Retro remake comp

Community Forums/Showcase/Retro remake comp

grindalf(Posted 2008) [#1]
Ive just finished my entry into the retro remake competition(super mario kart) and seeing as how the deadline is the 13th i am desprate for testing

please could as many people test and let me know how it goes
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?oie2nenigra

i will try and upload a couple of snapshots but it doesent seem to be working

--controlls--
up is accelarate
down is reverse
space is use item
p takes snapshot
Esc escapes from almost any menu

EDIT: heres a couple of images

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#2]
Hi, I tried it using the WINE emulator in Linux...

-The selection screen when selecting CC and cup are slanted and don't look right.
-Got a Memory Access Violation when selecting Koopa (which by the way, make-shift koopa is very cool :)

Again though, I'm using WINE which usually has graphical flaws and I wouldn't be surprised if the MAV is from WINE too... wait till someone with real windows tries.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#3]
Looks great!

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#4]
only tested it briefly, but i didn't have the problems Sauer mentioned. its pretty neat i like it.

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#5]
hey this is great.
Couple things though, is the only item a banana? cause thats all I could get. And I dont especially liked the turning, I thought you slid a little too much. And lastly, it was kind of slow. Not running, that was fine. But the carts move realllllyyy slow.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#6]
Looks cool and plays ok....but kick it up a notch with faster driving and original ideas, etc.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#7]
I wouldn't entirely say that supermariokart is a retro game, with 3D texture mapping, but it's pretty close, and your remake is very good :-)

WERDNA(Posted 2008) [#8]
WOW, SUPER IMPRESSIVE GRAPHICS!

I'll download it later and tell you what I think, being a huge fan of the
original.

Although I do agree with MGE. Put in some original ideas of your own.
This is a remake after all, and thus you are free to add some new
content.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#9]
very impressive gameplay. I think MGE is somehwat unfarily comparing it to more recent genrations of mariokart. I originally became a MK fan on the N64 - and I am very impressed - I sense a retroremake podium in the offing - if not there'll be a public outcry.

Good work!

Chad(Posted 2008) [#10]
I ran into a problem on the lava level..

My cart turned sideways and wouldn't correct itsself. It then ended up I couldn't even turn left, when i tried reversing i got flown into the air and into the level. the cloud guy then just stayed above me and didn't save me or anything. I was stuck

Taron(Posted 2008) [#11]
Very cute, it's actually lots of fun. However, at some point Mario was sitting sideways on the track after a bunch of collisions with other players and a tight turn.

Overall it feels like it could use some more aggressive physics (or any for that matter). It seems a little rudimentary, while I believe to remember the original being not even that far off in terms of "reality". But I might be wrong... it's long ago.

I did play a full round at 50cc and emerged victorious, LOL! That's normally a bad sign...hahahahaha....but yeah, it's fun already.

Blitzblaster(Posted 2008) [#12]
Very cool. The game is very funny I play Mario Kart on the Nintendo DS and you have done a cool job, really.