"christmas-ish" demo with source

Community Forums/Showcase/"christmas-ish" demo with source

Xip(Posted 2008) [#1]
I try to write something small and "fun" for special events(bithdays, christmas, newyear...and so on), and so i have once again :)

And this year i wanted something that i could use as a screensaver, something cosy, in the colors i associate with christmas.
I also wanted to find insperation from all the flashing Christmas tree decorations, and this is what i came up with.

and i'm also droping the source as an little christmas bonus for evryone interested :-D

I might still do a few updates, and I might even make a screensaver out of this. (if no one else does it before me)
time will tell :-)

oh... and... uhm, i should proberbly warn you, this "demo" tends to make you a bit dizzy on long exposure... I had to learn it the hard way :x

Merry christmas evryone :D

screenshot:

download:
http://xip.software.googlepages.com/XmasRotDemo.rar

spacerat(Posted 2008) [#2]
Looks quite nice, I think you've captured that Christmas lights effect well in a strange, rounded square sort of way. I'm not sure how long I'd be able to look at it before starting to feel the effects of motion sickness though.

One thing I noticed in your code is that you haven't put a Framework in. Do you realise you can reduce your .exe's size to 262 kb, all you have to do is stick

below the Superstrict. It speeds up compile time massively too.

_33(Posted 2008) [#3]
Why is your 7K source generates 1MB executable? I tought BlitzMax made compact executables?

Xip(Posted 2008) [#4]
One thing I noticed in your code is that you haven't put a Framework in. Do you realise you can reduce your .exe's size to 262 kb, all you have to do is stick

Offcourse i know this, but its more a mather of laziness on my behalf.

I would add it in the end to all my projects to trim/optimize things, but i dont bother to do it evry time i write a few lines for a new project. with todays high speed broadbands and 300-1000gb hard disks, 1mb is not relly a big deal to me;)

but in the interest of evryone else downloading this(and maybe on slower broadbands), i will make the change.

Why is your 7K source generates 1MB executable? I tought BlitzMax made compact executables?

For the reason Spacerat mention abouve - Laziness. ;)

[Edit]
I have updated the exe and source with one using Framework, and i also noticed i had forgoten to init the seedrnd, so this has been added to.