A little Trig and IH Blobs!

Community Forums/Showcase/A little Trig and IH Blobs!

plash(Posted 2008) [#1]
(New thread here)

It has an actual name now! (blobulos)

(Larger)

Default Controls:
F1 - Toggle info/options page
S - Change blob influence mode
A - Change blob draw mode
LeftMouse - Draw (or delete a group of) blobs
RightMouse - Influence blobs
Space - Clear the current blob field

Download page (source and binaries):
http://hosted.filefront.com/poqls/2327272

Project page:
http://www.komiga.com/?q=node/12

plash(Posted 2008) [#2]
Woah!! Try using DrawLine for the texture generation too :P

MGE(Posted 2008) [#3]
You killed my gpu...less than 1 frame per second in either opengl or dx. :) I can at least run it when I create 120 TEnemy instead of 1200. lol..

Very cool btw.

plash(Posted 2008) [#4]
I can do upto like 2000 :P

EDIT: This one has a few changes (be sure to change the resolution)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#5]
You need a lot of `fill rate` in your GPU to do blobs this way. I will check this out tonight ;-)

Taron(Posted 2008) [#6]
Hehehehe, nice! You certainly make me feel right at home! 8)

Yup, it's a little on the slow side here, too, but a neat idea! ;)
...very pretty!

smilertoo(Posted 2008) [#7]
doesnt work for me, youre using 1 or more non standard modules.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#8]
I had to remove all of the framework and import stuff to make it work on my end.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#9]
Me too, no Bah module, converted Rnd to Rand, and removed the framework. Interesting effect, not quite sure what you're trying to achieve with it though?

plash(Posted 2008) [#10]
Nothing really, it just looked cool. I forgot no one has all of Brucey's module :x.

I'll change it for *standard* users.

Taron(Posted 2008) [#11]
I did download the BaH.random and appearantly had the rest, hehe... (?!)...so there were little problems. After winding the amount of items down to 500 it went fairly smooth. I think it looks neat, too.

plash(Posted 2008) [#12]
Ahh that's better.. Changed again so the blobs are affected by range too.

Taron(Posted 2008) [#13]
Hehe, let me know when and how we can have a look at your changes?! :)

Have you checked out my alternative spaceship design, yet?
THREAD: alternative spaceship design for astroids clone

Thought you could get a kick out of it, too... ;}

plash(Posted 2008) [#14]
Hehe, let me know when and how we can have a look at your changes?! :)
The code is already changed..
Have you checked out my alternative spaceship design, yet?
THREAD: alternative spaceship design for astroids clone

Thought you could get a kick out of it, too... ;}
I'm going to assume you meant to post that in the Star Opus thread :)

Taron(Posted 2008) [#15]
YES, but I didn't want to pollute it!
I've uploaded a new version, too, by the way!

I also thought already that you may have just changed the above code... guess I'm just to wrapped into my little space exploration! 8}

...just worte a tiny silly fractal noise type of thingy to make a big background nebula... kinda nice, but super primitive.

plash(Posted 2008) [#16]
I also thought already that you may have just changed the above code... guess I'm just to wrapped into my little space exploration! 8}
Yes, I only updated the code at the top of the page - too busy with character rigging for uploads :P.

plash(Posted 2008) [#17]
Ok.. Another change; now you can *paint* the blobs, and the colors are limited now (so they don't become invisible.)

EDIT: Also re-uploaded the binary (Linux binary coming tomorrow, though the same code already works :)

plash(Posted 2008) [#18]
Updated! (see first post)

Fancier now!

Tachyon(Posted 2009) [#19]
Plash: I sent you an email to the address in your profile (regarding use of some of the code you posted above). Just thought I'd mention it here in case you don't check that account regularly.

Tachyon(Posted 2009) [#20]
Hmmm...I tried to contact Plash but have received no response! :-(

I wanted to use a bit of code that he posted above (#4) in my project, but since he never responded I ended up writing my own function to achieve a similar effect without using any his code.

It would have saved me 2 hours had Plash given me permission to use some of that code, but I actually learned some things by coding a similar effect (and improving upon it actually) so in the end it was worth my time!

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#21]
Hey Tachyon, while you're 'here' can I use that image on your web page with the lizard and the MMORPG? I think it's great.

Sorry for the off topic...

Tachyon(Posted 2009) [#22]
Sauer: yes you can. Since it is our own logo, any mention of Basilisk Games or links back to us are very much appreciated (though not required).

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#23]
Will do, thanks a ton.

plash(Posted 2009) [#24]
It would have saved me 2 hours had Plash given me permission to use some of that code, but I actually learned some things by coding a similar effect (and improving upon it actually) so in the end it was worth my time!
Sorry! I've not been visiting the forums recently. Replied to your email :)

P.S. You might want to check out blobulos' code, I'm not certain if it has any improvements to the rendering code or not though.

Tachyon(Posted 2009) [#25]
No problem, Plash! I just want to make sure I do everything proper. Although I rewrote pretty much all the code already, it's still your idea and it's only right to get permission.

Thanks!