Underwater WIP Video

Community Forums/Showcase/Underwater WIP Video

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#1]
Here's something I've been working on for almost 2 weeks. Google video automatically makes it fit the window, please select the original size. Any comments welcome.

04.12.08 :: NEW VIDEO
Click Me!

30.11.08 :: OLD VIDEO
Click Me!

01.12.08 :: Screenies

Sung(Posted 2008) [#2]
Looks good.

Can you make it darker? This looks like not deeper than 5m :-)

MGE(Posted 2008) [#3]
Needs some water particles moving around so you can sense the water better. ;) Looks good though.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#4]
Can you make it darker? This looks like not deeper than 5m :-)

Nope, I'm aiming for a bit casual graphics. There is no skybox and water surface yet, it will look better with them.

Needs some water particles moving around so you can sense the water better.

Hmm, can you show me an example?

MGE(Posted 2008) [#5]
hmm.. unfortunately no, sorry. Oceans, rivers, etc, have little bits of particles, plankton, aquatic leafy stuff, etc, floating around, in the direction the water is moving (current), etc.

Yan(Posted 2008) [#6]
I'd lose the distortion, it looks like you're on dry land and everything is encased in a watery 'force field'. You don't get refraction effects under water as that only happens when light passes through the interface of two materials that have different densities.

You should have particles floating about, as MGE said, and caustics if the water is meant to be fairly shallow.

...Free underwater reference footage here...

No distortions, just murkiness, particulate material, 'sun beams' and caustics.

[edit]
Also have a look at Endless Ocean
[/edit]

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#7]
Thanks a lot, Endless Ocean looks great, it will be a good reference for graphics. I couldn't see any particles in that though, just advanced lightning, something I can't achieve with Blitz3D.

Regarding the distortion/caustics effect, well screw the realism. I just want to get a nice looking underwater scene. What I'm using right now is, fog, dof, a little glow and an animated normal map to simulate a bit distortion. Without these, it just looks like any FPS game with blue ambient light.

I will add the particles as you suggested, various algae and underwater lifeforms are on the list too. Thanks, once more.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#8]
Try the table fog that comes with fastextend. Is doesn't move when you rotate the camera, like linear fog :o)

Zeotrope(Posted 2008) [#9]
Looks good Mortiis;

Water particles would react similar to dust particles suspended in the air. Forshortening also occurs underwater like a lens.

Caustics look cool....low res video, but I can see some nice stuff there.

I would like to see the under-side of the water surface look like a mirror (rippled) Perhaps u wont need a skybox, just the sun.

Good Stuff!

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#10]
@Ross C: Well, I'm using the third fog mode, dunno what it's called.
@ThermO: Thanks. Yes I will add an emitter fixed 30-40 units front of the camera to simulate underwater particles.

Check out the new screenshots.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#11]
Def need some underwater particles or plantlife inside the structure waving about. In the new screen shot it kind of looks like you're in an underwater spaceship looking out from the bridge. :) Still...looks very cool though.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#12]
Underwater spaceship? lol what's that?

Yep underwater plantlife and all the particles will be done this week.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#13]
Ah sorry, it was hard to tell in that video :o)

skn3(Posted 2008) [#14]
Don't forget bubbles :) Perhaps you could achieve a "thicker" fog using large particles. As you might do when making smoke.

puki(Posted 2008) [#15]
This looks exciting.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#16]
Have you tried giving the fog near range as a negative? It gives the effect of the fog saturating the screen.

Zeotrope(Posted 2008) [#17]
@skn3[ac] Bubbles? From what? Scuba? Farts?

Dont go the way of typical plant-life; Think KELP. Look at the following LINK with sun beams and Giant kelp. This would give the feeling of real depth, plus you could cast some great shadows on the sea bed.

Click here!

.....also, go turtles and schooling fish. :) I'd like to finish my curreny project (HA-no luck there) and move on to an underwater engine, so I am really interested in what you come up with.

New shots are nice btw.

skn3(Posted 2008) [#18]
@skn3[ac] Bubbles? From what? Scuba? Farts?

lol. well he did say "casual underwater".

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#19]
To clarify things a bit, it will be a casual game where you play the role of
a 50's diver. There will be a HUD with diver helmet and stuff and there will be bubbles etc.

Something like this;

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#20]
I added a new video with bubble particles and a very early HUD just to test things out. I also added the caustics and tweaked distortion. All the comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Click Me!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#21]
Looks neat to me at first glance.