburner, button 4 = fine rotation control
Mouse left/right controls where you are looking out the window of the cockpit.

If Mouse is used:
Mouse controls direction, left button shoots, right button gives fine control over direction, A/Z controls throttle, Space bar controls afterburner.

ESCAPE exits to ship selection.

Thanks,

Oh...some issues I'd like to find some information on:

Is it better in a Network game for the server to spit out lots of little packets every so often, or 1 big packet every so often?

And I'd love to know why I'm finding it difficult to get more than 2-3 players to join a game, but that will need more testing..unless their is an obvious reason I'm missing (is there a limit on number of connections to a port for instance? - I'm using UDP)

Thanks, again.

Matt

elcoo(Posted 2009) [#8]
It would be better to send all the positions of all ships in one big packet. Let's say you've got 20 ships. If you send the position of each ship every frame most packets propably won't even reach the client. Maybe the lag would be a bit lower but it would cause the ships to jump from position to position unless you've got a really good interpolating algorythm.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#9]
Hi Elcoo - I don't send updates every frame, and the ships do move smoothly.

Currently I send a position/orientation update every 100 milliseconds, however the update is done in many small packets containing the information for each ship in a separate packet. Would it be better to still update every 100 milliseconds but to send 1 packet with all the ships information.

IE - if 10 ships then is it better, when the network updates, to send 1 packet with all the ships information or 10 small packets with each ship's information.

elcoo(Posted 2009) [#10]
Mhh interesting. I tried something similar using raknet but it looked crappy or it had to much lag.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#11]
Good Morning,

Updated multiplayer game:

http://home.people.net.au/%7Etmalcolm/tom/SpaceBlast.zip

or

http://home.people.net.au/~tmalcolm/tom/SpaceBlast.zip

7.7 MB download.

See screenshots above.

Fixed - tightened network code, minor enhancements (radar, targeting circles, systems damage), minor bug fixes

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who tests it on more than 4 PCs at once to see how it goes.

You need to run the server on 1 PC and connect with clients each on their own PC.

from Matt

Matty(Posted 2009) [#12]
So anyone want to try out the multiplayer version?

Matty(Posted 2009) [#13]
Anyone..?

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#14]
I'll try... last time it didn't work too well on my computer.

I don't know how to play either, but I'll help test.