Biro Block Game

Community Forums/Showcase/Biro Block Game

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi, This is the first game that I have actually completed, first time programming in blitzmax and first ever 2d game. It will be released for free in the next few days on all 4 platforms BlitzMax supports:

www.littlefatgames.om

This is a sneaky peak 'beta' version that I would like to get some feedback on as I have a few evenings to tweak it until my sound guy has finished.

Feedback welcome (esp on game speed, and any bugs found)

Thanks

John Cage(Posted 2008) [#2]
This is really fun! The best Arkanoid clone I have played for a while.

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#3]
Plays well on my new Samsung NC10 'netbook' but the window doesn't fit well on its 1024x600 screen. One of my least fave game genres, but nice style.

Kinda think the page crease would be better falling between game and info areas instead of the middle of the screen.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#4]
>>Brilliant<< Spruce it up a bit and sell it. :)

"Kinda think the page crease would be better falling between game and info areas instead of the middle of the screen."

Agreed.

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#5]
Thanks guys. How di u find the speed of play?

I have a few more styles to experiment with and do some more free games, but I intent to revisit this style in the new year with a collection of minigames all in a notebook.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#6]
Excellent :)

steve_ancell(Posted 2008) [#7]
The game is brilliant over all, but a bit annoying when the mouse exceeds the bounds of the game window. It would be much better in full screen.

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#8]
This is great.

Couple issues:

1. Yes, the mouse thing sucks, hide the mouse and don't let it leave the window. Make the user press the a key (space maybe) to pause the game and give the mouse back. Then when they click the window, hid ethe mouse again and resume.

2. The ball got stuck for me, bouncing back and forth between two unbreakable bricks. You might want to have some way of detecting this and causing the ball to bounce at a slightly different angle to cause it to escape this situation.

Taron(Posted 2008) [#9]
Love it! The crayon kinda stuff is so trendy, so it rides a wave for sure. I like the casual sense of all of them. The problem with most breakout games is that they simply remain breakout games and soon enough graphics become less relevant, but gameplay more and more vital to stay entertained. Except the look it doesn't offer too much more, which eventually will hurt it. Think of something a bit more outrageous and you have yourself a really neat crowd winner! 8)

I'm still having my own pick up on Arkanoid in the brewing stage, while I'm really operating on a big or rather strongly deviating edge for the genre with new aspects to the gameplay, but went for a more "traditional look" with it. It does scare me when something cool pops up that could kick my baby out of the water, but I'm glad to see that we are covering different appeals altogether. Enough so that I'm happy to give you my 2 cents to get your thing rock even harder (in my eyes). And it sure rocks!

Congrats and listen to MGE! I'm sure you could make a good catch with it and it looks and feels as though it'll become worth it big time!

Plays super smooth on my machine, but then I'm running a monster! :}

impixi(Posted 2008) [#10]
Really nice style and an interesting visual representation of an older game type. Would be better full screen to eliminate the mouse issues?

plash(Posted 2008) [#11]
Kinda think the page crease would be better falling between game and info areas instead of the middle of the screen.
Seconded.

I like the style of this game! I did manage to get a ball stuck *inside* a block though!

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#12]
Congratulations, nice music, smart graphics. my PC is 3 years old and plays your game without any problem.

plash(Posted 2008) [#13]
Plays super smooth on my machine, but then I'm running a monster! :}
Ah yes, 8 cores? You already have the Nehalem processor!?

Kev(Posted 2008) [#14]
Much better now chris, told you it had somthing. Im looking forward to your future work :)

Kev

Yan(Posted 2008) [#15]
Very Nice. :o)

I've always loved this loosely animated style (probably too much 'Roobarb and Custard' viewing when I was a nipper). Amongst my first projects with BMax was a space invaders game of this ilk called 'Page Invaders' which, unfortunately, didn't get very far. Even if it did, I very much doubt it would have ended up being as slick as this, top job.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#16]
Neat. Reminds me of http://www.gamextazy.com/games/arkanoids/paperball.html

Chugs40(Posted 2008) [#17]
Hmm, Looks Interesting, I shall try this.

Banshee(Posted 2008) [#18]
You are a genius.

EOF(Posted 2008) [#19]
Nice!

BTW: You have left a "T.bmx" file and (2MB) exe in the sfx folder

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#20]
Thanks Jim, I got rid of it :) was some old test code I typed up to see how sound worked :)