Cubism

Community Forums/Showcase/Cubism

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2008) [#1]
I have been working on a block puzzle game called Cubism lately, and just wanted to show you.

Download demo ( 1.6 mb )

Website (with screens and videos)

The demo has a limit of 5 levels on the first shape only, and no time trial and free form modes, and no editor. See videos on website for those.

Controls:

- Move bricks by dragging them at their center with the left mouse button
- Rotate bricks by dragging them at their edges with the left mouse button
- Drag bricks onto cube frame to place them
- Double click a brick to mirror it
- Rotate view with the right mouse button

Hope you like the controls, you basically move a brick, as you would move a piece of paper on a table with just one finger.

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#2]
Really nice presentation and controls. A bit too hard for me, spent about 12 mins trying todo level 1 on one block and got too frustrated and quit.

Hopefully it will sit well with your target audience though.

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yep, very well done. But it is pretty tough.

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#4]
that looks really nice

MGE(Posted 2008) [#5]
Needs to be world's easier if you plan on earning revenue with it. Give the user a few levels to feel proud of their success. ;)

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#6]
It's a 3D jigsaw! Any plans to put proper pictures on them? Would definitely help make it a bit easier.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#7]
Hi Jeppe, looks well conceived. I like the way the pieces fit in when you're close enough. I think an online high score system based on time would increase the fun.

big10p(Posted 2008) [#8]
Ooh, this looks nice. Will have to give it a try when my brain is feeling a bit fitter. :)

[edit] Yeah a bit too tough and frustrating for me. I always ended up with just 1 peg in the wrong place. And that was on level one where its just a cube with one piece per side - goodness knows how difficult later levels are.

jsp(Posted 2008) [#9]
goodness knows how difficult later levels are.

Second level looks quite similar :)

Really nice game, but could take a bit less cpu power for what is happening on the screen.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#10]
haha I thought it was a game about cuba when I clicked on the link... very hard though...

[edit] once I got the hang of it, it took about 5 minutes per level :)

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#11]
A very novel idea. My G/f's mum has 3d jigsaws in her house. I'll need to see how this handles on a computer.

Oh, and the real ones have pictures on them, to help a little :o)

You could have an easy, normal and hard mode where:

Easy: All the pieces to fit a particular side are all the same colour.
Normal: The pieces have a pattern on them to assist.
Hard: No pattern or colour.

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#12]
Great game!

I haven't finished the first level yet but here are my thoughts so far:

1. Put a delay(10) in your main loop. Makes a big difference to your cpu.

2. I think the difficulty is caused in part by the fact that all the pieces are too similar; that is, the middle three tabs on each edge are either in-out-in or out-in-out. There are no in-in-out or other variations. If there were it would be easier to spot unique patterns. (On the other hand it might make it too easy; that's your call).

3. However I wouldn't say it's too difficult; It's really up to you how difficult you want it to be.

If I get any further I'll post more thoughts...

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#13]
Question: Is it possible to flip the pieces?

big10p(Posted 2008) [#14]
You can flip pieces by double clicking on them. I actually think this may be the reason ppl are saying its too hard: being able to rotate the pieces gives enough possibilities.

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#15]
I have to disagree with you there, big10p. I just solved it without flipping, and double clicking didn't have any effect for me. You can rotate them by clicking a corner or edge and dragging, but they don't seem to flip. Jeppe?

jsp(Posted 2008) [#16]
Press Space to flip them!

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#17]
Eureka!

Ok, I just discovered that you can set Brick Complexity to Complex, which makes it much easier (essentially what I said in point 2 in my first post above.)

So Jeppe, just use that as the default and call it Easy rather than Complex.

Also, it should be possible to rotate the pitch beyond 180.

Also, a bug: At one point it would rotate a certain tile to the wrong position when I tried to add it. I would manually rotate it back, and it would do it again. I solved it somehow, perhaps by rotating it back 360 or something. Not sure.

(Thanks jsp. I'm going to avoid flipping though, since it doesn't seem to be necessary so far..)

jsp(Posted 2008) [#18]
Just found out that you could double click to flip as well as big10p stated, but you need to be very(!) fast.

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#19]
Ah, ok. Sorry I maligned you big10p :-)

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2008) [#20]
Thanks for your feedback, I will try to make it a bit easier, the largest cube I have managed to complete, was a 3x1x1 :)

I will look into making different images on faces, this does only make sense for larger cubes than 1x1x1, or the one in the demo, I guess. This will make it easier.

The brick complexity is disabled in the demo, but should be easier on the "simple" mode, in this mode more bricks fits into each other.

The pitch only need to rotate 180, as you can rotate it 360 on the roll, so you can rotate it all the ways you want.

And is the double click a bit too fast?

The full version will have a free form mode, where you have unlimited bricks to build from, see one of the videos on the website.

I like the idea of an online time highscore, I will add this, if I remember there are some tools/code/library floating around, to make it simple right?

And the cpu power, its just blitz, I will put a delay 10, in there :)

Hope I didnt miss something.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#21]
For highscores I think ETNA is the most used lib: http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=160

For code there's a mysql one here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=63869

And these ones are local so would need networked:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1668
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1328
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=171

FischGurke(Posted 2008) [#22]
Hey, I remember those from when I was a kid! It's hard to form the bigger cube when you have little pieces. :)
The idea isn't as novel as some people think. ;p

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#23]

The brick complexity is disabled in the demo, but should be easier on the "simple" mode, in this mode more bricks fits into each other.

... and the more bricks fit into each other, the harder the puzzle is!
In other words, there are more wrong ways, but still only one right way, so that's harder.

As far as images are concerned, I like the textured look you have now.

Will the puzzles be randomly generated or a set sequence of x puzzles? For high scores to work you might need specific puzzles, but a puzzle generator would allow for infinite play.