HAMURABI II

Community Forums/Showcase/HAMURABI II

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hello everyone,

This is a little project I've been working on for the past couple of months. It was first coded in 1969, and adapted to BASIC by David Ahl to be featured in his best selling book, 'BASIC Games'. I plan to enter it into the RetroRemakes competition on December 13. But it has been a fun project to distract me from school and such.

So far, everything is functional and the only thing I have to do left (besides fix bugs, improve based on feedback, etc..) is the high scores table. Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Features include three modes of play, save/load functionality, new sound and graphics, war, and soon high scores.

Here is a screenshot (apologies for .bmp format):

UPDATED, BUGS FIXED, SEE POST 9.
And a download link [.zip]:
Download Here!
(If you have a file error please let me know so I can fix ASAP, thanks)

dynaman(Posted 2008) [#2]
That brings back memories, very nice!

John Cage(Posted 2008) [#3]
This is cool! We used to play this with Sinclair ZX81 some years ago:)

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#4]
Thank you, your comments are much appreciated.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#5]
wow I may have played this a LONG time ago, or at least heard about it. Gets fuzzy that far back. Looks neat anyway, good luck in the compo. Maybe you'll win a prize for the most retro game remade!

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#6]
Ha, yeah I'm sure I have that award tied down... but there's some really good stuff coming in this year browsing around the forum.

Oh and to all Linux users, just found out it runs great with the WINE emulator.

KillerX(Posted 2008) [#7]
I crashed the game. Send all your men to fight and it will crash.

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#8]
Oh that's very interesting, thanks for the report! I will fix that immediately, although I'm confused as to why that's happening.

To anyone else; if possible please avoid sending all men to battle until I get new version up (should be sometime tomorrow).

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

EDIT-----------------------
Hi everyone,
Someone over at the RetroRemakes forum pointed out some major flaws in the game, and for this reason it will not be available for download. I've been working on smoothing out some of the major bugs and plan to post a new version sometime tonight.

At first I was really upset that it flopped so badly, but as I am progressively working out all the bugs I feel better, knowing that I am greatly improving the finished product thanks to good feedback.

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#9]
Hi everyone,
Fixed a lot of bugs. These include:
-0 population error
-slow scroll
-inverted arrowkeys
-warped battle system
-flushkeys errors
-negative values
-many others

Also added functional high scores.

The download is available again, and thanks to everyone that already tried it, but more feedback is always appreciated!

Thanks,

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#10]
it's coming along nicely, 1 error i encountered though was after first time launching, and clicking start i clicked on high score and it crashed to the desktop with an error "Invalid Stream Handle", so i launched again and went through the same process and every thing was fine.

so you might want to create a dummy hiscores.dat file and/or do a check to see if the file exists.

this happens both in full screen and windowed. upon crash it does create a hiscores.dat file but there is no such file in the dir before first run.

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#11]
I do have a check for hiscores.dat, but I will investigate further... thanks for the report.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#12]

I do have a check for hiscores.dat

hmmm curious then.

maybe upon clicking start or even after your load routines, if a hiscores.dat file doesn't exist have it create one.

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#13]
Yeah I actually have the check when you try to view the high scores and when they are updated. When I tested it, it worked, so I moved on. Apparently what happened though is that sometime while I was coding I actually created a variable name typo (filin instead of filein) and that's where the problem came from.

You'll also notice you'll get that error when you save, assuming you've achieved a new high score.

But the problem is resolved, just a simple typo is all.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#14]
ah yes the famous typo error, been there done that, i'd suggest if you don't already then use Strict or SuperStrict. they require a little more typing then without but helps against typo errors.

good to hear its resolved.

KillerX(Posted 2008) [#15]
You get impeached for starving less than 45 percent.

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#16]
Were you attacked by the enemy before the harvest?

I spent most of yesterday playing it and tweaking things but the only time that's ever happened to me is when there is an attack, they wipe out half of your population, then over %55 of the remaining population dies, leaving you with %45 of that population and impeachment.